Sign in to follow this  

Higher than 93 Octane?

I was wondering if you get any more "power" with a higher octane gas than 93. Also if it is bad to do this...? A local gas station has 110 octane race gas and it's quite tempting...

Higher octance race gas will do nothing but drain your wallet. If you want more power from fuel alone you would need to use an oxygenated race fuel and change your jetting to match.

Higher octance race gas will do nothing but drain your wallet. If you want more power from fuel alone you would need to use an oxygenated race fuel and change your jetting to match.

+1. The only reason you probably would have to run higher octane is if had a high compression piston and your engine is pinging. On another note along the same line....don't put 91 or 93 octane in your car unless it's required. Same concept applies....just drains your wallet.

Octane is an anti knock additive, as the previous 2 posts stated only beneficial if it is required for higher compression.

It might even hurt your performance. Higher octane fuel is a little harder to burn if im not mistaken, so you might not burn it all off.

Always go with the lowest recommended octane rating required for the most power. Going with a higher octane rating than needed is basically like retarding the timing of the ignition. Higher octane fuel burns slower than lower octane fuel.

JR

I believe 91 is the lowest recommended but you can only get 87,89,and 93 where I live.

I run the JE 13.5:1 piston and my bike runs great on pump 93.

+1. The only reason you probably would have to run higher octane is if had a high compression piston and your engine is pinging. On another note along the same line....don't put 91 or 93 octane in your car unless it's required. Same concept applies....just drains your wallet.

Not totally true... running higher octane in a fuel injected car with knock sensors can be beneficial as the knock sensors well sense knock and will tell the computer to advance the timing untill the motor starts to knock then back off a lil to achieve max performance... higher the octane the more advance on the timing the motor can run and thus the more power / better mpg. wether the power / mpg increase is worth the extra money for the higher octane has always been up for debate however.

But on a lil dirbike motor without the sophistication of knock sensors n whatnot all that has been stated is true.

Not totally true... running higher octane in a fuel injected car with knock sensors can be beneficial as the knock sensors well sense knock and will tell the computer to advance the timing untill the motor starts to knock then back off a lil to achieve max performance... higher the octane the more advance on the timing the motor can run and thus the more power / better mpg. wether the power / mpg increase is worth the extra money for the higher octane has always been up for debate however.

But on a lil dirbike motor without the sophistication of knock sensors n whatnot all that has been stated is true.

That is not exactly how it works. The motor is set to run at max performance, but if you put in lower octane gas than what is required the computer will retard the timing to stop knock. So, if your car is designed to run 87 octane there is no gain in performance from using higher octane gas, but you can lose performance. Without the knock sensor and computer control, you would damage the engine by running reduced levels of octane.

I know what you are trying to say, but that's not really how it works from what I understand. If you have a honda civic that requires 87 octane to reach max performance, putting 91 octane in it is not going to give you anymore performance. I hear people all the time say, "well, when I put 91 octane in my bone stock honda civic it feels faster than when I use 87 octane". nope, sorry it's not any faster, but you did waste money on the 91 octane.