Sign in to follow this  

castlerock outdoors race years back..???

i am trying to find where it was or even pix of it. im talking about the one that rick johnson lost the championship at. not any new one... i know its not going or anything... just would like to know where it was and see some pix of it or vids would be great!!

I was at that race. The year was 1982 when he exploded his front wheel off a jump. I know the track was south of Castle Rock and west of I-25. I currently live in Castle Rock and spent one afternoon last summer driving around trying to figure it out. Been so long ago and so much has changed in the last 27 years I couldn't remember. I'm thinking it was close to where Bear Dance golf course is? If someone knows for sure I would love to know also.

glad to know im not the only one that doesn't know where it is... also it would be cool to know why the track closed down... and when!! its hard to think a track that is hosting a ama mx is closed today... i can see the older ones "moving" but to drop off the map and never hear about again. its like this track is erased from history except for the rick johnson race!! thats the only one you even hear about!

That would be Larkspur. I wouldn't have thought there would be enough room for the track with all of the trees. Maybe a little further north, (north of Tomah Road) closer to where the current Castle Rock reservoir is?

I work with some long time Castle Rock residents. They claim it was about 5 miles South of Castle Rock off the frontage road to the West. To the North of Tomah. Its near an exsisting Subdivision called Yucca Hills. According to him a developer owns the property and has built roads. But no houses were ever built on it.

Thanks Rich, that's the area I was searching last year in my wondering around. Obviously been so long ago there is no sign of a track but the terrain looked about right. But then again I did turn 42 today and the memory isn't doing so well. I also think that 82 was the only year they ran a national there.

I work with some long time Castle Rock residents. They claim it was about 5 miles South of Castle Rock off the frontage road to the West. To the North of Tomah. Its near an exsisting Subdivision called Yucca Hills. According to him a developer owns the property and has built roads. But no houses were ever built on it.

You're right on! It was a great place. Thanks for the memories...man I'm old :) I was just a kid at the time (grew up in Monument), but I remember it very well.

Thanks Rich, that's the area I was searching last year in my wondering around. Obviously been so long ago there is no sign of a track but the terrain looked about right. But then again I did turn 42 today and the memory isn't doing so well. I also think that 82 was the only year they ran a national there.

You form Castle rock? I have lived here for about 9 years.

Lived in CR for the last 3.5 years - moving back to Littleton / HR area end of April - am a native. Ride one day, snowboard the next and then squeeze in 18 holes - man I love this state.

The track was at the old Continental Divide Raceway (CDR) located south of Castle Rock on the west side of I-25. Back in the 60s they had a paved road course and 1/4 mile drag strip. The mx track was used two years, 82 and 83 and only for the AMA national and an SRAC race the following weekend. The track was really fun with big long uphills, downhills and whooped out straights. The 82 race was a classic Hannah Howerton battle!! I have pics buried in a box somewhere of both years nationals including pics of Chuck Sun, Allan King, Darrell Schultz, Howerton, Hannah, RJs crash following his front wheel collapse and many others. My dad took me there a lot in the 60s to watch sports car and drag races. Hmmm......where's those pictures?

All above stated facts are subject to error due to the time elapsed and age of poster:bonk:

cool thanks for the input... im glad i was able to get some feed back and its good to know i wasn't the only one thinking about this. anyone want to upload some of the pix you may have? i love to see that stuff.

Have you ever seen the Ricky Jhonson "Motocross Files" episode on Speed? It has some footage of the 82 race in Castle Rock. I can't remeber if it is still or video footage.

Until it was mentioned I totally forgot that it was called CDR and that the SRAC raced there the following weekend. I remember the track having alot of elevation changes. I remember for one moto we stood at the bottom of this steep downhill that had 180 and then right back up the hill. I remember Sun on the 500 (i think he won that day) was wfo coming down that hill and everyone was in amazement he didn't crash. Good find guys. Picures would be really cool to see.

Rich, not doing RR tomorrow, might try and do a track day on Sunday instead. Some other time will hook up for RR

I just found my race programs from the two nationals. The correct years were 81 and 82. I also found newspaper clippings and my second place open novice trophy from 1983. They must of had an SRAC race in 83 as well.

I'll get some pics posted in a couple of days after I find my race photos.

:thumbsup: