Sign in to follow this  

09 front forks

Hello all , this is my second post , awsome site , been a lurker for a while now .

I use my 09 for offroad enduro type riding , the suspension is awsome , however , last weekend I did a ride with a lot of steep rock hillclimbs and the front just bounced and banged me all over the place , is there something I can do to the forks to soften them up slightly , I was thinking of removing some oil from the main chamber , but I would not know how much , can anyone advise me.

Thanks

Did you try to lessen the compression damping?

It´s done at the top of the fork legs with a flat blade screwdriver, via the center screws.

Take 2-3 clicks out and see how it feels before you do anything else.

Also, do you release the forks built-up pressure before riding?

When the fork heats up, it´s internal pressure rises, causing the fork to get a little stiffer. This is done through the 2 small off-center screws on top of fork caps.

If you decide to remove some oil, it can probably be done through the pressure relief screws. Drain oil into a container that can measure exactly how much comes out. Start with 5 ml from each leg.

If the bike has a couple of hours on it, you should probably do a service of the fork oil anyway. The original oil is not so good and breaks down and turns to syrup basically. This makes the fork deflect and bounce around.

Replace it with quality fork fluid of viscosity 5.

I came out 4 clicks on the comp , it did improve slightly , I release the air pressure before every ride.

I have about 8 hrs on the bike , I think youre right , time to do an oil change and perhaps leave a bigger air gap for plushness.

Should I go a 2.5 weight oil or 5

Thanks for your help

5. That´s what it´s designed for.

Trying to make a suspension that was designed for massive super cross moon shot hits become plush on rocks and slow speed hits is an effort in futility. You can lessen the compression mess around with oil volume and viscosity but only real answer is pick a competent suspension tech and let them rework your suspension to suit your weight, style and terrain most commonly ridden. You cannot take a one ton diesel 4x4 truck and expect it's stock suspension to ride like a Lexus car. I like race tech and marshall's suspension but just personal picks.

Hello all , this is my second post , awsome site , been a lurker for a while now .

I use my 09 for offroad enduro type riding , the suspension is awsome , however , last weekend I did a ride with a lot of steep rock hillclimbs and the front just bounced and banged me all over the place , is there something I can do to the forks to soften them up slightly , I was thinking of removing some oil from the main chamber , but I would not know how much , can anyone advise me.

Thanks

I have an 08 and had the same problem. I went through the whole spectrum of clicks on the fork, shock and even tried different sag. No matter what it rode like shit in the woods, and desert and beat the hell out of me. I tried different weights, etc. I called Pro Circuit since my 07 is running their suspension for WORCS, and they had me take some oil out of the bleeder screws in the forks. (about 20cc's in each fork if i remember right). That helped a little but through the stroke the forks were still pretty harsh. i ended up taking them into a guy who has supposedly mastered off-road suspension and is a 5time ISDE medalist.. and revalves the garahan's bikes. The problem with all these suspension shops out there is you really gota do your research because there are 100's out there. I've tried PC, which wasnt too bad... stil am not tickled pink with their work on my 07, i've tried TBT which worked pretty well, and this go around it was a toss up between MB1 and Nor-Cal. MB1 is by far the best for showa from what i've heard from a friend who is was on their team, but they are more involved with SX and MX so i took it to Nor-Cal... Eric DuKray is the guys name. He basically removes the mid-valve that is more setup for supercross and changes the valving. He also uses Race-tech's gold valve for the small chattery breaking and accelerating bumps. If your interested to see how it performs as much as me PM me after this weekend and I'll let you know since I'll probably forget. For off-road on that bike i think valving is your only option... I'm a top B ridder, 165 lbs and it doesnt work for me.. mx isnt bad but here in Sac. we have tracks that have a lot of chatter and very few big jumps like down in S. Cal.