Sign in to follow this  

Speedometer Drive Unit (same for all wheel sizes?)

I had been thinking that depending on my wheel size the speedometer drive unit (as said in the Clymer book) would be different. After reading the book I'm beginning to think it's the same device for all sizes.

Can someone clarify whether I need 2 different units for my 21" and my 17" wheels. Obviously I know I need a new computer but the wheel fixture itself is the same, yes?

(I did try searching for this question but only seemed to find different questions relating to the speedo drive ... or not as stupid questions as this.)

Just use your SM drive. It's alot more accurate with a 21" wheel. Just keep in mind that it'a gonna read 1%-2% slow. If it says 40mph, then your going 41mph or 42mph.

Thanks mate, I was killing myself trying to find another speedometer drive unit that wasn't brand new, since they're expensive.

I am still trying to decide on the Trailtech Vapor or the Acewell 3940.

Also need new discs/rotors for the SM, may just use the existing ones for the time being.

Cheers for the quick feedback!

The Vapor, and probably the Acewell, uses it's own sensor. Rob was talking about the stock speedo and drive. The speedo doesn't read right from the factory and swapping out drive makes it read closer.

GOF1, I appreciate the comment. I've seen that Trailtech have their own sensor and a speedo drive eliminator would be necessary. However, the Acewell state they can also provide an attachment to use the factory speedo drive, I also like how the Acewell has as standard the entire console built into the unit.