Sign in to follow this  

could have been alot worse

so today i went to my friends house to hangout and later on we decide to go out to a local offroad spot where we usually hangout and have a fire. before we leave i hear a knock in the front end of my truck everytime my wheel spins. i tell my buddy to listen to it and tell me what it sounds like and he says it sounds like your brakes. we couldnt figure it out because it sounded like my truck wasnt out of 4x4 and my cv was broken or bent. neither was the case so we discarded it and decided it couldnt be anything big.

well on the way home i found that my truck was making this horrible noise when i was driving. it was too big to just drive with so i pulled over looked at the wheel and holy crap 2 bolts had snapped and one was so close to falling off i twisted it slightly and it fell into my hand.

i about crapped myself thinking wow. i was going about 50 on this bum wheel.:foul: imagine if i had gone any further!:) thatd be the case for sure!

so now im having to fix these studs as well as get all new bolts and make sure i didnt break anything else in the process.

moral of the story. check your stuff before you go out! and definitely dont let something little pass even if it seems like you can.:banghead: :banghead:

Nice story. I have an old K5 blazer that was famous for throwing the front right wheel off while riding down the road. That always turned into a fun ride. One day we buried the rotor about 5" in the pavement. I had to replace the rotor, hub, and caliper. Fun times... :|. It's good you caught it in time!

I had the back wheel fall off my car once. Some ********* thought it would be funny to losen all the lug nuts. I made it about a mile before it went. Broke 3 of the 5 studs off and ruined the other 2.

Old Pontiac/Olds/Buicks will lose the wheel, brake drum, and axle shaft out of the rear axle if the wheel bearing fails.

It's quite a sight!

Dave

haha sweet stories guys. mine wasnt as gnarly as some of yours but it was scary none the less.

I almost lost my rear wheel on a lifted dodge ram on 35s, going gown the road at 55 and lucky me, the traffic light went red so I decided to lake a left turn, then suddenly I hear a bang and almost couldn't stop anymore, got out and the left rear wheel was only hanging on the brake drum!!! I couldn't imagine what could have happened!

the truck was at tire kingdom just 2 weeks before that and those a holes removed all the wheels for their stupid selling strategy grrrr...

• Like 1

on fathers day we were taking the boat to the launch and we noticed the trailer wobbling and pulled over and there was 1 lug nut left on the right wheel of the boat trailer (one wheel on each side):thumbsup:

ahh that would have been horrible if ur trailer flipped ur boat would have been toast

Yeah, I hate it one some crackheads wheel comes off their crack mobile and flies into my window with my family in it because they would rather hangout and smoke crack instead of driving a safe vehicle.