Sign in to follow this  

KTM Experts (once again!!)

Hey guys-

Need recommended oil height for 2004 250sx......thanks in advance!:)

Adam

I would start with about 110 dump or 135 no dump depending on rider and what the bike is being used for. Its easier to add than remove. Good to measure the level before removing the old oil and see what complaints/issues the rider had and fine tune the levels from there. Generally I don't like to run less than this other than for a novice thats not really jumping.

Bare in mind the rider might not use all the stroke due to the over restrictive bottoming cones if he is not jumping, even though it might feel like it when they lock and lowering the oil level is not always the way to get more travel used on these bikes. Often these older bikes are used for off road use mainly.

It those forks have 3 bushings, make sure you remove the middle one and the spacer.

I would start with about 110 dump or 135 no dump depending on rider and what the bike is being used for.

Sorry roo, but not sure what you mean by "dump"? And, unfortunately, these forks were leaking really bad, so there wasn't any real point trying to measure how much was in there. This is an "extra" bike for the customer, so I'll just go back close to stock- replacing all bushings, seals, etc.

If those forks have 3 bushings, make sure you remove the middle one and the spacer.

Yes, they do- funny how much more oil comes pouring out of them once removed...kinda made a mess:foul:

Ferg

Sorry roo, but not sure what you mean by "dump"? And, unfortunately, these forks were leaking really bad, so there wasn't any real point trying to measure how much was in there. This is an "extra" bike for the customer, so I'll just go back close to stock- replacing all bushings, seals, etc.

Yes, they do- funny how much more oil comes pouring out of them once removed...kinda made a mess:foul:

Ferg

Some over fill the inner fork leg (lower) allowing fluid to enter the outer tube.

So to get the first number Roo mentioned you need to pull the outer tube up dumping the outer fluid into the inner fork tube..

The thing here is to be consistant with you methods..

Also do not allow oil into the damping rod where the reb rod goes. Or you will have a leak at the reb adjuster.

I do coat the reb rod with lube.

Some over fill the inner fork leg (lower) allowing fluid to enter the outer tube.

So to get the first number Roo mentioned you need to pull the outer tube up dumping the outer fluid into the inner fork tube..

The thing here is to be consistant with you methods..

Also do not allow oil into the damping rod where the reb rod goes. Or you will have a leak at the reb adjuster.

I do coat the reb rod with lube.

Ok, thanks Russ-

I have always done it "without dump" in the past...just don't do alot of the KTM's, so I don't have anything to refer to for oil heights...

Good to know about no fill on the damper rod....thought it was odd without the fluid coming up through there, but obviously it is right!

Ferg

Worth removing the rebound needle and spring and checking the condition as they often seize/rust up. Put the end into a rag against a backing surface and blow out with a rubber tip air gun. Be careful they come out like a bullet! Don't use your hand lol!

Worth removing the rebound needle and spring and checking the condition as they often seize/rust up. Put the end into a rag against a backing surface and blow out with a rubber tip air gun. Be careful they come out like a bullet! Don't use your hand lol!

Another great tip, roo- thanks!:thumbsup:

Worth removing the rebound needle and spring and checking the condition as they often seize/rust up.

talking about soemthing like this, Roo?

51999718.jpg

if needle/spring look like this then usually there's pretty much debris in the rebound holder as well, beeing worth being removed

seems strange a oc fork would have that much much in the middle of it?

This is what I like about TT. Most of us are busy and don't have the time to get into a bunch of details. it seems everyone contributes or adds to the subject at hand.

With that said. I would like to that all of you for your years on contributions

what about after a complete rebuild, how many cc's or just fill to the right level. what level for mx only again?

120mm:thumbsup:

Hmmm....we have some different opinions here. I went with the 135 measurement from roo, no dump....why 120?

Adam