Sign in to follow this  

e model cams base gasket on an s/sm help please

I'm sure this subject has come up before but I was unable to find anything on it.

I'd like to put e model cams and base gasket on my sm until my checking account says I can get hotcams and a big bore.

My question is if I change out the base gasket won't that raise my compression. Therefore. Is an e model or other high compression piston necessary?

Also, does anyone know where I can pick up these parts?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I expect to see all you socal sumo boys and girls at the opening round this weekend in fontana!!

I'm sure this subject has come up before but I was unable to find anything on it.

I'd like to put e model cams and base gasket on my sm until my checking account says I can get hotcams and a big bore.

My question is if I change out the base gasket won't that raise my compression. Therefore. Is an e model or other high compression piston necessary?

Also, does anyone know where I can pick up these parts?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I expect to see all you socal sumo boys and girls at the opening round this weekend in fontana!!

yes, swapping to the E base gasket raises compression. you would need to run premium fuel. most will tell you it's not worth pulling the cylinder just for this swap, as it will not be a substantial gain & you need new rings if you pull the cylinder completely off. replacing the rings can be avoided if you do not completely pull the cylinder. you would need to remove a c-clip & the piston pin, leaving the piston in the bore & re-install the same.

all drz's use the same piston & rings from the factory. E model & kick only models use a thinner base gasket for increased compression & power. S/SM models are de-tuned for emission purposes & to run on lower octane fuel.

if you went to a high compression piston & the E model base gasket, you would need to use a higher octane fuel than is available @ the pump.

base gasket can be purchased oem or aftermarket gasket companys(cometic, etc.)

there's a pair of E model cams in the tt classifieds, along with some old school stage 2 hotcams - non of which are mine nor am i affiliated with the sale of those parts in any way.

Do not bother with the base gasket unless there is another reason to pull the jug. To get the same performance that the gasket will give you, just add a pound of air to your tires (or take out a pound). The E cams are certainly worth the trouble and easy enough to sell later.

You will find E cams here in the TT classifieds or on Ebay....I got my set for $50 and it was about an hour to install. Most think they are worth it for about $100. The improvement I got was well worth $100 and had I known before I would have paid $125 to get a set. Be sure you get the right E cams. Do a search here and understand the letter markings on the gear end of the cams so you know you have the good E cams...some E cams are just like the cams you now have.