Sign in to follow this  

Buying a used 125... Good year?

I am in the market for a used 125 2T. I am looking in the price range of $1500-$2000. 2001-2006 (or as new as possible). What is a good year YZ to look out for and why (frame/low end etc...). I am 200 lbs. 6'1" and will do some suspension work. I just want to get another 125 because every time I ride one I want it. Any issues to watch out for or any tips appreciated!

I just picked up an '04 for $1800.00, super clean.

I believe the only real differences are as follows:

1.) 5 speed tranny from 02-04

2.) 48mm forks from 04+

3.) Aluminum frame 05+

4.) SSS forks 06+

So far I actually really like the five speed. Only have a couple hours on though, and haven't even been able to start building my motocross track. I added one tooth to the rear, and I can already tell I may need to go up another, possibly two.

Sounds nice. I wonder if the last year steel frame works better than the first year aluminum frame... I am leaning towards CR or YZ. Thanks for input.

If you don't buy blue you'll be blue :thumbsup: seriously the YZ vs CR the YZ has the better motor and thats what matters in a 125 they are pretty equal in everything else.

If you don't buy blue you'll be blue :thumbsup: seriously the YZ vs CR the YZ has the better motor and thats what matters in a 125 they are pretty equal in everything else.

Yah I always liked blue even when it was yellow. I was told in the Zook forum that for 03 the RM won a lot of shootouts and 2nd to KTM in a few. Sure would like a newer aluminum framed YZ though.

For the last few years the yz's have been at the top of the class. If I were you I would look at the 05 or 06. In 2006 they got better suspension, but on craigslist I've seen some good deals on the 05's. I think you could get one in your budget or very close to it.

Pretty much 01 and up are great bike. Everything big has been stated above.. Im pretty sure there motor was gone over as well in 05... And the newer plastics were changed in 02.. Thats about all that hasn't been said though. YZ125 beats all other 125's:thumbsup:

I would say plan on bearings and a top end at least dunes ridding a 125 not that kind to it lots of wide open ridding. May of gotten alittle lucky if the jetting was left stock it's alittle rich.

hopefully the suspenion seals aren't all packed up with sand also.

Just curious what do you currently have?

Edit: Nevermind I just read your signature:banghead:

Just curious what do you currently have?

Edit: Nevermind I just read your signature:banghead:

Yah I need to change my sig. Just sold the EXC. Looks like you have the v-force reeds and PC pipe as well. Where are the gains most noticeable?

I would say plan on bearings and a top end at least dunes ridding a 125 not that kind to it lots of wide open ridding. May of gotten alittle lucky if the jetting was left stock it's alittle rich.

hopefully the suspenion seals aren't all packed up with sand also.

Yah I questioned him about the 125 on the dunes... Think he only went there 3-5 times. He said he took the head off and the cylinder wall was smooth as glass. When you say bearings, you mean the mains? Supposedly the suspension is clean and smooth too. Can't wait to sniff the gearbox, check the compression, and run it through the gears!

Yah I need to change my sig. Just sold the EXC. Looks like you have the v-force reeds and PC pipe as well. Where are the gains most noticeable?

My bike came with them but my friend who races says they are great mods and my bike seems a bit more snappy than other 125's. From what I hear most peoples only pull up in 1st and 2nd but I can bounce mine up in 4th without much effort. BTW how do 125s hang with your WR?

No I mean like wheel bearings the stock YZ front wheel bearings are not sealed on the one side. Grease the linkage so you know it's greased and then you can inspect the linkage bearing seals make sure the seal lips are not all torn up.

Consider the chain a throw away even if it isn't stock buy an air fliter pull the pipe and check the piston for blow by I'd swap it myself anyways so that way I know for fact what condition the cylinder really is in.

Get the suspenion oil changed good idea etc spend alittle on it now do the required maintence it's been lacking and you'll have a solid ride.

No I mean like wheel bearings the stock YZ front wheel bearings are not sealed on the one side. Grease the linkage so you know it's greased and then you can inspect the linkage bearing seals make sure the seal lips are not all torn up.

Consider the chain a throw away even if it isn't stock buy an air fliter pull the pipe and check the piston for blow by I'd swap it myself anyways so that way I know for fact what condition the cylinder really is in.

Get the suspenion oil changed good idea etc spend alittle on it now do the required maintence it's been lacking and you'll have a solid ride.

Yes. I am looking forward to the tear down. Suspension, wheels, steering, top end... Guess I will ride it till the parts come in, maybe a couple times. Hope it all goes well after I drive up to this place. Thanks for all the tips.