TT Store, Gaerne GMX, Unbelievable!

Since I've posted to more than one thread about riding gear (usually complaining), I figured it'd be fair to post a positive review about not only a new-ish riding boot, but the TT Store.

Here's the deal: About two years ago, Gaerne made a short boot called the GMX. It was available on only one site at the time, and I think only about a dozen pairs ever made it into the U.S. It was available in Europe, but was plenty "spendy," and trying to find someone to ship a pair was/would have been challenging. I contacted the original U.S. supplier who wrote back and told me Gaerne wasn't importing them anymore, and a deal with a Chinese manufacturer wasn't producing the kind of quality they wanted.

Early this year, sometime around late-January/early-February, these boots started showing up on the Internet again (Google "Gaerne GMX"--you'll find 'em), and the price was within striking distance of my bank balance.

Now here's the beauty of this whole post: I could have bought them from a retailer on eBay; they would have cost me $230 shipped to Iowa. BUT, clever consumer that I am, I thought of the pleasant (and successful) experiences I've had in the past with the TT store so I went in search of these there. Sadly, I found none. Undaunted, I called them on the phone to see if/when they might start carrying them. After the third ring, I got a REAL HUMAN VOICE on the line. I told him what I wanted. He said "Hold on a minute; let me check something." Less than a minute later he was back on the line and telling me he could source some from a warehouse nearby, but it might be a week or two before I saw them. He told me the number for them from the Tucker Rocky catalogue (not yet in the online system). He told me the price, $238 shipped. I thanked him, told him I had to think some more (I'm a real procrastinator). That was Monday. I called him back on Tuesday at 2 p.m. CST and ordered the boots--the sweet part was the TT Store had send me an e-coupon for my birthday for 10% off a purchase, so the whole package came to just over $210. THURSDAY (that's right, this week still!) the boots arrived in Iowa under 48 hours from the placing of the order to delivery! Unbelievable! Why would I shop for bike parts anywhere else?

Now, the boots themselves are a wonder of Italian craftsmanship--and, yes, they are made in Italy, even the box is printed in Italian--and as far as I'm concerned, all discussion about the best dual sport boot has ended. These things are incredibly stout while still remaining (for an MX boot) quite sleek. My major gripes with most shorty boots were that they were either too under-armored and had the tennis shoe approach, or they were too beefy and the toe box was way too high, which necessitated fussing with shift levers or relearning how to shift. Since I ride my bike to work, for chores, for touring, or for fun, I'll often wear a pair of boat shoes or penny loafers or hiking boots which have the lower toe box, so I wanted something similar in configuration to a "street shoe" but with the beef of a bona fide MX boot. These bad boys are exactly that. They're made with an oil-impervious sole, have a full sole shank and protective heel cup, are constructed of full grain leather, kevlar, metal buckles, and discreet reflective material on the heel. My regular blue jeans fit over them effortlessly (and fashionably--can't let George Clooney have all the style cred), and they don't scream "dork" to non-bikers. I put about two hours on them yesterday and didn't miss a single shift. It was 45 degrees and my feet were toasty. They do run large. I ordered the size 10 which were perfect. I'm a normal 10 or 10.5. The U.S. 10's in these boots are Euro 44.5, which is the same Euro size as my size 11 Reeboks, so if you're a size 10.5, order 10's, if you're an 11.5, order 11's--you get the idea.

I've tried Icon Motorheads, O'Neil Shortys, Timberland Downshifters, Oxtars, hiking boots, and countless models that never made it past the tryin'-on-in-the-store stage, but even the brief time I've had these, I can tell they're seriously designed for serious riding.

Here's a link to the Gaerne site. On the home page click on Boot Co.; under products pull down to GMX.

http://www.gaerne.com/

Highest recommendations for both the boot and the TT Store (and this forum, of course).

Agreed. Gaerne makes an AWSOME boot!!!! I'm glad you posted this because I was just recently thinking of buying a lighter boot. I'm riding with Gaerne SG10 boots right now. They are a pure MX boot and a little bit much for the street. I mean they are great for riding but when I get off and have to walk through the building to my desk, they're a little like space boots. I think I'll give these a try.

I've had Axo boots, and now have Gaerne SG10's. There's a reason that the Gaerne boots cost more......ya get what ya pay for. These are the highest quality boot I have ever seen. Period.

Choosing a boot is as individual as setting up a bike. Some people think dual sporting is riding a stock bike on the road and occasionally on a dirt road or lite tail. Other people think dual sporting is being "legal" to get your dirt bike to the woods without hassle. I'm kinda in the middle, but when I was looking for a new pair of boots, I did not feel the current crop of "shorty" style boots would offer nearly enough support and protection for the type of riding( i.e. crashing) I do. Either way the Quality of Gaerne stuff is incredible and I doubt you could go wrong here. Just be sure to wear something.

How is the fit on the Slammers... do I need to go up one size from a shoe size?

I'm a size 9/43 normally. These are size 10/44's, and they fit comfortably with thin or thick mx socks. I would recommend going up a size on them.

"Shorty boots" model like the Gaerni/Axo/Astars/Oneal/Diadora/others, are ideal for "recreational/daily" use. I forgot to bring my sandals to work today, I'm left to wear the Slammers all day long. No problems walking around in them just like regular shoes.?

Any more than "recreational" duty, I recommend a full mx boots. I'm sure the SG 10's are comfortable. They better be for $330ish!!:banghead:

Yeah, found them for 69 bucks shipped, but the highest they went was size 8... which is what I wear, but I normally buy size 9 boots.

[...and no comments from the peanut gallery about comparing feet size and... ummm... hand sizes.]

I spent another couple hours today with the GMX boots and they confirmed my expectations for my intended purposes. For protection, they feel like a full-zoot MX boot, but ride like a short street boot. I honestly looked at the AXOs as well, but like the other shorties, they have a higher toe box, and the finish, while good, doesn't in the final analysis compare with the Gaernes. I should mentioned I've also seriously considered the Thor 50/50s and looked closely at the dozen different street half/ankle boots offered by Icon, Sidi, Fox, and every other manufacturer. These Gaernes remind me of downhill ski boots, and unequivocally I can say they offer greater ankle/malleolus protection and support than the "hiking boot" models I've owned in the past. And as wvdualsport noted, "ya get what ya pay for." I'm as tight with a buck as anyone on this forum, but there are some things that cost more for a consumer because they cost more to manufacture and have the attendant quality that justifies that cost. I wear Wal-mart underwear (I know, TMI) because it works as well as Calvin Klein at what its s'posed to do, but with protective gear, even the expensive stuff is cheap insurance. I wear a Shoei Hornet because it's light, design-specific for dual sport, and has flawless finish. It was also a butt-load of money. These Gaerne boots cost twice what, say, the Fox shorties cost; but, damn, the Italians DO make superior grade boots, and these boots trump anything I've owned, tried, or seen for fit, finish, and (most importantly) purpose. This is not to denigrate nor suggest that other boots don't provide solid protection nor provide good service (and I've been in the position of constrained finances, so I know what it means to measure dollars); but these are the highest quality boot I've ever seen or owned; they merit a positive review, and I would recommend them to anyone looking for the very best in a dual-sport boot.

How is the fit on the Slammers... do I need to go up one size from a shoe size?

I wear size 12 street shoes, went with size 13 Slammers. Slid a pair of Dr. Scholl's Memory Fit cushions into them = Perfect fit. Undoubtedly Gaerne make a nice boot, but the Slammers are a nice boot too, at an attractive price point. I've hammered the crap out of mine for two years and they have held up beautifully. Comfortable and flexible enough to do some moderate hiking in too.