Sign in to follow this  

HIGH altitude jetting!!! anyone in CO with a 650L?

Have been researching and getting ready to "Dave" my L but wonder what jets I should purchase or would I be better off buying a kit and trial and error. Everything I have read have been low altitude bikes.

I live at 7500' and will be riding up to 13,000' maybe a lil over. I am looking for some feedback on jetting for this range.

im not sure what jets come in the JD kits of if you can get a certain one for different elevation ranges that would have different jets, i know jets are $5 ea so if you have to buy 2 mains and 2 pilots your still only $20 I would be something like a 50-52 pilot is close and a 148-150 main maybe? jetting for 8k feet like where you live is what you need to jet for and deal with a little rich up higher as you dont wanna be lean from the house. What do you have in there now for jetitng? stock still.

I live in Boulder and currently my 650L is jetted at 55 / 158 (KEIHIN) with the air snorkel removed, UNI air filter, and stock exhaust. Mixture screw @ 2.5 from seat and needle jet shimmed + .034”

I was at 9000'+ on Sunday and the engine was handling just fine.

When ordering jets I requested both + / - sizes so that I could experiment with different set-ups and to avoid shipping costs associated with additional orders.

I recommend JetRUs. Their service was great!

:)

and i have ran higher elevation with that jetting, about 6500 max and you can tell its RICH, they run but as you creep above 7k and up it will only get worse, they will run but they are really rich with that jetting and should be adjusted for overall best performance, id bet your bike would run better with both pilot and main dropped some for 5k and up jetting

What do you have in there now for jetitng? stock still.

Well I have not pulled the carb yet to know exactly whats in there. The PO said he had it re-jetted for 8-10k ft no specifics, and ya never know.

If I have time before work tomorrow I will pull carb and check it out. This is my first bike so I have no reference point but feel like it should be running stronger.

I also feel like it is running rich already...but not sure, after a ride when I shut it off and park I can smell gas??? How do you tell if it is rich???

I guess my main concern is having the right jets in hand so I will be ready when I pull the snorkel and install a uni and get some more air in the mix. I would like to get a full exhaust system but the funds are tight after the purchase and that will have to wait.

Like I said this is my first bike and I was ok with the throttle lag and sluggish performance however I have already put 600 miles on it and am feeling very comfortable and want to start unleashing the beast if you will.

Thanks for all your help, have spent countless hrs trolling TT last couple months trying to absorb the vast knowledge that is out there.

I m at 5700 ft. in Utah and run one size jets up from stock, k&n with snorkle pulled and stock pipe. Runs good for me.........