Sign in to follow this  

Stanhope Sand Pits

Does anyone remember the Stanhope Sandpits in Northern, NJ? I grew up riding there and that place was magical to me as a kid. I was bummed to hear they plowed it under. I would love to hear stories or even see a pic of that place again. I would come in from Netcong on the tracks, go through town and the graveyard, do a few laps in the Dynapak pits then across the road to the real pits... What was that giant valley called like deadman's gulch or something? Best days of my life skipping school there.

When was that? I grew up in Hopatcong, right on the border with Stanhope. I know kids in my neighborhood used to ride on the tracks out by Brooklyn Stanhope Road but I don't recall sand pits.

I'm sure I know where they were though, I grew up in that area.

I am pretty sure the heyday was the 70's to mid 80's. I remember as a kid seeing dozens of guys setting up with Rickmans, Pentons and all manner of cool bikes. It was near the new Trade center in Stanhope, there is a new RT 206 cloverleaf on part of it now. I also spent plenty of time in Port Morris riding near Hopatcong. I think the Ridge Riders were the local riding club?

I actually live in Stanhope currently, theres not much riding around unless you ride the tracks. There are some cops that are mean some arent.

I am pretty sure the heyday was the 70's to mid 80's. I remember as a kid seeing dozens of guys setting up with Rickmans, Pentons and all manner of cool bikes. It was near the new Trade center in Stanhope, there is a new RT 206 cloverleaf on part of it now. I also spent plenty of time in Port Morris riding near Hopatcong. I think the Ridge Riders were the local riding club?

I wouldn't have been riding then, I was just a younin. :thumbsup: That is pretty cool that there was riding over there, it doesn't surprise me. There was a time when that part of Sussex/Morris was "the woods", now it's just another NYC suburb.

I actually live in Stanhope currently, theres not much riding around unless you ride the tracks. There are some cops that are mean some arent.

That is where I have seen people going. My parents live right near those tracks. I have never ridden them myself and if cops are busting pepole probably won't. We used to go up there and shoot BB guns though. :usa: This is like early 90s though, before they built all the tract housing off of Brooklyn Stanhope near where the tracks used to cross the road.

Saxton Falls is where I think you are remembering. The name of the hill was the Monster. It was great, It seemed so big back then. There would be trucks with trailers lined up by the railroad tracks. It was a great spot.

Saxton Falls is where I think you are remembering. The name of the hill was the Monster. It was great, It seemed so big back then. There would be trucks with trailers lined up by the railroad tracks. It was a great spot.

No way man, Saxton was OK but Stanhope was THE place to go. It had many different sections and trails leading out. I did enjoy Saxton as well heading up those big sand mounds....Do you know where the Cemetery and Dynapak was? Right near there....Fred Hoess the great Enduro rider grew up right across the street from the Pits entrance...