Ballinger - worth driving to ?

A group of us are thinking about trying Ballinger this weekend and was looking for opinions if it's worth driving to. Want to try someplace new, but haven't been able to find many posts about Ballinger. Checked the "places to ride" area, but most of the info is very general.

Any info and/or opinions are appreciated !

IMHO, Ballinger is worth the drive, at least once. It is not a highly challenging park, but it is still very fun. Lots of terrain change, from sketchy side-of-the-hill single track to winding sand washes. It looks very 'fresh' too, with almost no whoop fields anywhere. It's the place I go when I take out a new rider, as there are lots of easy trails.

Ballinger is sweet. I live in Bakersfield so it's pretty close and we try to go at least 3 times a year.

Just went 2 weeks ago and went on a nice 50 mile ride. There's some great trails and compared to other places it's never really busy.

Where are you coming from

IMHO, Ballinger is worth the drive, at least once. It is not a highly challenging park, but it is still very fun. Lots of terrain change, from sketchy side-of-the-hill single track to winding sand washes. It looks very 'fresh' too, with almost no whoop fields anywhere. It's the place I go when I take out a new rider, as there are lots of easy trails.

Oh man I guess you haven't been through the whole place. There are some knarly sand whoops on a certain section of trails...lol

Oh man I guess you haven't been through the whole place. There are some knarly sand whoops on a certain section of trails...lol

Thats what i was thinking.. I was just there a month ago or so. Kinda sucked because it rained, but not a bad lil place.

From Bakersfield, me too. Lets hook up for some rides. We'll be hitting up the Greenhorns/Keysville area again soon im sure. If you like rocky rutted out trails, hill climbs, and nice singletrack hit me up. Ill also be up at LPNF when it opens up.

Make sure you have a current National Forest Adventure Pass, green stickers, spark arrestors and have the bike registrations handy. The rangers will pay you a call and check.

Have fun, we enjoy the place quite often. 👍

isnt this a State OHV park? I thot it was and didnt know you had to have an adventure pass for in a park??

I believe its part of the LPNF. When you are entering the park it has a sign saying your now entering the The National forest.

It is definitely worth the drive! You are not that far at all, go up the 5 and either cut across Lockwood valley or the 166 to the 33. Going up the 33 from Ventura is a nicer drive but a little far for you. I was just there last weekend, quite a few people camping but hardly anyone riding as usual. We didn't pass anyone out on the trails, but that usually happens when you stay off the main trails and ride the good ones. As for the adventure pass I've only had it one time and have never been cited the many other times I didn't like last weekend. Who wouldn't want to ride trail 29??

This first picture isn't actually part of 29 but I ride it anyway:busted: If you look at the second pic, the first pic is the last part of the ridge (the higher part) that is past the canyon you are supposed to go down for 29

unmarked_endof29.jpg

29_3.jpg

Hmm, I don't remember any whoop sections more than 10 seconds long.

Cool.

Trail 40/46 is all sand and whoops. The whoops start just west of the 53 intersection and end near the far western intesection of 36. Trail 36 is not as bad. See map below:

My favorite in Trail 22 (Mud Canyon):

Trail #14:

Trail #29 Part 1:

Trail #29 Part 2:

Trail #12:

ballinger.jpg

If you are at Ballinger, by going further out 166, you might try Rock Front Ranch. You could make it a stop before or after riding Ballinger.

We rode it last Sunday and had a blast. It's not huge, but if the conditions are as good as we had, it's really fun.

Green sticker and Sparky is a must. The Adventure pass is not that big a deal in my expierence,

Skoot is right!

The Adventure Pass is good in multiple areas. There is a little country store on the left side of the road about 5 minutes before your turn in to the park. They will even give you a map! And the cost is nothing compared to having to pay the fine. :usa: I do not mind pulling cash out of my pocket to fund something that helps to keep our "riding spots" open. 👍

The fine is $5 Thats the cost for the 1 day pass. We had 10+ trucks an TH there a month or so ago. All the ranger cared about was current Registration, and Sparkys. He did not check anyone, or even ask about Adventure Passes. Most people don't even know about em til they get there. The Rangers Should sell them if there that worried about the money IMO. But there not and the fine is the same as a one day pass as i mentioned. 👍