Yamaha's excel rims

This has been on my mind lately after working on my '06 YZ 250 I noticed that my front rim has an obvious like hop in it. I was hoping I can true it out some but I'm pretty positive I bent the rim. I can see where it flattened and sorta pulls to the side just in that one spot. Holding my fingers on the edge of the rim spinning the wheel I can feel it.

Now I know that even though the manufacture's love to say it comes with excel rims I wonder if they are the same build quality of excels you buy? I'm suspecting the yamaha's are slightly thinner walls.

There is only one time I can recall where I hit the rim hard enough to maybe do the damnage. I've also managed to bend one of the front spokes on my YZ 144 but that has the supposively cheap DID rims but that one isn't bent and I know I've hit stuff harder with it.

yes I keep my wheels true'd I even have that damn RK torque wrench for it.

Cause yamaha probably got a deal on the rim's that way just cause it says excel which isn't really the manufacture's name it's just the brand of rim. It is takasago "EXCEL" rims so takasago could of been farmed out to by yamaha to make thier rims and put the excel logo on them.

Honda does this with thier DID rims on the CR / CRF lines so I wouldn't put it past yamaha to not do the same thing. I know suzuki did this when they frist started offering excels on the RM's there was a small blurb about it in '02 that's why the '03 RM's rim's where made thicker they mentioned it in thier ad's as if it was some kind of upgrade.

I've heard stories that the ones that come stock are weaker than the ones you buy, but I'm not sure I believe it. People say if it has one "Excel" logo on each side then it is a weaker rim than ones that have two logo's on them. However, at the end of the day they are just rims, and if you run low air pressure and don't maintain your spokes correctly any rim is going to bend or get flat spots. I have seen just as many bent aftermarket Excel rims as stock ones.

The standard fitment Excel rims on Yamahas are actually a 6000-series aluminium, produced by Excel for the OEM market (Yamaha, KTM and a couple European brands). The Excel rims you buy aftermarket from a store are 7000-series aluminium, much stronger.

The 6000-series Excels ARE stronger than DID or San Remo or *choke* SM Pro rims, but aren't as strong as 7000-series.

Buy some Excel A60 rims...lighter and stronger, you won't be disappointed!

(guess who used to work at the Excel importers? Haha I might be biased, but Excel rims are one thing I know a little bit about)

The standard fitment Excel rims on Yamahas are actually a 6000-series aluminium, produced by Excel for the OEM market (Yamaha, KTM and a couple European brands). The Excel rims you buy aftermarket from a store are 7000-series aluminium, much stronger.

The 6000-series Excels ARE stronger than DID or San Remo or *choke* SM Pro rims, but aren't as strong as 7000-series.

(guess who used to work at the Excel importers? Haha I might be biased, but Excel rims are one thing I know a little bit about)

Excellent info. Thanks.

I figured out the issue with the stock wheels when I bought a spoke torque wrench. I even called faastco to get their opinion on this. They chuckled and said, "Thats why we sell the wrench."

I bought my bike with snow on the ground and was able to do a lot to it before riding it. The spokes were about as tight as a factory could get them...turning from the inside. It might look bad to see wrench marks on a showroom bike. The faastco wrench was tuned to 48in/lb which is still sort of low. My bike took about 1.5 more turns to achieve this torque level. Never a problem with this bike. The rims are still good.

I do want a set of a60's. They look really nice in person.

• 3 months later...

I bought a used 01 YZ250F awhile back and they came with Gold excel rims on them and I was wondering how can find out if there the 6000-series or the 7000-series?

I bought a used 01 YZ250F awhile back and they came with Gold excel rims on them and I was wondering how can find out if there the 6000-series or the 7000-series?

I don't believe there are any gold 6000 series excels, I think the gold were only made of 7000 series aluminum.