Sign in to follow this  

Sidewinder Sprocket goodies

Well, I drank the Sidewinder kool-aid and bought the best they offer, 13 tooth front and 46 tooth rear Ti II sprockets, Ti moly bolts, 12k lb (stock WRR is 6k lb) Smart chain, their alignment tool, and chain grunge brush. I had previously read a few threads on this site about how horrible the customer service at Sidewinder is(granted they were 6yr old threads). I would like to report that the service I've recieved thus far has been outstanding. I dealt with Alex, and he was both knowledgeable and helpful and got me my order in two days. I'm happy so far.

sprockets002.jpg

I will have the verified weights of the stock and Sidewinder parts posted shortly, to see what kind of weight loss these products offer. Standby

Wow that looks good!

How much did all of that run you if you dont mind me asking?

I bet alot. I bought the 12t front sprocket from them and it was $80+.

Machtig, how does your alignment tool work? Ive been thinking about getting that one.

I bet alot. I bought the 12t front sprocket from them and it was $80+.

Machtig, how does your alignment tool work? Ive been thinking about getting that one.

yeah it wasn't cheap, everything including shipping was $533 If the stuff is as good as they say it is, the chain should last quite a while and if I wear out the sprockets, they will replace them. I plan on keeping the ole girl until she dies, so hopefully I'll get my money's worth.

When I get to the point where I use the tool tomorrow, I'll take a photo and post it. Its definitely not worth $40, but, whatever, its only money.

Very cool. I am looking forward to hearing your ride and usage report Machtig.

When my Renthal rear sprocket goes, then I plan to get a Sidewinder front/rear/chain as well.

How does the smart chain work? It says it will lubricate itself....

does that mean it does not require lubing?

How does the smart chain work? It says it will lubricate itself....

does that mean it does not require lubing?

They say it will self lubricate for about 3 seasons of use, but they still recommend you use their SS-51 chain lube, and that you must use the lube on chain break in.

For chain alignment I have started using a 12" metal straight edge. I just take off the chain guard and lay the straight edge on the side of the sprocket. I run it just under the chain and I can look down through the chain and see if it's aligned. You've got to put it in gear and pull the top side of the chain tight to make it accurate.

It is gonna be hard to beat :

Primary Drive Steel Kit & X-Ring Chain

Fits: 2008, YAMAHA, WR250F

Our price: $84.99

Part# 1097360173

which should take you the better part of 15k miles of dualsportish 50/50 riding without breaking a sweat. These in steel on my TE450 lasted 2 years of 95% off road in mud & sand with lots of rock hits too. The damn thing never needed adjustment, it just worked & worked!

I know you bought tools too, how much was just the chain & sprockets?

yeah it wasn't cheap, everything including shipping was $533 If the stuff is as good as they say it is, the chain should last quite a while and if I wear out the sprockets, they will replace them. I plan on keeping the ole girl until she dies, so hopefully I'll get my money's worth.

When I get to the point where I use the tool tomorrow, I'll take a photo and post it. Its definitely not worth $40, but, whatever, its only money.

As long as it works good.

I ride in WA, so there is plenty of dirt that gets caked in the bikes. A chain and sprocket kit I was looking at was about 200. So I will have to give these guys a call and see what the diff is to never have to buy another sprocket.

As long as we are talking expensive sprockets, I've had a good experience with the Ironman sprockets on my KTM 450. I just cant wear them out. Worth every penny IMO.