Sign in to follow this  

250f ring replacement!!

hey guys i have a kx250f 2007, which i have pulled down to put ********* stainless valves in. I have just brought bike 2nd hand and wanted to see barrel which i removed looks pretty mint...I was told by a dealer once barrell is off you should replace rings....so i have ordered rings but wanted to know any tips for removal of old rings including oil rings and then install of new rings..please note piston is still connected to conrod any help appreciated!!!!!!!!:)

The rings come off fairly easy. Just make sure all of the gaps on the 3 rings are pointing in different directions. You will probably want another set of hands to compress the rings while someone slides the cylinder back on. If the rings are still in spec, you could certainly put them back on. How many hours are on the bike? while you have it torn down why not put a new piston and cam chain in also. It will cost you about another $100 (US) and along with new valves you should be good to go for a while.

yeah i would love to do everything at once!! but i just cant afford the piston and chain at the moment current piston has 6hrs on it.....maybe i try for cam chain, but i am a bit hesitant as then the flywheel needs to come off and thats probably out of my league never done that before and special tools bike has done 100hrs in total.

Why replace rings with six hours on them????

coz i have barrel off, thought i may as well inspect as i have only just purchased bike... and bike shop said as a precaution replace rings just incase they were damaged reomving barrell it is only a precautionary step