Sign in to follow this  

Returning to Ba JA

Hey guys,

South bound I am!!!! Last year went on an unsupported trip that was off the hook fun with memories to last a life time!!! Liking to suffer I have decided to return for yet another... This time ala solo... Love the other current posts on on safety south of the border....My family and friends have some concerns for the trip as well... I gotta say I strongly believe and agree this is a border issue and a bit of Mexican gang banger population control. It does not concern me.

So heres the plan... I have aprox. 3 to 4 weeks for this trip...And I really want to hang in the southern end... If I attempt a all dirt trip(from my drive way), I will never make it in my allotted time. SO I have decided to put street slicks and the biggest gearing possible on my Xr400, plug into my Ipod, cross at Tecate and blast down to La paz ala hwy 3 to 1. Once in La paz I will re-outfit with dirt tires and better gearing then do aprox 2 weeks of play in the more remote areas of the south. Augmented of course by a couple of disco tech nights in Cabo, May 13th is my birthday. After a couple of weeks, swap back to street tires/tall gearing and blast home. Gonna be a rad trip!!!!

Last years trip report got a lot of attention on this site. Many thought we were fools, many thought the trip was a joke... Sure we had a rough trip but we also proved what IS possible with a open mind and a sense of adventure. I learned a lot on last years trip. Baja is amazing, the people even better. This blog will be an ongoing trip report of this adventure, I hope you enjoy and are inspired.

Seth

PS last year I learned how tight lipped people are about their favorite spots down yonder... I promise I am extremely respectful... Any tips or info for the southern end you pass on would be greatly appreciated!!!! thanx

Skip the road tires.

Leave the knobbies on and pic up an old Baja 1000 course map and follow it to La Paz. Most GPS points are available from guys on here. Hell, most of the markers are probably still up from the 40th.

It would only take an extra day or 2 to get down South if you keep rolling. Plus, the scenery would be a lot better.

Have a great trip.... I remember the posts about the last one. With you updating from a small "network cafe" every once in a while.

Ride safe! And smart!

... now, about that 1000 course GPS track. Need info?! :)

Stop in at Scorpian bay and say hi to Kory and Taryn from Miguelitro from TBH. They might even loan you a long board;)

Sweet! More long boards at Scorpion Bay!

• Like 1

baja 1000 course seems like a bad idea... unless you love endless miles of whoops... i would vote for the dirt highway on sea of cortez side to get you most of the way down, then see what other options are most preferable at the time.

I've got the '07 1000 course GPS if needed. I'm not tight lipped about Sal's course :thumbsup:

We started in San Felipe last year and rode down not to tiring. But we did take three days from San Felipe. You could make it there in two with a combo of dirt and street no problem.

I commend your adventurous spirit... people are total vagez about going into Baja these days. Decades ago, our elders ventured into Baja without GPS, without sat phones, without a specified route... only a desire to ride into the unknown, drink tequila and motorboat Mexican boobies (ok, maybe that's my own personal fantasy).

I commend your adventurous spirit... people are total vagez about going into Baja these days. Decades ago, our elders ventured into Baja without GPS, without sat phones, without a specified route... only a desire to ride into the unknown, drink tequila and motorboat Mexican boobies (ok, maybe that's my own personal fantasy).

thats what I'm talking in about!!!!!!!! Motorboat Mexican boobies.... so much adventure just chasing tail!!!!!! The route is really inconsequential. nljustin, lets go have a beer!!!!:thumbsup::usa::lol:

Early stages of plans for trip...buying new digi camera soon...will post more when acquired, so siked for this ride!!!

Baja 100 course is a ****ing mess...desertwalker is right...whoops from hell, for those who offered though...Thank you very much. Really just want to get south... then explore.

Damn big slab section but I totally understand the want to get to the south of Baja, so rad down there.

My Rip to the Tip crew and I will be doing Baja in the first two weeks of May and will be in Cabo for a while if you need anything so I will PM you my Sat phone numbers.

Sunset at Punta Canejo is pretty sweet if you get to check that out. The beach ride south of San Juanico is pretty damn cool but unlike the Brittish guy that just did it don't turn around if the river is full, just pop up on the dunes before and go inland until you get to where the locals cross in their cars, about 1.3 miles.....Then more beach! one more crossing too.....

When I bring some buddies I like to sit up on the hill and watch them battle the Santa Rita silt beds but I would suggest clipping that if solo!

I understand people not wanting to share some spots but I feel like anyone that is asking for anything south of LA Bay is a true adventurer that will respect the locals and place and I don't see to many people scrambling for a south Baja ride. The north and all the single track I can see protecting for sure.

Update.... Let the spending begin!!!!!! Not a rich man by any means but I am expecting aprox $1000 in prep for the trip. The trip itself, will of course be alot less...Gotta love Mexico!!!

Just ebayed a Olympus water proof, dust proof, shock resistant camera...Doubt it will be Seth proof ...but we'll see.

Also having a custom set of soft bags made, similar to the Wolfsman expedition series. Have friend who owns a sewing company. Last year I had a "hard" rack that I built....Not the way...Worked but the soft bags are much better in the event of a crash....Not if , but when!

Custom center stand in the works. Traveling solo it will save my ass when dealing with the inevitable Baja flats.

Two MSR Dromidary bags on order(6l each), one for gas, and one for water. Extra gas bag will be empty most of the time, just fill it for longer play loops

Compiling a list of mechanical items as well.Will be going to my local shop next week and placing a BIG order. Called the guy told him about my trip and asked for a deal if I purchased everything from his shop. He was very supportive of the trip and said no problem...Sure he's still gonna make so good cash off me...

Might have a budy join me on a V-strom for the way down, hope he jumps on the boat. He has a lot less time so would just be there for the desent and then rally back solo. Pops might fly to Cabo for my B-day and a night of partying!!!! Go Dad!!!!

think thats it for now... Should be posting pics by next week. My bike needs some love. Seth

Ay mi fea putata. She's somewhere in Loreto...

wcracinghz6.jpg

she looks like the caretaker at the hotel brenda:smirk:

PS Cast iron 8in pan will be on board!!!!
Kind of a heavy way to go for cooking?:thumbsup:

Kind of a heavy way to go for cooking?:thumbsup:

I will be cooking on a fire in the evenings and nothing even compares to cooking in cast iron. Worth its weight in gold:thumbsup: Good food is so important when out adventuring!!!!!!

I will be cooking on a fire in the evenings and nothing even compares to cooking in cast iron. Worth its weight in gold:thumbsup: Good food is so important when out adventuring!!!!!!

Point well taken!:thumbsup: