Sign in to follow this  

Wiseco rig gap

Hello, this is my first post on here. I had my cyl done by us chrome. It

was bored to standard size and plated. I had it done to match a wiseco

piston that I got from them. The bike is a 03 KX 125. I put the ring in

last night to check ring gap, and it was only .010, very small. I do understand that I will need to file but if i am reading right on the instructions

its .004 for every mm size and my piston is a 54 mm and if i did the math right

that would be .216, seems like a lot to me. My question is #1 did i do the math right and thats what i need and #2 do i take that all off one side of the ring. This is my first time to do this and I DO NOT WANT TO MESS UP! plus i have a 13 yr old that is chomping of the bits to ride.

Thanks alot

Brian

Tyler, TX

I have never had an issue with ring gaps on wiseco's before. Just make sure the gap is located on the little pin inside the ring gap.:)

UPDATE: Yea i guess i am a bumb a**. I called wiseco to ask the same question and my math was wrong. it's not 54 * .004, it's 2.216 * .004.

So i am at .010, it it's supossed to be .090 to .010. so i am on the money.

And i was going to file it last night. glad i waited. mabey this will be good info

for somebody else.

Thanks

Brian

• Like 1

I have never had an issue with ring gaps on wiseco's before. Just make sure the gap is located on the little pin inside the ring gap.:)

always check the gap

always check the gap

If the piston and ring will not slide into the jug upon install then something is wrong. But I haven't had an issue yet. The only motor's I check ring gap on is my shovelhead and car engines that I build.

If the piston and ring will not slide into the jug upon install then something is wrong. But I haven't had an issue yet. The only motor's I check ring gap on is my shovelhead and car engines that I build.

ALWAYS check ring end gap. Especially if you don't measure bore to piston clearance. Machining, plating errors can be made, and this is extremely important to avoid seizures, or blow by.

Well, i got my sons bike all back togather. I had never did a top end before and never put a jug on a piston but after 2 hours, 5 beers and a pack of smokes. I finally did it. I had spent so much time and money i was just afraid I would mess it up but I didn't. I did a good break in, probley took more time with that than anything. Bike runs very stong and we are very happy. I am having a lil spooge and it has fouled one plug but that was after we had went to the track and hauled it back home, it was when he was trying to crank it. My plug is to dark so i know i need to jet, i was not shure which way to turn the air/fuel screw so i could use a lil help there. It has no bog at all but does seem to get on the power band fast, is that ok? oil ratio is at 36-1 and that was because i had 5 gal already mixed up and didn't want to waist it.

i have never had to file ring on any dirtbike motor ive built. thats only because piston and ring manufacturers tolerances are so good, and i always mic the bore or its new.

thats no excuse to not measure them, the "if it fits" approach is asinine, youre betting your money and bike on other peoples accuracy and work. have fun:banana:

Well, i got my sons bike all back togather. I had never did a top end before and never put a jug on a piston but after 2 hours, 5 beers and a pack of smokes. I finally did it. I had spent so much time and money i was just afraid I would mess it up but I didn't. I did a good break in, probley took more time with that than anything. Bike runs very stong and we are very happy. I am having a lil spooge and it has fouled one plug but that was after we had went to the track and hauled it back home, it was when he was trying to crank it. My plug is to dark so i know i need to jet, i was not shure which way to turn the air/fuel screw so i could use a lil help there. It has no bog at all but does seem to get on the power band fast, is that ok? oil ratio is at 36-1 and that was because i had 5 gal already mixed up and didn't want to waist it.

See, pretty easy stuff! Congrats on your first top end O/H.:thumbsup:

If that bike is being raced, and wound up tight... I suggest running a little more oil than that. I assume you understand the oil/fuel ratio aspect? More oil in the fuel = leaner mixture. Less oil, = rich mixture. You could/should run a richer oil ratio, and effectively lean the mixture to eliminate splooge.

Air screw turned out, more air. Make 1/4 turn adjustments and retest.