Sign in to follow this  

Should my KDX have a headlight and speedo?

So planning out the project of fixing up the 1987 KDX 200 that I found. I have found lots of pics for reference, but it seems that half the bikes have headlights and half don't. Mine has nothing in front of the bars - no number plate, light, wiring, speedo, nothing. There is a place on the front hub where it looks like a speedo cable would mount but it is plugged. It also has a place on the rear fender for a taillight, but no light and no wiring.

So were the lights and speedo optional, or did the previous owner just butcher this thing and cut it all out?

My 99 had the headlight and instruments off but the PO gave them to me in a bucket, so maybe yours has had them removed

495046940_wfTam-XL.jpg

Look on the parts diagrams on the Kawasaki site to see what you are missing.

I am pretty familiar with them, as I got one new.

They came with an electronic tripmeter and timer unit. The drive unit for it used an electrical cable, not a mechanical cable, like the 1989 and newer full sized bikes.

The stock headlight was 6v and 25 watts.

Look on the parts diagrams on the Kawasaki site to see what you are missing.

I am pretty familiar with them, as I got one new.

They came with an electronic tripmeter and timer unit. The drive unit for it used an electrical cable, not a mechanical cable, like the 1989 and newer full sized bikes.

The stock headlight was 6v and 25 watts.

Excellent. Thanks!

Any way to upgrade them to 12v and something brighter?

Don't quote me, but as best I remember ricky stator explaining it to me, the voltage from the stator goes up with the revs and is not 6v or 12v related. I think the 1990 and newer models have a regulator to keep it from delivering too much voltage to the bulbs. (THIS IS THE "just me thinking" part), but I want to say one could just install a 12v bulb. The wattage output is not going to change without having the stock part replaced or rewound. rickystator.com and Electrex (Moose Racing may still have them) have different lighting coils.

If you want it set up well, call ricky stator.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. And thanks KDXGarage for the link for the stator.

After looking at the prices for used stock tripmeters, I think I'm just going to install a Trailtech.