Sign in to follow this  

Smoked my 01 DRZ 400K

While ice riding last Sat the bike bogged in a corner, you could feel the motor slowing when I pulled in the clutch it quit. I don't know if it seezed or if I dropped a valve or what yet. I have to start pulling it apart and find out what happened.

Bike History

Bought new in 01 first 4t running 13-47 gearing totally stock otherwise.

Regular oil changes and diet of 93 octane.

Was rode 01-02 in the woods, duel sported in 03 a couple times, parked in storage with fuel drained new oil 04-08 (Iraq and a 03 KTM200 for woods riding)

Set up for ice riding Jan of 09 about 800 miles of ice riding. Started on 3rd kick.

I would like to do some mods to make the bike rev quicker and have more HP. I ride mostly road courses on the ice. 14-47 gearing leaves gaps in power for the road courses. top end I can pretty much run with the 450's it just getting there.

I am thinking about adding hot cams, FMF power bomb, and a Q2, removing the snorkel and jetting for 30 degrees F.

Am I going in the right direction??

Goal: quiet Bike, durable motor, more performance

Input welcome Not interested in a big bore kit

Brian

big bore is a major influence in horse power gain , to get the most from your hard earned $$$ you spend on cams and exhaust . believe me you will never lose your reliability when you fit a quality 4 mm oversize piston . i have the full motor kit and its been built properly and has been running strong for years .

I may be wrong, but your kicker is the same as the DRZ400E EXCEPT....kickstart instead of electric start (and the associated hardware/electrics)

so....you already have the FCR39mm carb & hotter engine & better performance cam/valves than the DRZ400S-Road Model does

yes....you should open up the airbox & rejet

ahhhha new pipe???...yours will work fine as is & be way quieter......so if you're staying in the woods or off-road, I suggest leave it as is (there are plenty of DRZ400 owners out there that would JUST LOVE to have your exhaust setup.....this outta' tell you something:smirk:

check this out:

http://www.pegmonkey.com/test/motorcycle/2001drz400k

hope this helps:thumbsup:

and thank you for your dedicated service to all us and your country:usa:

It appears that the damage is in the bottom end by the metal shaving in the oil, I am thinking that I lost the rod bearing. Taking it in tomorrow will find out next week what went wrong.

Beemerwolf, I need to open this bike up if I want to run with the fast guys on the ice, the favorite seems the be the CRF450. More than likely I will only ride the Z on the ice as the KTM 200 is my woods toy. I do get lots of praise on how quiet the Z is. I just need to make it quicker from corner to corner.

The carb does say CR on the top. I under stand that K cams are hotter than S cams. I thought the hot cams were even more aggressive.

Set up stock I am lacking something, I have the rider ability its motor that I believe that lacking. I do love the Z though nobody can out break me and corners are where I do best. I do have to work harder to keep up and make good line choices. The guys I ride with keep hinting I need more motor.

I have to make do with what I have a new bike is out of the question at this time.

Brian

I'll admit to being in over my head here but if you open the motor up and have to have a new crank put in you might think of stroking it for some extra power. Like wise if you need a new piston/cylinder the big bore wouldn't cost that much more. Have you thought about putting the motor in a cooler and sending it to Eddie for evaluation/repair?

man i dont know, i have a 03 drze with no more than twin air filter, jet kit, and yosh slip on pipe and my bike hangs with my buddies crf250 and 450 bikes. weither we drag race or in the woods im always right there nipping at their rear tires.

I may be wrong, but your kicker is the same as the DRZ400E EXCEPT....kickstart instead of electric start (and the associated hardware/electrics)

so....you already have the FCR39mm carb & hotter engine & better performance cam/valves than the DRZ400S-Road Model does

yes....you should open up the airbox & rejet

ahhhha new pipe???...yours will work fine as is & be way quieter......so if you're staying in the woods or off-road, I suggest leave it as is (there are plenty of DRZ400 owners out there that would JUST LOVE to have your exhaust setup.....this outta' tell you something:smirk:

check this out:

http://www.pegmonkey.com/test/motorcycle/2001drz400k

hope this helps:thumbsup:

and thank you for your dedicated service to all us and your country:usa:

I am pretty sure the Kickers are already opened up. I've got an 01 Kicker as well and there's nothing to cut away. If any was cut away it would drop the CDI into the airbox.....:thumbsup:

My '03 had a rubber snorkel/baffle dingus in the airbox top which was easlily removed to increase flow without any cutting required.

Opened up muffler outlet-better flow-not too loud.

Jetted per Eddie's recommendations and... OMG runs like the DR-Z was meant to! :thumbsup:

If the cylinder is damaged, Millenium Tech can re-plate it for use with the stock-size piston.

http://www.mt-llc.com/

Add a third-party (Weisco, JE, etc.) high-compression piston, and an "E" base gasket and that should add quite a bit of power.

However, the cost will be about equal to a big bore kit from Millenium, which includes all the gaskets. As they say, there's no replacement for displacement, and you're already running against 450s, bringing your motor to 440 would certainly help even the playing field.

Regarding the crank, you can actually rebuild the stock crank, and parts are available separately. Another option is that HotRods sell a stock-replacement crank and rod assembly which has a larger big-end bearing than OEM for about equal in price to rebuilding the stock parts if you include labor cost.

It looks like the oil pump failed. Damage to the cam keepers, cams and the rod/rod bearings. Cam chain is streached. Slight scoring in the bore. The head looks good with only the cam keepers being worn.

So I need new cams, cam chain, rod kit, fix the bore, new oil pump. I am replacing the piston with a 13-1 over the stock 12.5-1

Question: is there some where I can get just the cam keepers or do I have to get a new head? Or is there some where I can send the head out to and have the keepers fixed and then line-bored to specs.

Advise welcome

Brian