Sign in to follow this  

Leaky headgasket?

I recently rebuilt the engine on my 06 KX450f, when I did this I had everything together and the head torqued down when I realized I dident have the cam chain guide in its little slot, and I couldent get it to budge without pulling the head. So I had to unbolt the head fix that and re tourque it. Well I think that I should of bought a new head gasket after that. Ive done that before on my 2 strokes and been alright so I thought I would take my chances.

There is 3 hours on it since I rebuilt it, runs great, starts great, no white smoke. I did one harescramble with it with ALOT of slow speed wfo and mud caked radiators (everyones bikes were spewing coolant) but mine seemed to spew 2 times what everyone elses did.

Yesterday I noticed when I just stated the bike that it was dribbling from the overflow. Pissed.

Today I did the bubble check and there was none untill like 15 seconds later, must of tooken time for them to make it up but they wernt like bubbles that I could see air coming through the liqid, they were just a bunch of tightly compacted bubbles that just started going everywhere and started to come up over the brim of the radiator. Does that seem like headgasket? becasue it kind of looks like the same kind of bubbles you can make just by shaking somthing up, or the water pump really pumping the stuff. If never had to bubble test a radiator so im not sure waht to look for. But the symptoms are pointing to head gastket, and it makes since why.

Oppinions?

Your bike is built for mx and will heat up in the slow stuff faster than built enduro bikes.

Are you sure that the coolant dribbling from the overflow wasnt from the last ride.Its mostly steam that exits the overflow and it takes a while for it to condensate.Plug the overflow and take the cap off,start the bike and test with your hand if it builds up pressure.I kinda doubt that reusing the gasket is causing a leak since it wasnt used.

I use motul coolant and it bubbles and foams when the bike is running.

I have always been told you get one use out of a 450 head gasket.

I have reused gaskets on my 06 450 with no problem however you have to do careful inspection first to make sure it is reusable.

your bike isnt leaking coolant into the head if the bike isnt underpower, bogging, hard to start, spraying white smoke out of the pipe while riding (startup and white smoke is fine just condensation in the pipe).