Sign in to follow this  

Electric Start to Kick start

Hey everyone, I tried a quick search and didnt find anything.

I am in the process of looking for bikes and like the CRF 230/TTR 225s.

Do all of these bikes have electric start option. It seems like it would be a huge hassle of getting it to start after sitting. How long to batterys last usually. Everone online says "new battery"

Also is it possible to just replace that whole setup and get a kick starter? How much is that to convert?

Basically any info you can give me on this system would be helpful. I am just trying to learn whats out there!:)

Don't bother converting to kick-start, not worth it, and usually impossible, since most companies don't offer parts that didn't come on the bikes (i.e. getting an e-start for an XR/CRF-F, or a kick starter for a ttr). There are lots of internal changes that need to happen, and just not worth the hassle.

Just do like I did. I got the DRZ-250, it has both e-start, and a kicker as a backup. Sure, it's a little heavier, but well worth it, IMO.

If you're worried about battery life, just use a battery tender if the bike is going to sit for a long time, or just unplug the battery. I've had the same battery in my bike for almost 4 years and it's just fine. I had to replace it just a few months after I bought it, but it was the OEM battery (bought it used).

Usually you cannot turn a bike like the ttr into a kick start. It would be easier to get a battery tender and keep the battery charged. Electric start is way nice for the stop and go riding that I do and the extra weight added by the e start is worth it IMO.

Not having a back up kickstart is not wise in my opinion. Unless you ride at the track all day and it is a short push back to the truck. :)

"Electric only" is fine until you need it and it is not there...especially if you have a Rekluse and can no longer push start a bike. lol Then you are left with a heavy bicycle to push out of the woods. :banghead:

Yeh my buddy has a CRF 230 and we were talking about it after I posted this. Basically they keep them on a battery tender since they dont ride that often (few times a year).

He said its a sweet setup and has never failed him or his dad (matching bikes). He said he is a little worried that the starter would leave him stranded and wish it had a backup kickstarter.

Obviously it looks like its not even possible to convert. Just curious, but can you enlighten me on how the whole system works? Is it basically like a car? Is there anything to charge the battery while your riding or does it slowly draw power. I am thinking if I went riding for a few days without any way to charge the battery, would I just have to jump it?

Thanks for the answers. Im a newbie. :)

Yeh my buddy has a CRF 230 and we were talking about it after I posted this. Basically they keep them on a battery tender since they dont ride that often (few times a year).

He said its a sweet setup and has never failed him or his dad (matching bikes). He said he is a little worried that the starter would leave him stranded and wish it had a backup kickstarter.

Obviously it looks like its not even possible to convert. Just curious, but can you enlighten me on how the whole system works? Is it basically like a car? Is there anything to charge the battery while your riding or does it slowly draw power. I am thinking if I went riding for a few days without any way to charge the battery, would I just have to jump it?

Thanks for the answers. Im a newbie. :banghead:

Some club members couldn't get their CRF 230 to start. Eventually the battery went dead....

We jump started it off my truck. :) Probably a big no-no.

the crf 230 battery will just never die. i leave my key on everyday and night and it has always started push of the button

i guarantee one day it will die. my dad has a crf230 its an 08 and he put a cord and ran it through the back and waterproofed the cords so all he has to do is plug it up to the charger and hes good to go. its never died on him and he hasnt charged it in a while.

Me and a friend both had CRF-230's when we started out. Both of us bought them used, had original batteries in them, never charged them, and rode far, far, far, far from the truck many times with no kick start. There were ways to get the bike started if need be in a worst case scenario.

I would just buy a battery tender if you are worried about it. The 230F line-up from Honda/Yamaha are solid bikes. They can go through hell on earth and keep running.

Some club members couldn't get their CRF 230 to start. Eventually the battery went dead....

We jump started it off my truck. :usa: Probably a big no-no.

Its fine I think. We've jumped bikes and quads with trucks and street bikes and they all worked like normal once a new battery was put in. :thumbsup: