Sign in to follow this  

recommended oil and exhaust 89 xr600

i am a new owner of of 89 xr 600 and was just wondering what most people are running for oil. and what weight. i was thinking of going with ambs or honda syn. also someone put a ktm muffler on this bike and it has no spark arrestor. any good U.S forrest approved mufflers out there worth buying. i don't want anything really loud.

thanks

First of all, do a search for "oil" and be sure to select "in thread titles only." You will get more than enough information on that.

You options are relatively limited on exhaust. If you want quiet and USFS approved, keep/get a stock muffler. If you want performance, there is Supertrapp, FMF, and Pro Circuit.

First of all, do a search for "oil" and be sure to select "in thread titles only." You will get more than enough information on that.

You options are relatively limited on exhaust. If you want quiet and USFS approved, keep/get a stock muffler. If you want performance, there is Supertrapp, FMF, and Pro Circuit.

thanks for the heads up

AND WELCOME to TT!! where we hold nothing back LOL CRAZY people here, BUT tons of info!!

Does your bike still have the stock head pipes? If so then you will need to get aftermarket headers to get almost any aftermarket muffler. Supertrapp and Staintune are the only companies that make mufflers for the 88-90 600's with the dual headers

Or you can get an OEM header off ebay from any later XR600 or 650L (650L you will lose the heat shield do to the kickstarter, but it fits). I like the FMF for bang for buck and for looks. Some people say they are too loud but it is the same as my supertrapp was. They also sell quiet core inserts. THe Q series is your best bet.

As for oil, use motor oil. I tried baby oil once and it lasted a few seconds before shearing. :) Like HT said too many threads and too many opinions. For every brand of oil there is at least one thread for it and one against it. But I think we all agree that motor oil is best:p