Sign in to follow this  

Just bought an FCR 35... can i expect 3rd gear wheelies now?

Hey all, finally got the money and ordered an fcr35 today from fsw. Currently I have the kk330 kit and full muzzy exhaust the highest gear i can get it to wheelie in is second and that requires me trying. Do you think the fcr will allow 3rd gear wheelies? you guys think it's a good investment? I have heard many say it the most noticable improvement dollar for dollar you can do to a klx. Some people even told me they would pick a klx300 with fcr over a klx330 with cvk.... is it really THAT GOOD I sure hope so! thanks for the help!

Some people even told me they would pick a klx300 with fcr over a klx330 with cvk.... is it really THAT GOOD I sure hope so! thanks for the help!

Yes it is.

If you know how to wheelie, you'll find it a lot easier to wheelie with a pumper. Better and more instant low end power, and more control. If you're expecting it to wheelie automatically, you'll be disappointed.

Get yourself some 1" or bigger risers and tilt your handlebars forwards 10 or 15 degrees and you'll be able to flip it over backwards in third with those mods.

will be snappier, but not night and day compared to a perfectly jetted CVK. as someone already said, it's not gonna automatically "come up" like a 400cc Honda or Suzuki will. Wheelies take torque to do themselves, and even with a big-bore, the KLX just doesn't have much. Your on-road rideability will suffer immensely with the pumper over the CV. But off-road it will be slightly better, especially with the instant response to loft the front end over obstacles whereas with the CV there was just that slight delay. but calling a spade a spade, if the CV is jetted perfectly, it's a solid competitor vs. spending the $500 or so and all the trouble to jet the FCR. after you get used to the FCR, there will just be another mod you'll want to improve the bike's performance. that's the devil in this bike, people buy it because it's cheap and adequately capable with a "few" mods. but then, people like you sink a grand or two into it to make the bike what they wanted to begin with, realize it's still too soft (26 horse), sell, and lose their arse on it and the mods when they should have bought a Husky or KTM to begin with. But hey, that's the beauty of any bike- modding it to make it what you want it to be.

yeah I do admit that If I could do it all over again, I would've just waited until I saved enough money for a ktm or just plated a crf450x which can be done pretty easily in PA. But now that I've started I really love this bike now.

plus, the '09 just looks good as well. especially the red color as it's pretty rare and uncommon. with the mods you've got and the FCR on its way, I really don't see anything else you could do to improve the performance of the bike unless you've got infinite time and money and then, 35 horse is really the threshhold unless you've got Roeseler's mechanic and want to do valves monthly on your stroker that has dwindled reliability now. A stock DRZ pumps out 35 stock rwhp. It's a gem of an engine with buttloads of smooth torque.

I have a 250s with a 300 jug, full Muzzy, FCR35 and 14/47 gearing. I can easily pull the bike up in third gear with the right technique. Fourth gear will come up with some persuasion.

I think that the FCR is just as good on the street as it is offroad.

notice how you say that "I can easily pull the bike up......"

Shoot, I can do 3rd gear wheelies with my bike as it is right now- stock sans a dynojet kit, and Twin-Air filter, 13-tooth front sprocket- WITH SOME CLUTCHING AND BODILY PERSUATION. He is wanting to know if he can expect automatic wheelies due to the fact that he will now have the coveted FCR carb. It's not going to happen.

As far as on-road riding with an FCR, well, an FCR is either on or off whereas a CV has constant velocity making it smoother which is one of the reasons they put it on this bike because it's a good compromise between the two no matter how sucky people think it may be vs. a pumper. I stand behind my statement of a properly jetted CV is a good competitor to a pumper when you consider all the pros/cons of each ON A DUAL SPORT BIKE. A full enduro/off-road bike needs a pumper carb no doubt about it. The 250S is not that bike however, and neither is the 300 realistically speaking. The KDX's otoh, are but they're 2-stroke and a whole different ballgame.

I installed a fcr35 pumper on my wifes 09 klx250s and she really likes it. She said that the stock carb is so non responsive in comparison that she would never want the 34 cvk back on there.

I had put the dj kit 2206 (40p, dj 132m kouba fuel screw) on it and it still didn't come close to the oomph of the pumper carb. My wife says that the off the line power is way better. Top speed is the same, but getting there is where the fun is. A scotts stabilizer makes her feel way safer off road and on road too.

She has yet to get it to pull a power wheelie tho. stock gearing:lol:

The CVK is a street bike carb; cheap to produce, easy to meet emissions standards (especially in the '80s, when it was introduced) and works well for providing the correct air-fuel ratio in a variety of conditions. It was never designed for off road riding, and performs poorly for anything other than casual cow-trailing and fire-roading. Once you compare it to a pumper carb, you'll notice how much the CVK lacks in performance.

That said, there was absolutely nothing wrong with my DJ CVK. I rode everywhere I wanted to go, and worked around its poor throttle response by anticipating when I needed extra power, or else I wouldn't attempt certain things.

I don't knock the CVK, it's just that a pumper fills in a lot of performance gaps and makes the KLX a whole lot more fun and capable.

The FCR is a street bike carb; cheap to produce, easy to meet emissions standards (especially in the '80s, when it was introduced) and works well for providing the correct air-fuel ratio in a variety of conditions. It was never designed for off road riding, and performs poorly for anything other than casual cow-trailing and fire-roading. Once you compare it to a pumper carb, you'll notice how much the CVK lacks in performance.

That said, there was absolutely nothing wrong with my DJ CVK. I rode everywhere I wanted to go, and worked around its poor throttle response by anticipating when I needed extra power, or else I wouldn't attempt certain things.

I don't knock the CVK, it's just that a pumper fills in a lot of performance gaps and makes the KLX a whole lot more fun and capable.

dude, you need to edit I believe. Unless you're really ignorant as to what the FCR carb was designed to do. I think you meant CV, right?:banghead:

dude, you need to edit I believe. Unless you're really ignorant as to what the FCR carb was designed to do. I think you meant CV, right?:banghead:

Pretty sure he meant CVK.

Don't expect 3rd gear wheelies, they can be had they just take a little practice and some finesse. You will be happy with the pumper especially from Jerry it should be jetted just about perfect for you elevations. Get it installed and let us know how you like it. It won't make your bike a race bike by any means what you get is a trail bike that works like it should have from when you bought it. You will notice a difference, huge? Not really. You will find more pull from bottom to top without no hesitation, hence the wheelies. Enjoy.:banghead:

• Like 1

Pretty sure he meant CVK.

I thought it was pretty clear from the context.

Oh man, you're right. Duh. Thanks for spotting that. It's corrected.