Sign in to follow this  

Flatland Radiator Guards

I wanted to give my props to Flatland Racing for their radiator guards. Tuff as nails!

Last weekend I basically fell out of the sky at the track! I did a jump that was cut out a bit, and in one particular area turned into a kicker jump. I hit it faster that lap than I ever had before and it completely threw my bike sideways! Yikes! Ended up needing stitches, etc...

But my radiators survived! They are just slightly bent in on both sides, one more so than the other. Without them though I think they would have been far worse off.

Anyway, just wanted to share in case anyone's in the market for radiator guards.

Ride safe! :)

That's a bummer.

I have a different skid plate, so I can't offer a 2nd opinion on those.

Glad you found a work-around.

Yeah Flatlands are nice ....

TIP: Put some 3M plastic (or other brand) to help deflect air from the VOID that exists between the side of the brace to the edge of the shroud (ironically where most air is being pulled in).

**In the pic below, I have also mounted the plastic deflectors (zip-tied) to the outside of the Flatland guards, but you can get an idea where this VOID or pocket exists (you can see it in the second pic .. air channels in here and gets trapped between the guard and the shroud).

You might as well be sending it through your rads than into nothing :thumbsup:

P1010842.jpg

P1010843.jpg

i damaged my radiator a few weeks ago, we bent it back so it fits alright but like 2 rows of the fins are kinda messed up, not enough to effect anything.

Yeah Flatlands are nice ....

TIP: Put some 3M plastic (or other brand) to help deflect air from the VOID that exists between the side of the brace to the edge of the shroud (ironically where most air is being pulled in).

**In the pic below, I have also mounted the plastic deflectors (zip-tied) to the outside of the Flatland guards, but you can get an idea where this VOID or pocket exists (you can see it in the second pic .. air channels in here and gets trapped between the guard and the shroud).

You might as well be sending it through your rads than into nothing :thumbsup:

P1010842.jpg

P1010843.jpg

Thanks for the info Supervokes! I will look at doing that.

Mohard racing mohardracing.com

has retooled and lowerd the price.

check out these guards

Mohard racing mohardracing.com

has retooled and lowerd the price.

check out these guards

lowerd the price at $200 that pettey high vs the one from flatland racing

the skid plate suxs. cant get the oil filter out, i had to shave it down to make room for ease.

Yup that what I hear you should take look at Moose skid plate

Yup that what I hear you should take look at Moose skid plate

All you need to do with the Flatland skid plate is clamp on a set of vice grips and bend the wings out just slightly. That way you can remove the oil filter without removing the plate.

Did it both to my wifes 150R and my own 450R ... takes 10 seconds and works like a charm :thumbsup:

** Just put an old rag or somthing between the vice grips and the skiplate so you don't mark it up.