Sign in to follow this  

Race Insurance

Does anyone have a policy that would cover you against personal liability during the coarse of a race? In other words defense against a lawsuit resulting from events during a race. Progressive doesn't offer any coverage for any type of racing.

A personal type injury should be covered by your auto insurance, but they need to know as that has to be added into your policy.

As far as getting sued for being involved in an accident at the track, that's a completely different deal and that would require a special policy. Although your track should have something to cover those types of issues.

I do have a personal injury rider for my motorcycle activities (we all should have that). But I do not have anything if I get involved in a major accident an get named in a larger suit. I really do not know of anyone that has that, becauser that's the tracks responsibility.

What I'm worried about is if there is an accident in say a motocross race. And someone decides they feel you are at fault. They could then sue you for negligence. If you don't have an insurance policy to defend you, you will go broke paying lawyers no matter how frivolous the case is. I doubt the track would cover the acts of individual racers.

I'm not positive, but I would think the track would make every racer sign a waiver for that kind of stuff.

Waivers aren't worth squat. But to your point, I'll have to read it next time before I sign it.

AMA sells medical insurance for strictly racing, it might be worth a phone call to them to see what else they offer or recommend.

I'm going to look into it. The thing is, having worked in insurance for a little while now, I've seen some pretty stupid lawsuits. A creative lawyer will sue anyone and everyone.