Sign in to follow this  

CRF450R Crossplane Crankshaft

Ron Hamp, can you whip one of these up for me please?

Interesting explanation of the crossplane crankshaft being used in the 09 R1. Hopefully some of you will enjoy it as well. Will this have an application in our single-cylinder CRF?

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/products/motorcycles/supersport/yzf-r1.jsp?view=explorer&subview=video&source=oysbps7m

Interesting explanation of the crossplane crankshaft being used in the 09 R1. Hopefully some of you will enjoy it as well. Will this have an application in our single-cylinder CRF?

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/products/motorcycles/supersport/yzf-r1.jsp?view=explorer&subview=video&source=oysbps7m

Unless you add a couple cylinders....no.

It works be firing (you must know) every 90 degrees as oppossed to normally every 180.

less strong power pulses...but more frequent ones.

A single fires every 360 and can only fire every 360!

The cross-plane (because the crank pins are arranged like a cross when looked at from the end) is for an inline 4 engine only. A single cylinder needs only one crank pin.

Unless you add a couple cylinders....no.

It works be firing (you must know) every 90 degrees as oppossed to normally every 180.

less strong power pulses...but more frequent ones.

A single fires every 360 and can only fire every 360!

Thanks for making me feel like an idiot! lol. Seriously thanks for the reply!

Anything beyond changing the top-end or checking the valves is voodoo to me.

The only way I can see that helping is if you put a 4 cylinder motor in the 450...the 'cross plane' has to do with the timing between cylinders.

Thanks for making me feel like an idiot! lol. Seriously thanks for the reply!

Anything beyond changing the top-end or checking the valves is voodoo to me.

If the ama opened it up to multi cylinder motors...MAYBE would see something.

BUT, it would probably get too wide without using a V configuration which would not allow the crank either.

I would kill to see a twin two stroke 125 (250 cc bike).

You could easily make 50hp with a better torque curve than any stock 450!

Wouldn't make 60 with as good a torque spread..but it wouldn't struggle to make that either.

I have to guess dirt track is 4 stroke only???? Otherwise a two stroke makes sense for it...

The cross-plane (because the crank pins are arranged like a cross when looked at from the end) is for an inline 4 engine only. A single cylinder needs only one crank pin.

The cross plane arrangement is the same crankshaft design that most V8 engines use also. That was a cool video, really shows how much effort they put into developing and improving on those bikes.