08 505 SXF setup, tip, tricks???

well i got a call today and it is confirmed i am getting an 08 demo 505sx. i am happy this is my first orange since my 03 300exc that i loved

for those guys that have this bike is there any problems or anything that i should know about??

what set up tricks are there for the jetting?? i hear some of these are fussy but once jetted are amazing motors. i was thinking a jd jet kit, r and d float bowl and a leak jet maybe to get it set up. any other info is greatly appreciated

the susp i will be getting revalved for sure

thanks in advance

H

hey mate, good to hear about the new wheels, got one my self and i must say you wont be dissapointed, good choice, i have ordered a jd jet kit abd will have it in in a few days will let you know how it goes, i have done nothing except fot a 50tooth rear instead of 48 and higher bend bars, i love it

Congrats. Hey how much more power does the 505 put out over the 450 if you know? I was in a KTM dealership today and I am still trying to figure out which KTM to get so any info I can pick up would be great. Please post your ride review when you get a chance and enjoy!

yes please do lmk. what made you go with the 50 tooth?? was the 48 to wide open??

hey mate, good to hear about the new wheels, got one my self and i must say you wont be dissapointed, good choice, i have ordered a jd jet kit abd will have it in in a few days will let you know how it goes, i have done nothing except fot a 50tooth rear instead of 48 and higher bend bars, i love it

i haven't rode one yet but from wht i am told the little extra cc feels like 200cc extra on the track but smooth usable power. just what i wanted. most guys on here love there 505's so it helped me make my choice.

Congrats. Hey how much more power does the 505 put out over the 450 if you know? I was in a KTM dealership today and I am still trying to figure out which KTM to get so any info I can pick up would be great. Please post your ride review when you get a chance and enjoy!

I mostly moto my 505 sx-f but do trail ride as well. I run a 51 tooth rear and find it's the ticket. 50 tooth was a little sluggish in the corners and 52 tooth was too much and slower top end. I also have the jd kit but I run the needle on the 4th from the top and not the 5th as advised by the kit. I find it has better cold starting caracteristics. I also run the power bowl ay the #20 jet setting which I find best. I also installed an RG3 upper triple clamp from an 05 with a shim to fit the the centre stock and a set of pro taper, doug henry bend which I find don't give me the arm and hand pump like the stock bars do. I intend to get the ohlins ttx cartridge for the forks and shock as I find it rather harsh in the front. Overall, very satisfied with the 505. I think it's the best bike I've ever owned, and I've owned alot of them being 50 years young and started racing in 1965. I know, ur only as old as u feel !!!!!

well i got a call today and it is confirmed i am getting an 08 demo 505sx. i am happy this is my first orange since my 03 300exc that i loved

for those guys that have this bike is there any problems or anything that i should know about??

what set up tricks are there for the jetting?? i hear some of these are fussy but once jetted are amazing motors. i was thinking a jd jet kit, r and d float bowl and a leak jet maybe to get it set up. any other info is greatly appreciated

the susp i will be getting revalved for sure

thanks in advance

H

Here are a few set-up goodies that you might want to consider:

Skid Plate

Hand Guards

JD Jet Kit

Fuel Mixture Screw

Dual Map switch

Shock Spring-to get proper sag

Hour Meter

Pipe Guard

Frame Protectors

Clutch cylinder protector /case saver

Battery Tender

Bar Pad

Spare Air filter / Cage

Air Box cover for washing

Radiator Braces

Iridium Spark Plug

Bar Risers

Fork Bleeders

Cam Chain Tensioner (Dirt tricks)

Soft seat

R&D Powerpump 2

plus 8 oz Flywheel

if you've got any money left after all of that,... well maybe you can buy some stickers ! ?

Enjoy the new Ride

Welcome to the 505 club !

yes please do lmk. what made you go with the 50 tooth?? was the 48 to wide open??

50 tooth wasn't really that great for the slippery slimy rocky hills that we always seem to encounter here in oz, 50 is good for faster trails but 48 is wicked for a bit lower down torque and it doesn't seem to stall out as much, yeah i have the fork bleeders and a b&b bash plate also, i would never ride with it. i was running bark buster but a friend of mine went over the bars on his bike and got his arm caught in one and snapped his wrist, which isn't cool so i dont run them anymore.

i have the ohlins ttx in my honda, trust me you will love it!!

thank you for the tips

I mostly moto my 505 sx-f but do trail ride as well. I run a 51 tooth rear and find it's the ticket. 50 tooth was a little sluggish in the corners and 52 tooth was too much and slower top end. I also have the jd kit but I run the needle on the 4th from the top and not the 5th as advised by the kit. I find it has better cold starting caracteristics. I also run the power bowl ay the #20 jet setting which I find best. I also installed an RG3 upper triple clamp from an 05 with a shim to fit the the centre stock and a set of pro taper, doug henry bend which I find don't give me the arm and hand pump like the stock bars do. I intend to get the ohlins ttx cartridge for the forks and shock as I find it rather harsh in the front. Overall, very satisfied with the 505. I think it's the best bike I've ever owned, and I've owned alot of them being 50 years young and started racing in 1965. I know, ur only as old as u feel !!!!!

nice, thanks for the set up tip list ?

Here are a few set-up goodies that you might want to consider:

Skid Plate

Hand Guards

JD Jet Kit

Fuel Mixture Screw

Dual Map switch

Shock Spring-to get proper sag

Hour Meter

Pipe Guard

Frame Protectors

Clutch cylinder protector /case saver

Battery Tender

Bar Pad

Spare Air filter / Cage

Air Box cover for washing

Radiator Braces

Iridium Spark Plug

Bar Risers

Fork Bleeders

Cam Chain Tensioner (Dirt tricks)

Soft seat

R&D Powerpump 2

plus 8 oz Flywheel

if you've got any money left after all of that,... well maybe you can buy some stickers ! :usa:

Enjoy the new Ride

Welcome to the 505 club !

so i take it the 48 was the stock gearing right?? you think for MX it is just to tall?? i see most guyst are going btw 50 and 52 rear to tighten it up

50 tooth wasn't really that great for the slippery slimy rocky hills that we always seem to encounter here in oz, 50 is good for faster trails but 48 is wicked for a bit lower down torque and it doesn't seem to stall out as much, yeah i have the fork bleeders and a b&b bash plate also, i would never ride with it. i was running bark buster but a friend of mine went over the bars on his bike and got his arm caught in one and snapped his wrist, which isn't cool so i dont run them anymore.

so i take it the 48 was the stock gearing right?? you think for MX it is just to tall?? i see most guyst are going btw 50 and 52 rear to tighten it up[/quote

yeah i found it to be a bit too tall, geared down has really good punch out of corners, 52 would be pretty crazy i cant imagine first gear would get used much, yeah 48 is stock gearing, im very happy with 50 tooth.

I run a 52 tooth in tight singletrack and it's great. But singletrack means different things to different people. I still have a good top speed and 1-2 shifting doesn't seem to busy since 1st is so tall on these bikes. It really depends on what terrain you are riding. It's hard to pick a gear ratio on the internet.

The CR9EIX plug fixes two things.

For starters it makes the bike start and run better. Why KTM spec'd the low tech fat tipped stock plug (with twin electrodes) is beyond me.

The second thing it does is give you piece of mind. Lots of guys end up chasing the jetting all over the map on the 450/505 SXF. A lot of the times, the jetting is really not at fault. The 450/505 motor has so much cylinder pressure that it will actually BEND the electrodes and tip of the stock plug which causes erratic running at low rpm level (thus chasing the pilot and fuel screw if you think it is jetting). F2 Racing (when they were still in business) had a video explanation of it on their website showing a damaged plug. I would normally figure that may have been a little exageration, but when I pulled the stock plug out of my 505 you could visibly see the tip was off center.

Congrats on the demo purchase. Was it just a dealer demo, or was your bike part of the KTM factory demo Reconditioned program? The re-con program is a great value IMO (that is where my 505 came from last year).

awesome info!! thank you. i assume the plug you mention is an irdium one?? this may save me having to get the R&D float and all there other stuff. just may get this plug and a jd jet kit for now and see how it goes

yeah this was the ktm re cond program and it qualified for the parts package there offering on the new 08 and 09 models so that was a big plus as well. when you factor the price of the bike the warranty and the 1500 worth of stuff it was a no brainer. plus there was 2 one in oh and one in CA and i did a little reasearch and the one in oh was used less. it was used by a factory ktm mechanic to ride back and forth to the pits and back during some races where the one in cali was used for a shootout so figured the one in oh was beat on less. i know ktm goes through them and would be stupid to send off a bad one hence they would pay for a new motor in the event it blew but chose the mechanic one anyway lol

thanks again for the spark plug info very interesting

The CR9EIX plug fixes two things.

For starters it makes the bike start and run better. Why KTM spec'd the low tech fat tipped stock plug (with twin electrodes) is beyond me.

The second thing it does is give you piece of mind. Lots of guys end up chasing the jetting all over the map on the 450/505 SXF. A lot of the times, the jetting is really not at fault. The 450/505 motor has so much cylinder pressure that it will actually BEND the electrodes and tip of the stock plug which causes erratic running at low rpm level (thus chasing the pilot and fuel screw if you think it is jetting). F2 Racing (when they were still in business) had a video explanation of it on their website showing a damaged plug. I would normally figure that may have been a little exageration, but when I pulled the stock plug out of my 505 you could visibly see the tip was off center.

Congrats on the demo purchase. Was it just a dealer demo, or was your bike part of the KTM factory demo Reconditioned program? The re-con program is a great value IMO (that is where my 505 came from last year).

awesome info!! thank you. i assume the plug you mention is an irdium one?? this may save me having to get the R&D float and all there other stuff. just may get this plug and a jd jet kit for now and see how it goes

yeah this was the ktm re cond program and it qualified for the parts package there offering on the new 08 and 09 models so that was a big plus as well. when you factor the price of the bike the warranty and the 1500 worth of stuff it was a no brainer. plus there was 2 one in oh and one in CA and i did a little reasearch and the one in oh was used less. it was used by a factory ktm mechanic to ride back and forth to the pits and back during some races where the one in cali was used for a shootout so figured the one in oh was beat on less. i know ktm goes through them and would be stupid to send off a bad one hence they would pay for a new motor in the event it blew but chose the mechanic one anyway lol

thanks again for the spark plug info very interesting

The re-con program is a great deal. My 505 was Kurt Nicoll's "practice" bike. Before they shipped it to me the factory sumo mechanics went through it from nose to tail, so all was good. I am almost happier in knowing that it was gone through like that than if I had just gotten a new one out of the crate! It also came with a few extra bonus parts (such as armor and Renthal Twin-Wall bars).