Rattlesnakes are out!

I was on a ride yesterday with SBtrailrider and paul_arc and I ran over a small 3 footer yesterday on some single track. He was crossing the trail and I picked up the diamond markings right before I crossed over him :)

We stopped a couple hundred yards before that too. The flowers, weeds, and grass have all spouted over the past couple weeks and visibility is low. Be careful where you stop and put your feet down folks!

I do carry a snake bite kit in my medical pack and I recently bought a SPOT locater for extra insurance, but I would rather not turn one of my limbs into pepperoni pizza if I can avoid it!

This is bite after a 2nd surgery and 36 hours after the bite.

Picture1.jpg

I <3 Rattlesnakes!

They paid for my first car. :)

I used to keep about 30 of them and milk them for venom. At $90/oz. at the time it was great money for a 14 year old.

• Like 1

Oh come on they're friendly little guys.

Here's one I caught out in Cal City about 12 years ago.

Notice the cool LBZ clothes. Gota love the mid 90's. :)

Stevespictures011.jpg

Stevespictures011.jpg

Nice pants. Matches the snake.:banghead: :banghead:

Nice pants. Matches the snake.:):banghead:

:banghead:

I know, LBZ shirt and green jean riding pants. :foul:

Haha I'm exaggerating, it would take more than that to really turn my stomach.

With real moto pants and boots and kneepads, it would be really hard for a rattlesnake to bite into your skin effectively and deliver venom unless you were laying on the ground. We've seen them out before many many times. They're more of a hazard on the mountain bike and I've had a couple REAL close calls with them in the last few weeks.

I was on a ride yesterday with SBtrailrider and paul_arc and I ran over a small 3 footer yesterday on some single track. He was crossing the trail and I picked up the diamond markings right before I crossed over him :)

We stopped a couple hundred yards before that too. The flowers, weeds, and grass have all spouted over the past couple weeks and visibility is low. Be careful where you stop and put your feet down folks!

I do carry a snake bite kit in my medical pack and I recently bought a SPOT locater for extra insurance, but I would rather not turn one of my limbs into pepperoni pizza if I can avoid it!

This is bite after a 2nd surgery and 36 hours after the bite.

Picture1.jpg

Is that your arm? If so any issues after the healing? Here in NM we have quite a few rattlesnakes. I've had 2 dogs bit by rattlesnakes and have had to remove quite a few off my property. As I recall the only snakes I remember seeing last year were in September. I sure appreciate the heads up!

Haha I'm exaggerating, it would take more than that to really turn my stomach.

With real moto pants and boots and kneepads, it would be really hard for a rattlesnake to bite into your skin effectively and deliver venom unless you were laying on the ground. We've seen them out before many many times. They're more of a hazard on the mountain bike and I've had a couple REAL close calls with them in the last few weeks.

Well, we both know that we both were on the ground a few times during that ride :):banghead: :banghead: I guess watch where you land when crashing would be more appropriate:smirk:

Is that your arm? If so any issues after the healing? Here in NM we have quite a few rattlesnakes. I've had 2 dogs bit by rattlesnakes and have had to remove quite a few off my property. As I recall the only snakes I remember seeing last year were in September. I sure appreciate the heads up!

Not my arm. I did have a pet rattlesnake once and let him go once he grew too big and I got bored of him. That could have been him. I let him go with a half mile of that area :foul:

Yeah I didnt see that one yesterday but I did forget to tell you I saw a nice sized one by my house, a good 6'er. I didnt see it untill like you said right before you cross over it and it did jump at least a foot in the air when I looked back.

Well, we both know that we both were on the ground a few times during that ride :):banghead: :banghead: I guess watch where you land when crashing would be more appropriate:smirk:

Hey......just because you wanted to go on an excavating mission.....

Yeah actually went I got blinded and went off the trail that was my first thought. I pretty much stayed on the trail but the bike went off the side a few feet. Kinda looked around the bike for a few seconds before I went to pull it out of the weeds.

21MojaveGreenRattler.jpg

Mojave Green. This guy didn't last long after LT ran him over. I went back and finished him off. Tourists with kids in the area. They didn't get it. Wondered why we were tormenting the poor snake. One bite to one of their kids and they would have thought different. Be especially aware of the MG's, much more toxic than a sidewinder.

Stevespictures011.jpg

seriously reconsidering any trips to the west coast now:thinking: and not because of the snakes either:prof: nice pants wit:smirk: one more clip for the ole witdogg archive:p

I got bit by a rattler when I was an early teen. I was a mean little sob and wanted to bite it back....

:thumbsup:

21MojaveGreenRattler.jpg

Mojave Green. This guy didn't last long after LT ran him over. I went back and finished him off. Tourists with kids in the area. They didn't get it. Wondered why we were tormenting the poor snake. One bite to one of their kids and they would have thought different. Be especially aware of the MG's, much more toxic than a sidewinder.

C'mon guy! frickin psycho greenies will scream that we are killing wildlife. I can see it now.

"Dirtbiker saves children from deadly snake and then becomes a wildlife murderer"