Sign in to follow this  

Anyone tried a 120/90-19 Rear Tire??

Hey guys...

Rebuilding my wheels this week and thinking of switching out the stock Bridgestone M404 110/90-19 for the Maxxis IT 120/90-19...

I do a lot of track riding...all dirt but also alot of sand pit riding with dunes around 10-15 stories high....

I am also not a small rider...245lbs with gear and 6"3'.

Any comments or suggestions would be great!! :)

Thanks...

I really don't like the way a 120-19 corners. Tire profile is too squared off, making hard cornering a bit unpredictable. Straight line traction is better.

For offroad I use a 120-18 (same rounded profile as a 110-19, but a lot less punishing) and for the MX track a 110-19.

Hey NorCal....thanks for the view.

Could elaborate a bit for me....I ran Maxxis last year and I thought they handled pretty good and I got some good life out of them.

To be honest haven't ridden much on the Bridgestones....:thumbsup:

Can you give me a few specifics as I have not committed yet to any tire...?:usa:

And what is your view on the 120/90-19???...and why did you mention that I may even be more dissatisfied...I have not yet rode a 120 myself?

Thanks again..:lol:

Hey guys...

Rebuilding my wheels this week and thinking of switching out the stock Bridgestone M404 110/90-19 for the Maxxis IT 120/90-19...

I do a lot of track riding...all dirt but also alot of sand pit riding with dunes around 10-15 stories high....

Any comments or suggestions would be great!! :thumbsup:

Thanks...

Hey man, i ran a Maxxis 120/90-19 on my yz450 and liked it until i put a 110/90-19 on it. Maxxis is fine for a tire, the 120/90-19 will make your bike grab more but you'll lose speed, its almost like putting a tooth bigger sprocket on your bike, plus because its a bigger tire, its heavy as well. I didnt notice cornering too much but it could be a problem. The 110/90-19 allows me to clear all the obsticles on the track with no problem and keep my speed. I run a Maxxis M6001 on the rear now, great for me on the east cost mx tracks.

Hey NorCal....thanks for the view.

Could elaborate a bit for me....I ran Maxxis last year and I thought they handled pretty good and I got some good life out of them.

To be honest haven't ridden much on the Bridgestones....:usa:

Can you give me a few specifics as I have not committed yet to any tire...?:lol:

And what is your view on the 120/90-19???...and why did you mention that I may even be more dissatisfied...I have not yet rode a 120 myself?

Thanks again..:lol:

Well I'm not trying to trash talk the Maxxis tire. It is decent and it wears

pretty good. I mainly don't like it because it is heavy and the sidewalls are so

stiff it makes it a mother to install. Not to mention, all that heavy mass is

multiplied with the rotational forces of your tire spinning.

When you run a 120 you are adding even more weight to an already heavy

tire. And like many people have mentioned your handling will get screwed up

with the 120. The bike will be harder to lay over and will want to track straighter.

Hope that helps.:thumbsup:

120 is good on the starts, helps you get out front!

Just have to put some velcro on your seat.

Hey guys....great thread...thanks for all the opinions.:thumbsup:

If one was to stay with Bridgestone...is there a weapon of choice??

Well what type of riding do you do?

I would stick with the M404 because it is a good intermediate tire.

My favorites are:

Michelin M12

Bridgestone M404

Dunlop 756 (756RR when available)

I'm running a Dunlop 739 right now because they were selling them for 35

bucks at my local shop....hard to pass that up.

I just put a pair of the new Dunlop Geomax M51 Int. on my bike ,and they are amazing! The stock Bridgestones where a good tire as well but these corner really well and I went with the 120x19,Hopefully they wear well.

Well what type of riding do you do?

I would stick with the M404 because it is a good intermediate tire.

My favorites are:

Michelin M12

Bridgestone M404

Dunlop 756 (756RR when available)

I'm running a Dunlop 739 right now because they were selling them for 35

bucks at my local shop....hard to pass that up.

Even at that price you'll regret the 739s unless you ride on asphalt and/or concrete.

Even at that price you'll regret the 739s unless you ride on asphalt and/or concrete.

No, that's a bit of an exaggeration. The 739 is a decent mid-hard terrain tire. It

is like a 756 with closer knob spacing.

Hey NorCal...thanks again for the input on the Maxxis.

One question....being a bigger rider for MX....6'4" and 230lbs...any input on the ability to lay the bike over during corning with a 120 being offset by my fat #ss??...well not really fat I hope, but my oversize or am I missing the idea on handling completely.

Like someone said upthread...won't know till I actually try onea...but still on the fence.

Thanks...

Hey NorCal...thanks again for the input on the Maxxis.

One question....being a bigger rider for MX....6'4" and 230lbs...any input on the ability to lay the bike over during corning with a 120 being offset by my fat #ss??...well not really fat I hope, but my oversize or am I missing the idea on handling completely.

Like someone said upthread...won't know till I actually try onea...but still on the fence.

Thanks...

I think you'll be alright. My brother, Rob, likes the 120 because where he mainly rides

traction is king and the bigger footprint helps. Rob is probably about 230 pounds

after all said and done (extremely athletic and fit), and he is definitely one of

the best riders I ride with.

Give it a shot and let us know how you like it! :thumbsup:

Hey guys...

Any comments or suggestions would be great!! :thumbsup:

Thanks...

hey i have an 06 rmz 450 and i have the maxxis desert it 120-90-19 and i love it the tire lasts sooo long and you hook up really good im 5,11" and about 230 without gear and the tire is great

Thanks guys...

Appreciate all the opinions...looks like I am off the fence and just going to give it a try....120 it is....worse case scenario is burn it off and go back to the 110.:lol:

Talked to my shop and they recommend a 120/*80-19...saying it would have the same circumfrence as a 110/90 when you do the math....and it won't change the geometry of the bike at all.:usa:

I will let you know how it "turns" out...once the snow it gone up her...just snowed 20cm in the past couple days...the weather guy blamed it on a Colorado Low...oh well...have to get the new wheels mounted anyway....Think Sun.:thumbsup:

Cheers.

have u installed the maxxis desert IT yet?

I bought a set of maxxis IT's only because there heavy duty and the type of riding i like is all baja or high desert. I went with a 120 rear also and like to know if it actually fits on da rear of a 08/09 rmz4-fiddy

I will for sure Mofoe...

My wheels are going in Monday to start the build...I think I am going to powder coat the hubs.:thumbsup: