Sign in to follow this  

Neck Brace threads frustrating me!

99% of the info is lame and clouds this important decision making it difficult for me to decide: one if I want a brace, and 2 what one.

Some random poster that says this or that with no solid evidence is frustrating. Most of the info is as solid as "favorite oil threads". Unbiased scientific information is hard to find. Very very very little solid information is available on the sucess of these products on thumpertalk or anyplace! The subject is also very scary so information comes out of emotion more often than anything scientific.

I am also frustrated that I feel naked without a neck brace. I wish I wanted one becuase of how confident I am about the protection they offer, rather than becuase everyone else has one. Talking about a marketing sucess (maybee good, maybee null), suddently about 90% of the people on a starting line have one. This is getting to me, I really think I need one too, based on emotion rather than any scientific knowledge I have, it simply plays into my fears that if everybody has one why shouldn't I have one too. I also know that the most everybody else probably got one for emotional reasons.

The argument that "well whats the price of your neck/back", or "it should be part of your saftey gear like boots and a helmet" actually say's nothing.

With all that said I plan on purchasing a neck brace. That decision is based on a "why not" emotion. Scientifically I dont think they will cause more major damage in a crash, however they could help. From all my research I think the leatt is probably the best at preventing major neck injury, however probably my last choice becuase I don't like the concept of transfering energy into my head, collar bone, and lower spine even in a minor crash. I think both the RC Evol and A-Star concept of allowing more natual neck movement will be less intrusive in a minor crash, and still offer protection agenst a major accident.

So please help if you have scientific information on these products.

I don't exactly have scientific information, but I recently got a brace myself.

Before I bought it, I rode with a friend's that I had set up for me on a few different occasions. I'd go out and ride a couple laps, and come back in to make changes until it was the way I wanted it (and then wrote some notes down for reference). Without proper set up, especially when it wouldn't let me move my head somewhat normally, I felt more unsafe with it than not wearing a brace at all. However, when I did get it set up for me and rode a few more laps, I begun getting comfortable with it, and feeling safer wearing the brace. After a while, I stopped really noticing the brace. When I finally was able to get my own a couple weeks ago, I basically did the same to get it set up the way I need it. Fortunately I haven't "crash tested" it yet (knock on wood), but I have confidence in the brace. The fact that the majority of riders using neck braces did not influence my decision to purchase the brace, but it did play a small part in me taking a look at them to see if I liked it before buying. I also talked it over with my mom and showed her the various offerings currently out. She's not an orthopedist, but she's a family doctor and I felt like she could offer some insight on it.

the best way to know if and wich is to just go out and try to ride with the options you are considering

Instead of typing another book, use your time to order a Leatt and call it done. :thumbsup:

i agree, i wasnt sure about the leatt but i just decided to go for it. Now i dont ride without it. dont hesitate dude just buy it im sure youre gonna like it

99% of the info is lame and clouds this important decision making it difficult for me to decide: one if I want a brace, and 2 what one.

Some random poster that says this or that with no solid evidence is frustrating. Most of the info is as solid as "favorite oil threads". Unbiased scientific information is hard to find. Very very very little solid information is available on the sucess of these products on thumpertalk or anyplace! The subject is also very scary so information comes out of emotion more often than anything scientific.

I am also frustrated that I feel naked without a neck brace. I wish I wanted one becuase of how confident I am about the protection they offer, rather than becuase everyone else has one. Talking about a marketing sucess (maybee good, maybee null), suddently about 90% of the people on a starting line have one. This is getting to me, I really think I need one too, based on emotion rather than any scientific knowledge I have, it simply plays into my fears that if everybody has one why shouldn't I have one too. I also know that the most everybody else probably got one for emotional reasons.

The argument that "well whats the price of your neck/back", or "it should be part of your saftey gear like boots and a helmet" actually say's nothing.

With all that said I plan on purchasing a neck brace. That decision is based on a "why not" emotion. Scientifically I dont think they will cause more major damage in a crash, however they could help. From all my research I think the leatt is probably the best at preventing major neck injury, however probably my last choice becuase I don't like the concept of transfering energy into my head, collar bone, and lower spine even in a minor crash. I think both the RC Evol and A-Star concept of allowing more natual neck movement will be less intrusive in a minor crash, and still offer protection agenst a major accident.

So please help if you have scientific information on these products.

All right, I'm going to put my 2 cents worth in.

For the record, I am a Leatt brace owner. I bought mine when the Leatt was the only game in town aside from foam neck rolls.

I think that wearing a neck brace, of whatever brand, is better than wearing none at all. I go with the philosophy that "if the safety gear is made for the sport, then I wear it when I participate".

The A-star and EVS braces go with the theory that absorbing the force is the way to go (think crumple zones on a modern car). The brace will collapse to absorb the force that would otherwise be transferred to the neck, which force can potentially cause serious or fatal injury.

Leatt braces operate on the theory that it is better to redirect the force to areas not quite so critical. This means that the Leatt brace isn't designed to collapse, but to stay intact and transfer the force to non-critical areas, such as collarbones. BTW, a properly fitted Leatt brace doesn't rest on the collarbone, so the collarbone isn't a direct recipient of the impact force.

In my humble opinion, which is in no way backed up by scientific numbers or testing (that I can find), it is better to redirect the impact force away from the critical area ie: the neck vertebrae. The A-star and EVS braces are designed to collapse, meaning that an impact force that exceeds the brace's absorption capability will be transferred to the critical area. Leatt braces, being designed to redirect impact forces, will not collapse (except under extreme conditions, when it's likely that no brace would help), but will instead remain intact and transfer the impact force to a less critical area.

When Dr. Chris Leatt (inventor of the Leatt brace) did his research, what he found was that most motorcycle crashes involving neck injuries resulted in compression of the neck vertebrae, which can and does injure the spinal cord to the point of total paralysis, which can, and frequently does, result in death. The Leatt brace is designed to prevent the paralysis which can result when the wearer becomes a human yard dart, that is to say, the wearer crashes headfirst into the ground without being able to break the fall.

Before I bought my Leatt, I did research what was available, and whether it was worth it (as I've ridden 30+ years without a neck injury). I decided that, for $450 CDN, it was worth it to protect my neck. BTW, it also does a great job of protecting my neck from roost.

All the braces on the market today have their good and bad points. For my money and neck, the Leatt is the way to go.

That said, any brace is better than none.

We participate in a risk(y) sport. IMHO, any safety gear that comes out, should be worn by everyone.

Thanks for reading. Now go twist that throttle!!!!:thumbsup:

• Like 1

To me, the leatt brace was more comfortable than the EVS RC evolution, I have never tried on the A-stars brace though.

Bottom line is- you will be safer with a neck brace than without one, just try one on and see how you like them, but don't cheap out on protection.

I never ride without my leatt.

I am undergoing the same psychological stress you are about this.

I have been riding for 13 yrs without a neck injuring. However, end of last year my bike ran out of gas over a steep jump launching me in a front flip with the bike and it landed on me on the back side of the double. It fractured and dislocated my hip. I could have easily broke my neck.

That being said, I have been trolling the internet for answers.

I tried on the EVS. There is almost no adjustment (except neck roll thickness). I felt trapped especially with a chest protector which I refuse to go without.

I could not move. This was in the store. I can't image being hot and sweaty trying to flow with the bike on the track.

I also took a look at the Leatt Adventure. Price point is reasonable. It was much more comfortable. My worry was breaking my collarbone in a minor crash as many have stated.

If they can be properly fitted to rest more on the sternum than that would seem better to me.

Not to deviate, but I go through the same thoughts with knee braces. I believe you can come out of a crash better with no knee brace if you have strong stable limber joints. People think that breaking bones is better. I disagree. Especially femurs. Bones don't always heal or heal properly.

Anyway, if more riders can confirm the Leatt Adventure, when properly setup, is not meant to break the collarbone I may get that one.

Instead of typing another book, use your time to order a Leatt and call it done.

lmao, are you in sales? that sounds like "why think about buying this more expensive car? how about we just sign the paperwork now."

to the OP i know what you mean with the braces. theres no statistical data that is compiled, concerning either its actual ability to prevent spinal injury, or it causing injuries. instead there seems to be a lot of emotional fear based buying. suddenly were all petrified about neck injuries, something that a couple years ago we didnt even think about. now were all terrified that if we dont get a brace were going to break our necks.

i see it kind of like this. flying on an airplane is very, very safe, we all know this. however if for a year straight we all talked about every plane crash that has ever happened, and about how bad it is to be in a plane crash. eventually you would start to be nervous about flying in a plane. planes arent suddenly more dangerous, its just your perception has just changed. your not suddenly more likely to hurt your neck, youve just been told continually what if, what if, what if. do what logically makes sense to you. if you feel like your buying a brace just because of pressure to be like everyone else, then dont. thats a lot of coin just to look like the guy next to you.

For some information, pick up the April edition of Transworld Motocross. They have an article describing the three major neck braces (neck rolls are not considered protective equipment in this conversation). It is NOT a comparison, rather describes the manner in which each brace is designed to work and protect your neck. That might help your decision process.

All right, I'm going to put my 2 cents worth in.

For the record, I am a Leatt brace owner. I bought mine when the Leatt was the only game in town aside from foam neck rolls.

I think that wearing a neck brace, of whatever brand, is better than wearing none at all. I go with the philosophy that "if the safety gear is made for the sport, then I wear it when I participate".

The A-star and EVS braces go with the theory that absorbing the force is the way to go (think crumple zones on a modern car). The brace will collapse to absorb the force that would otherwise be transferred to the neck, which force can potentially cause serious or fatal injury.

Leatt braces operate on the theory that it is better to redirect the force to areas not quite so critical. This means that the Leatt brace isn't designed to collapse, but to stay intact and transfer the force to non-critical areas, such as collarbones. BTW, a properly fitted Leatt brace doesn't rest on the collarbone, so the collarbone isn't a direct recipient of the impact force.

In my humble opinion, which is in no way backed up by scientific numbers or testing (that I can find), it is better to redirect the impact force away from the critical area ie: the neck vertebrae. The A-star and EVS braces are designed to collapse, meaning that an impact force that exceeds the brace's absorption capability will be transferred to the critical area. Leatt braces, being designed to redirect impact forces, will not collapse (except under extreme conditions, when it's likely that no brace would help), but will instead remain intact and transfer the impact force to a less critical area.

When Dr. Chris Leatt (inventor of the Leatt brace) did his research, what he found was that most motorcycle crashes involving neck injuries resulted in compression of the neck vertebrae, which can and does injure the spinal cord to the point of total paralysis, which can, and frequently does, result in death. The Leatt brace is designed to prevent the paralysis which can result when the wearer becomes a human yard dart, that is to say, the wearer crashes headfirst into the ground without being able to break the fall.

Before I bought my Leatt, I did research what was available, and whether it was worth it (as I've ridden 30+ years without a neck injury). I decided that, for $450 CDN, it was worth it to protect my neck. BTW, it also does a great job of protecting my neck from roost.

All the braces on the market today have their good and bad points. For my money and neck, the Leatt is the way to go.

That said, any brace is better than none.

We participate in a risk(y) sport. IMHO, any safety gear that comes out, should be worn by everyone.

Thanks for reading. Now go twist that throttle!!!!:thumbsup:

Great post. That being said I would say the same for knee braces. Its better to have a set than not regardless of what brand you go with. :usa:

try to land head first while your' at it

Almost fell out of my chair laughing at your post and the one above yours. :thumbsup::usa: