Sign in to follow this  

I am pulling out my hair over my XR200 kickstarter

HELP ME PLEASE !!!!!! My Xr200 kickstart is not spinning over like it should.

Let me start from the beginning,

1. I got the bike with a bad crank

2. I disassembled the bike, sent the crank off had it rebuilt.

3. Got the crank back in perfect order.

4. Installed crank and built engine up from there.

All along making sure Everything is moving properly, and smoothly, feeling comfortable with each step moving to the next. ( I am a freak about making sure EVERYTHING is properly lubricated) I use Lubriplate Engine Grease.

5. Before I install clutch cover turn engine over with kickstarter, once again

6. Install clutch cover.

7. Mount engine in frame.

8. Add, oil, Sparky, carb, header, muffler, and all the rest.

9. Tonight I Kick the engine over about 6-8 times and throughout the kicks they get a little tighter, and on the last kick I could not turn the engine over!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

What is going on ???????:p:busted::crazy::lol: :lol:

Words cannot begin to describe the thoughts running through my head!!!!!

I am pretty sure its not the crank and I am pretty sure its not the cam or piston or rings.

But am not sure about the kickstarter ?????

What could bind up the kick or seem to stop it from turning, or am I even on the right path?????????

I need help :banghead: :banghead: :foul:

When you were re-installing the right engine case, the collar (#3) that catches the bolt (#13) may have slipped off the bolt. This could cause the return spring (#7) to bind up instead of reset.

3256_KICKSTARTERSPINDLE.gif

That would sound good except I never removed or disassembled this portion of the engine.

I last turned over the engine by hand on the table ( with the kick on without the cover) and it turned over easily.

Could the case cover have misaligned?

Okay. Are the punch marks lined up on the pinion (#4) and the outer collar (#10)?

I'm not absolutely sure this is what is causing the problem. Its just that the symptom you describe (progressive tightening of the kicker) sounds somehow spring related.

In any case, pulling the clutch cover is good idea.

To isolate the problem, try removing the threaded service cap on the left side of the motor (the one you would use to turn the motor over by hand in order to adjust the timing/valves) and try to rotate the motor. If the motor still spins, the problem is definitely in the kicker assembly.

Ok, Thank You! :thumbsup:

I will see if I can get a few moments tomorrow to take off the engine covers and see what the problem is. I also have an XR650L that is crying to be ridden, so she might get a few minutes of ride time in! :usa:

O.k. looked at the bike today, (not real deep) but enough to know that the engine turns over well.

The compression cable from the kick to the head was not adjusted, at all so that was some of the problem.

Got that adjusted made it easier to kick, but still not great. Pulled the sparky could kick over the eng. alot more easily but the kick would still return with hesitation.

The engine fired off after about 6 kicks and as the engine died (i have to get the carb re-adjusted to the 200 it was on my 100 for a while), it made a strange not a grind but sounded like metal to metal high pitch noise.

I only kept it running for a few seconds, maybe 8-10 seconds. So I stopped.

Could the oil pump be bad ?

I could not tell where the noise came from (top or bottom).

What could it be.

I need Help !

:lol::D:busted::smirk: Alright:banghead: :thumbsup::usa::lol: I am not sure what changed but I re started and it runs fine with no Problems I will update when I get more time