Sign in to follow this  

Have you ever been stuck at a light waiting for a light to change?

Thought I would share this info to all. Get a good magnet (6lbs. pull +) and attach it to the underside of your bike and you won,t have to wait until a car comes up behind to go. :)

Yep, that's happened more than once! Had to swap places with a car to get them to change.

Do those things work though? The reviews I've seen are "mixed" at best, even for magnets designed specifically for that purpose. Then when you get one, the instructions will say something like "find the sensor wire and glide slowly and directly over it." Well in that case, you might as well just lower your kickstand onto the wire loop, which will trigger the light just as well without adding any weight to your bike.

They've started putting white X's on the pavement on the right side of the lane near the stop bars. That's the best place to put your front tire. Or just put your bike directly over the faint ring.

I've found it even works with light road bikes (pedal bikes, less than 20 lbs). Although sometimes have to tip the bike sideways.

+1 on the white X's, that's what they mean. I notice most of them mark the point where the loop joins the line that goes over to the curb, so if there's no X, position yourself over the connection.

I've run into the stop light problem a few times. Adding more weight to the bike doesn't really entice me to install one of those magnet/sensors offered by a few companies. Just in case no one knows, there are devices as such to trigger the traffic lights.

I normally wait for 2 light cycles, then I proceed to cross with caution. I have put the kickstand down, and have ran to push the walk button before. :)

Magnets don't work.

The sensors work on inductance. There is a loop buried in the ground and it's inductance changes when a metal object is over it. A motorcycle stopping right in the middle of the sensor is not as effective as one stopping on the edge. If the sensor is a diamond try stopping on one of the side corners. If the sensor is a circle stop on one of the side edges. If it still won't change report it to whoever is in charge of your cities traffic signs.

Stop Whining! We have 'affirmative defense' meaning we can run the light on a motorcycle if it doesn't change, and it's safe to do so - BUT - we can't split lanes. God I miss lane splitting. It's the only thing that kept me sane. Now I get to watch the Twin Cities turn into a mini-L.A. and sit at a dead stop in traffic. Evaporative cooling doesn't work too good in the summer when the humidity is 93%.

Correct me if IM wrong but if the light does not turn green after 2 sequences then the light is defective and its OK to proceed with caution. IM in California.

If there's enough traffic, the cars behind me trip the light. If not, and it doesn't change? Then I'll "proceed with caution."

Placing your bike in the correct spot with regards to the activation loops helps.

From US DOT's doc on sensor technology...

BICYCLE AND MOTORIZED VEHICLE DETECTION MODELS

Figure 2-9 illustrates the detection of a bicycle or motorcycle by an inductive loop. These conveyances can be modeled as a vertical conducting object relative to the plane of the loop. When the cycle travels along the loop wire, eddy currents are induced in the conducting wheel rims and frame. When the cycle is directly over the loop wire, coupling between the inductive loop and the cycle is maximized.

fig2_9.gif

Basically, run the rims over the wire channel cut in the pavement like npm said above.

I,ve sat at a light for 10 minutes just to see if it would change at some point. This was late at night with no traffic around. I,ve put the kick syand down and pushed the button for the cross walk and I,ve said the hell with this and just went. I picked up a couple of very powerful magnets from the gun show and I,ll have to get back to you with the results. Thanks for the replyies from everyone because its very frustrating just sitting there looking like a idiot.

You're on a motorcycle, why not just make 2 right hands and 2 u-turns?

So you just end up going the way you just came from??!!!:thumbsup::usa: