Sign in to follow this  

Estimate the running hours on a old husky?

I got a problem, well actually I got two problems.

The first one is quite simple, my English is not what it once was and my spelling is even worse…

The second problem is what I am writing on this forum, so lets get to the subject.

I am about to buy a Husqvarna TE 410 from 1997, it is the enduro model whit a left side kickstart. But (there is always a but) it hade a carburettor problem, the original mounted dell´orto carburettor has been replaced whit a new mikuni so now it runs fine. According to the salesmen this is a normal problem and after some googeling that seams to be right.

I asked the salesman if the engine hade been overhauled. He replied that the machine hade so few running hours so it has not med needed.

And if you wondered how it looked when I went to se it. Well it looks like any other bike that’s been in the woods for 12 years…

Would it be possible to estimate how many hours the bike has been driven based on the original carburettor just been worn out? Ore would it be pointless?

One last thing I cane make clear to all of you: The bikes stands at a local bike dealer, I have only looked at it and talked to the sales man. I have not test driven it, yet… I might to so tomorrow :)

How many hours a dirt bike lives is totally dependant on how much dirt has passed thru filters, how many times its layed on its side with the hand grip burried in the mud and the engine reving its guts out or overheated as an inexperianced rider got stuck on a hill and just spun the tire until it puked the coolant out.

Husky was not imported to the states from 1987 thru about 2001?? so I have never met that model, I think they where pretty competitive in Europe in those years so it has hope

How many hours a dirt bike lives is totally dependant on how much dirt has passed thru filters, how many times its layed on its side with the hand grip burried in the mud and the engine reving its guts out or overheated as an inexperianced rider got stuck on a hill and just spun the tire until it puked the coolant out.

Husky was not imported to the states from 1987 thru about 2001?? so I have never met that model, I think they where pretty competitive in Europe in those years so it has hope

What? I've got a 99 TE610, and I've seen others in the US as well.

You could do a compression test to see how healthy the motor is. Compression testers run about $30 here. Take the spark plug out, screw in the tester, hold open the throttle and kick the motor 5-6 times.

That being said I have no idea what good compression for that motor should be.

Well there’s not going to be any test driving this weekend. The guy that would fix the carburettor problem has gone on vacation so the bike still stands on the garage floor in a million pieces. Better luck next weekend. :banghead:

It can’t be so hard to find out what the compression could be one that bike, I will look in to that. Thanks for that idea :)