Sign in to follow this  

Scotts Damper Settings - Tech/Sandy/Rocky/Fast

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum,still trying to find my way around here - What a memory bank of excellent informaion!!!:)

Now - I have searched this topic in TT and found a couple dealing with "Scotts vs GPR" and "Scotts Setup for desert racing" and feel that there needs to be a summary of the preferred settings for the various riding conditions (Slow Technical Rocky/Medium Speed Technical Sandy/Higher Speed Sandy etc).

This information I also require as I have just installed my Submount Scotts Damper and need some config setting for the various conditions I ride in.

Mostly I ride the following:

1. Medium Speed Rocky Technical

2. Medium Speed Sandy Technical(Tight)

Can everyone just share what their settings are for their type of riding for example:

Medium Speed Technical Rocky - High Speed Valve......, Low Speed....., Sweep.....

Can anyone also just explain what exactly does the sweep influence - Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can influence where exactly the damper starts it's damping function??

Thanks up front all the TT guys!:banghead:

Here in the Arizona desert with my Scotts, I have the low speed at 8, I've increased the high speed 1/2 turn harder, and increased the sweep to a greater arc. When in sand washes, I'll sometimes bump the low speed up 4 more.

The sweep adjustment covers how much away from center the damping works. If you don't have the book that came with your scotts, you can go to their website or call them and get the information you desire. I hope that helps.

With the bevel on the sweep adjustment at 9 o'clock the damping angle is 34 degrees. 12:00 is 44 degrees, 3:00 is 54 degrees, and 6 o'clock is the full 90 degrees. For example, the 6:00 setting would have 45 degrees of damping on each side for a total of 90 degrees. I run the low-speed 8 turns out from soft and I never touched the high-speed.

I run the low speed compression 6-8 clicks in from all the way out (soft). HSC and sweep are both at stock settings. The folks at Scotts recommend not adjusting the HSC (which is why they put a cap on it), and I have never felt the need to. It's definitely saved me a few times, especially when you hit something unexpected at high speeds.

I have a GPR on my bike and I always leave it on setting #1. If I put it any higher the chasis will start to move side to side and unsettles the bike. Not a good feeling when hauling through a corner..

I have a GPR on my bike and I always leave it on setting #1. If I put it any higher the chasis will start to move side to side and unsettles the bike. Not a good feeling when hauling through a corner..

***?

That's not speaking very well for GPR.

+1 on that

If I set it up on a higher setting it has too much damping. A hard hit will not make the handle bars move alot, but that will be transfered into the chasis. Maybe this could be helped if I put thinner oil in it, but setting 1 has always worked good. That's not saying it couldn't be better.

I have the VR1 (I think that's the model). Maybe they have bettered it with the newer model.

I have my sweep and high speed set stock. I adjust the low speed for conditions. Generally, as speed and rocks increase, I increase damping.

Low to medium speed, tight, technical - 0-1 turn in from full soft.

Low to medium speed rocks - 1-2 turns in from full soft.

High speed - about 1-1.5 turns out from full hard.

High speed rocks or wfo trails - 1 turn out from full hard (just before you really feel it in the bars).