Sign in to follow this  

98 kx250 cylinder repair options

I'm looking at a 98 kx250 that seized. I have not seen it yet but the owner says the cylinder is scored. What are my options? Can I have it bored oversize and fit an oversize piston? Do I need to have it replated? I'm not going to race, just trail and woods riding.

Thanks

Dave Cover

KX or KLX? Doesn't matter. Either can be sleeved or the plating can be removed, the scoring welded and the cylinder cleaned up and replated, stock or oversize. You can't just bore it and install a larger piston.

• Like 1

the piston skirt broke on my kx. needed a new piston and it scratched up the sleeve in a major way. also something to watch on those bikes, the crank case seals develop a leak and they 'suck' in transmission oil into the combustion chamber, causing them to smoke a great deal.(don't let them talk you into the addage of 'kawasakis smoke alot') a dealer, or mechanic with specalized tools will have to split the case and replace the seals as you can't ride it like that. How do i know? i bought one of those piles of junk and found out the hard way. is about a $400 job. if i were you plan on getting it done, so pay next to nothing for your bike. Only way i came out clean on the situation is that i paid only $500 for the bike.

but its a great woods bike once you handle all the issues.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. That means it will take longer to get this bike running and might be easier to find a different bike. It's a busy time of year to have cylinders replated.

Dave Cover

This ones already apart. I haven't seen it yet, just going by the description in the emails. I figure I'll have to put some into it, but I'm trying to see what else needs replacing. I know I have to replace or repair the cylinder, and I plan on replacing all the bearings, seals and gaskets. I don't know how the cases, crank, water pump, oil pump, etc. are. It could easily get expensive.

My last Kawasaki was a 1972 H2 750, so I'm used to the smoke.

Dave Cover