Street Legal Two-Stroke

So here in Washington State I can buy a new KTM two-stroke and the dealer will provide me a temporary paper plate, and, I'm told, the department of motor vehicles will eventually send me a permanent plate. Now I'd get pulled over pretty quick if I took the bike onto the highway, but I'd probably be okay on Forest Service roads.

My question is given the bike doesn't meet EPA emissions standards, so technically shouldn't even be on public property if not racing, and that the VIN presumably indicates this to the DMV, why in the world would they send me a plate? I've known this to be the case for others, but I fear that I'd spend the money on a new bike only to have the DMV decide to enforce the EPA's ruling.

Can anyone shed any light on how state DMV's practices are influenced by the EPA's ruling? Is my DMV free to ignore it, or are they simply choosing to turn the other cheek?

so, you can get a plate, but it's not truely legal to ride on the road? correct?

sounds like a scam to collect more taxes from you each year. do you have to register it?

I am glad I live as far as I can from the west coast.?

• Like 1

In Nevada, there is no emmisions standards per say for motorcycles. It is possible to have your dealer fill out the appropriate paper work for your bike and get it titled and taged.

My 08 XCW now sports a nevada tag. I will never ride it on the road, but i will NEVER need to give california another F'n dime of my money for an out of state sticker again.

Well when I went and got the plate for my bike the Ladies were pretty clueless about the KTM's, there not in the system like your thinking as restriction wise. Mine is dual registered has orv sticker and a street plate. Plate the bike first before anything as later it wil be much harder.

Thanks. Did you have to take the bike to the DMV, or did they just send you a plate in the mail? My dealer tells me that they will just send me the plate.

so, you can get a plate, but it's not truely legal to ride on the road? correct?

sounds like a scam to collect more taxes from you each year. do you have to register it?

I am glad I live as far as I can from the west coast.?

Here in Washington we either need to get an off road sticker, or a plate, but one way or the other we pay the State. Ironically the money provided for the off road sticker doesn't go to our ORV parks, at least not directly.

I grew up riding deserts of California and the hills of Nevada, and this is only my third season back after years of not riding, so all of these regulations are a bit overwhelming.

I'm all for preserving our environment, but, man, I bet the amount of Carbon and Nitrogen put out in a Summer from my lawn mower eclipses that of my CRF.

Sorry, didn't mean to digress. Thank you all for your responses. Seems one can plate a KTM dirt bike in Washington still.

I could probably plate my 200, but then I will be subject to yearly taxes and still won't be legal for highway use. It's just the way my title is stated. NC has gotten pretty good at catching though.

I just don't want them collecting any more than they have to and we don't have to register dirt bikes...yet.

So here in Washington State I can buy a new KTM two-stroke and the dealer will provide me a temporary paper plate, and, I'm told, the department of motor vehicles will eventually send me a permanent plate. Now I'd get pulled over pretty quick if I took the bike onto the highway, but I'd probably be okay on Forest Service roads.

My question is given the bike doesn't meet EPA emissions standards, so technically shouldn't even be on public property if not racing, and that the VIN presumably indicates this to the DMV, why in the world would they send me a plate? I've known this to be the case for others, but I fear that I'd spend the money on a new bike only to have the DMV decide to enforce the EPA's ruling.

Can anyone shed any light on how state DMV's practices are influenced by the EPA's ruling? Is my DMV free to ignore it, or are they simply choosing to turn the other cheek?

Plate should come in the mail, put a light kit/horn on it and you will probably be fine, worst case you will get a warning.

Wa is not concerned about EPA emissions on bikes.....yet....we are not that far behind cali so buy up those smokers. I think you need to add a sparky onto a new ktm and you are good to go with either an orv sticker or plate. You can ride it on public property. It is done all the time, go for it.

ps like said before get the plate first.

I am in PA, got my plate (300 XC-W) from the dealer. I got it inspected once I put the dual sport kit on it.

I had an XR650R that had to go through title reconstruction to get a plate, this KTM was a lot easier!

Thanks. Did you have to take the bike to the DMV, or did they just send you a plate in the mail? My dealer tells me that they will just send me the plate.

They gave me the plate that day and they did not even look at the motorcycle. My bike has 2 registrations one for the sticker and one for the plate. It is more expensive but worth it as once it has been deemed OHV, the sticker it is harder to plate that is why you get the plate first and the sticker second. They sent me the permanent registration in the mail.

They gave me the plate that day and they did not even look at the motorcycle. My bike has 2 registrations one for the sticker and one for the plate. It is more expensive but worth it as once it has been deemed OHV, the sticker it is harder to plate that is why you get the plate first and the sticker second. They sent me the permanent registration in the mail.

Why would you need to "dual register" your plated dirt bike? That makes no sense. What does your title say under "use class", is it ORV or is it "G/CYC"? ORV tagging a plated dirt bike is just asking to get audited. My WA plated KTM will never see an ORV tag as long as I own it.

I had no problem getting my off road only 2000 DRZ a plate when new. It only has a plate and mirror plus the stock headlight and rear led. I keep it insured and figure it's legal during the day. So how do I get an OR lic plate for my 2 year old ktm 250 xc-w two stroke? I see guys with plates but how?

I would not recommed riding around town thinking you have a dualsport. my 200 is licensed and they way I look at it is that it is a glorified ORV tag that allows you to ride on gravel roads. If you ride in the Little Naches be careful Yakima county ORV deputy John Greenhow will probably write you a ticket for riding on the pavement if you don't have all the required lights and stuff even though you have a plate. If he had his way he would pull the plates on all KTMs

My 96 300 is plated, but only for enduro/turkey runs. Everyday driving maybe, but only after all the req's for MA are on it. Until they stick a sniffer on it it should be fine on any road in MA. MA plate works as an OHV plate as well.

Why would you need to "dual register" your plated dirt bike? That makes no sense. What does your title say under "use class", is it ORV or is it "G/CYC"? ORV tagging a plated dirt bike is just asking to get audited. My WA plated KTM will never see an ORV tag as long as I own it.

I didn't want to run the plate all the time. That is what they told me I had to do if I wanted the sticker, must have one or the other. I just wanted the plate just in case.