Sign in to follow this  

250R muffler question.

So I rode my bike last night for the first time with a new 2005 CRF250R muffler on it. At low rpms and at idle it make a weird popping sound that seems to actually come from about 4 feet behind the bike. If I disrupt the airflow at all with my finger it goes away. So it seems that is just the way the air flows and exists the muffler. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to get rid of it?

Side notes: It is loud, I don't know if I like it yet.

When I shut off the bike, the muffler kept smoking like it was on fire. Hopefully whatever it is will burn off soon. It really stinks.

If it's brand new there probably is some "junk" it needs to burn off. Did you rejet the bike after installing the R muffler?

Mine does it too with my bigger baffle in it. It's the balls of sound hitting bouncing off the fender. It is pretty weird and you really notice it when standing in the right spot.

Mine smoked a little two after rides when i first put the exhaust on. It kind of freaked me out at first but it only happened for the first few rides. Not sure about the popping noise...I haven't experienced that with my R exhaust.

Someone has done this already and listed everything step by step in a thread. Search this forum and crfsonly.com. If I find the thread, I will link it.

Someone has done this already and listed everything step by step in a thread. Search this forum and crfsonly.com. If I find the thread, I will link it.

thank you, ur a good man