Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke to the 4 stroke

Hey all, I am just looking for your oppinion. I have a 07 YZ250 I have always ridden 2 stroke and love it. I am now thinking I want a 250F but I am concerned I won't be happy with the power. I am in the process of selling my bike now, so I thought maybe someone here already made the switch from a 250 2 stroke to he 250 4 stroke. How was the transition? are you dissapointed with the power, and do you feel faster on the 250F? I appreciate any input, hopefully I can make up my mind prior to selling my bike. LOL

i ride a 250f and im a beginner but my friend ride a 07 yz250 he has a hard timestaying with me on the track... the power delivery is very smooth and hard i love the low end grunt its my favorite the only thing i like about 2 strokes is that smell lining up on the gate at 8 am :) so i know you will like a 250f

but what kind of rider are you an A B or a C D if your a A B get a 450f it will be more suitable bunch of the local pros around here have the 450f's C or D you will like the 250f much easier to handle...

Whats your height and weight>

if you are over 220 i would highly reccomend a 450F/but you make that decision

i am 6'0 160 and the 250f has plenty of what i will ever need:smirk: ..

I rode Vet C last year I should be Vet B but I am gonna sand bag again cause i only do a couple of races a year. I really don't like the 450, just doesn't feel right to me. I rode a YZF and a CRF250 for 1 lap each so I couldn't tell if I like it or not. I'm gonna try and put a couple laps in on a YZF250 tomorrow. I only weigh 170lbs 5'10 so I think I'll be ok on the 250F.

I've ridden both and can say riding a thumper just allows me to relax and focus more on my line selection and how I attack the track rather than managing the power of a two stroke. I grew up on a yz85, rode a 125 for a while, and just recently got my thumper.

The time it really shines for me is in the mud, the power is so smooth and predictable its like 2wd vs 4wd cars during wet conditions. The predictable power allows you to hook up so much easier.

I ride mx track only and now prefer the 250f. If you ride woods, trails, harescrambles, you might want to hang onto that two stroke. If you ride mx I think you would really like the 259f. At your size and weight the 250f should be perfect. I have always ridden two stroke until the last year when I got a 450f which just felt too heavy to me. I was used to whipping my 250 two stroke around and throwing it into turns which was not possible for me on the 450f. I sold the 450 and got a yz250f which is more perfect than I imagined. It feels almost as light as my two stroke with smooth adequate power. Not the brute force of the 250 two stroke, but much smoother and easy to manage in just about any situation. The 250f has to be shifted more than the 450, but to me they are just more fun to ride. I'm 195 pounds which may be a little heavy on a 250f but I am satisfied with the power. This yz250f is a keeper. Tim

Thanks for the input, that was exactly what I wazs looking for. You had the 250 2ST and a 450. I think I am going make the change, now I just need to sell my bike and I'll be set. Thanks man.

Same as me Jeff I've just got my 1st 4st and have always ridden 2st 250's. The 4st is much easier to ride and in now way am not happy with the power. I ride vets M/X and Vets Enduros. I dpn't think I will be going back to a 2st.

MM

Before you sell your yz, look how much it will cost you if something happens to your 4stroke engine. Then you also need to be a pretty damn good machanic to do the work yourself. Two strokes are way cheaper. If you want the yz250 to be easier to ride put a fly wheel on it.

If you dont ride that much and money is not a factor in this economy, go for the four. As far as 450f vs. 250f. The 250 is reved alot harder and will require more maintanance, than the 450.

I ride a 450f and a 250 two stroke, most of my time is on the 250. Its just more fun to ride, not to mention that if I put the same abuse on the four stroke and something goes wrong with the engine it could cost 700, just for parts. If I haven't been riding that much the 450 is easier to ride, it allows me to be lazy and gas my way out of mistakes. When I'm in shape and riding alot my lap times are the same.

If I only rode two or three times a month, I would go for the four. Your probably not riding enough to wear the engine out. If I was training and riding twice a week I'd pick the two stroke.

Last fall, I transitioned from a KTM 200 EXC to a WR250F. Although the WRF is slightly heavier, it does not tire me out as quickly as the smoker did. The smooth power is so much more forgiving and my arms and shoulders hold-out longer with the 4 stroke. The 2 stroke hit is fun but I think it takes its toll on you, especially when you get old and beat-up like me. :thumbsup:

Don't do it... please don't... I saw a 07 RM250 today where i ride and it looked and rode AWESOME... nothing like the feel and maintenance cost of a 2 stroke. your call in the end though. :thumbsup:

Jeff,

I switched from an 08 KTM 250XC to an 09 YZ250F for this year's hare scrambles season. I am an A rider in our local HS series. This winter, we did some timed testing with several bikes including a YZ250. We used a short 10 minute course that simulates our race courses (mostly medium-tight desert with loose soil and rocks). My lap times were significatly faster on the 250F, even faster than my KTM 2t which I am very accustomed to riding.

At first I was a little disappointed by the 250F's inability to blip and wheelie at any speed. But I grew to love it for other reasons...particularly corner speed and suspension. Factory Connection set it up and its phenomenal. Even through the YZ250 has the same components, it does not have the same feel on the trail as the 4t. There are certain situations where I am faster on the 2t, but the 250F is a more versatile bike. Overall, I can maintain a faster pace with less fatigue. There will always be diehards who promise to kill you if you convert...

jeff...

how often do you race? i cant really get a good idea of how fast you are and how much you beat up on a bike from the "vet c" sandbag "vet b" comment. but if your racing every week and putting time in on the bike (practice) and just down right pushing it. I'd say stick with the 2stroke. unless you dont have worry about money. if your not worried about that then go for it. also your power to weight ratio will be significantly less. if your a true b rider you should know which bike to have if your looking for the better power to weight ratio...(both bikes race the same class so your not loosing out on anything and you race in a specialty class)

every rider is different, means that every bike is going to effect that rider in a different way. some are better and some are worse. but you can't ask for someone else's opinion on transition because ultimately it's going to effect you differently.

in order to rip on a 250f you must ride it like a 125...wide open. although the 4 stroke technology is getting better it's not where it should be as far as holding up to the abuse. it can not handle that type of treatment for very long. that's why most service man's say to check valve tolerances around 10-15hrs... i dont know about you but for me thats less than 1 week of riding. thats alot of maintenance in itself much less having to do what normally needs done.

yz250 2stroke...more bike for your money and less maintenance COST...if you want more i can give a detailed price list of the 4stroke grenade. i had to rebuild my 05yz250f a year ago. that cost me well over 1500. i learned the hard way....

Jeff,

Notice the A rider said WE. If you have machanics and sponsers 4 strokes are a beautiful thing. If not you will watching your two stroke friends ride!

FYI, "we" is me and my friends. No one gets a mechanic except for elite pros.

This is all too familiar, so many of us got caught up in the whole 4t thing and have since gone back to the a 2t. Don't get me wrong the 4t is definately easier (for the most part) to ride. (And I have found that most seem to agree with this irregardless of skill level or type of riding) But the truth is for those of us who ride often and/or hard you just can't beat the maintenance cost advantage of the 2t. I raced a 250F a few yrs back and I liked it but the top-end cost was just too much. Needless to say Jeff it's your decision but I'd ask around, I think you'll find more than a few ticked-off 4t owners.

Thanks, you all have valid points. I ride every weekend and race a couple times a year when I feel the need. Everyone I ride with is telling me to stick with my YZ250 because the way I ride I will blow the 250F up in no time. I feel faster on my 2 stroke, I rode a couple of 250F's this past weekend and a 450F. I can ride the 2 stroke much better, but if I learn to ride the 250F I think I might be able to be a little bit faster and last longer. I think I am going to just stick with my 2 smoker, besides you can't beat the sound of a 2 smoker on the track. :thumbsup: Maybe I'll have to sell one of the kids and get a 250F and keep the 2 smoker. :usa: Kidding of course, I'll sell the wife. LOL.

(Kidding of course, I'll sell the wife. LOL.) You will never get enough money off the sale of a wife to get a new 250f, you may have to go used. Seriously, if you are still attached to your 2t, don't get rid of it. Although I love the handling and predictability of my yz250f, there are things about my old 250 smoker that I still miss. Tim

Thanks, you all have valid points. I ride every weekend and race a couple times a year when I feel the need. Everyone I ride with is telling me to stick with my YZ250 because the way I ride I will blow the 250F up in no time. I feel faster on my 2 stroke, I rode a couple of 250F's this past weekend and a 450F. I can ride the 2 stroke much better, but if I learn to ride the 250F I think I might be able to be a little bit faster and last longer. I think I am going to just stick with my 2 smoker, besides you can't beat the sound of a 2 smoker on the track. :thumbsup: Maybe I'll have to sell one of the kids and get a 250F and keep the 2 smoker. :usa: Kidding of course, I'll sell the wife. LOL.

Stick to the YZ250. The 250F is a dog compared to it. I wish I had bought a 09 YZ250 instead of going with my 250F. In the past year I have owned every size bike (450, 250, 250F and 125) I have the best times on 2 strokes and they are so dang simple to maintain.

Stick to the YZ250. The 250F is a dog compared to it. I wish I had bought a 09 YZ250 instead of going with my 250F. In the past year I have owned every size bike (450, 250, 250F and 125) I have the best times on 2 strokes and they are so dang simple to maintain.

I know, it is very easy to put a top end in it and it's cheap. There is still that little thing in my head saying to get the 250F. I think what I'm going to do is keep my smoker and buy a used 250F after I sell the wife. LMAO. If i can pick up a 250F for cheap I think that's what I'm going to do, that way when I blow the 250F up I'll still have something to ride.

IMO, it all boils down to what your strengths and weaknesses are. My strengths are cornering and line choice. A 250f really enhances my strengths. My weaknesses are pulling the trigger wfo till next turn then hard braking into corner in the main inside line. I simply don't have the stamina for that (at least not for long). that is the 2t's strength.

Recognize your strengths and weaknesses and own a bike that compliments you.