Sign in to follow this  

Header recommendation 03 KX 85

Currently running stock header and FMF turbine core 2 sparky. Bike runs great as is, but we're looking for more.

Would like increase initial hit and maintain broad power band.

Bike is used offroad, not track.

FMF Fatty, or Pro Circuit Works??, Or ???

Let those comments and recommedations fly.

Thanks!

Bills makes a nice pipe for the 85, outside of that I'd go with a PC platinum - my son loves his PC platinum with R304 Silencer combo - plenty of power through the rpms.

The platinum gives the same performance as the works but because it's platinum coated it's much easier to keep looking nice.

A FWW and reed block spacer might be more helpful for off road. I don't think there is a pipe for the 85 that will give it more low end power like the Gnarly that is available for the bigger bikes. We put an FMF on my son's kx65 and I couldn't tell the difference in the low end but it sure rips mid to high.

FWW? Reed block spacer? Please tell me more.

My son just had the chance to take a spin on a KX80 big wheel (no KIPS) that has a FMF Fatty on it. Immediately he noticed the earlier hit.

It could have just been the lack of a power valve?

It was most likely because of not having a KIPS. It might have been in the gearing as well. Being a big wheel will change the feel of it too. 2" front and rear makes a difference.

here's a thread that that this guy posted about V-force reeds and a test we did a year ago. My call sign there is Sapper69. click here

Also, if you ever have to do a bottom end and you want more power, I highly suggest a +2mm crank, send the head to Bob at BC racing for machining. We just did my sons 100. We kept the stock bore for now until his other cylinder gets done to 54.5mm. The power and hit is UNREAL. Scared the Pee out of me the first time I hit it. 1st, 2nd, 3rd pulled up on me, in dirt, up on the tank. I mean almost rear fender-hitting pulled up. After getting used to it for a day, he shaved 4 sec. off his lap time on our track in the back yard. I gotta get some vids. it hits hard and fast.

back in the day when my friend was on 80's he had the same bike, 03 kx85... he put a procircuit works on it and it lost bottom for a big gain up top.

Personally I dont think pipes are worth it on 2 stroke, from my experience just aftermarket silencers do more good...