Questions for Gas Gas owners???

Not again...:confused:

It sucks that you had those problems with your gasser, but to come back and bash GasGas again with those comments isn't helping with your posts credibility. Nearly every GasGas rider who reads that first paragraph is going to laugh and very few will agree.

jayc, maybe someday you'll give GasGas another chance with a newer or even bigger bike, you may have a better appreciation for the brand...?

See, I knew this would happen. As soon as somebody says anything bad about GasGas, a bunch of GasGas owners chime in about how the bikes are the best thing on the planet and how the person putting them down obviously has something wrong with them no one should listen to 'the crazy guy' (right out of chapter 1 in the Democrat debate handbook :excuseme: ).

JFTR, and in all honesty, I'm not "bashing" GasGas at all, I'm just giving my opinion, and my opinion regarding reliability has nothing to do with my personal bike, it's based on observations of others (I know a lot of people around the country that ride them). The "unusual understanding of the inside of their engines" line isn't mine - coined by a gasser rider, actually. I'm not saying that they are complete POSes, but no, you're not going to get jap-bike quality and reliability. Sorry. Are they as good or better than the other euro-bike brands? Probably. Are the parts available? Usually. Are parts expensive? Horribly. Just giving honest answers, that's all.

My GasGas was my first non-jap bike - and I can say that I've never had to dig smashed up gears out of a motor before, but I wouldn't form an opinion based on a single occurance. I bought my GG125 AFTER I formed my opinions regarding reliability. However, all of my friends that rode the things were consistantly rabid about how great the bikes rode and turned (you know how GasGas riders are), and my curiosity got the best of me - I just wanted to see what the hubbub was about. I wanted to try out a 125, so I got a GasGas. I can say that I enjoy riding the bike. I don't know if it is as spectacular a turner as everyone says, OTOH, my comparison is a late-model CR125, which probably isn't fair. I can throw it around like a piece of tissue-paper, so I'm not complaining. The hydraulic clutch really IS the best thing on the planet though. It is a nice woods bike, and I really do like riding it.

As far as the bigger bikes go, I've spent a few days on a couple of 300s out west, and I could never get comfortable on them for some reason, even after a whole day - they felt big and top heavy (similar to my old XR400), and felt like they resisted my inputs. I rode both an '02 and an '05, and had the same impression - they just felt really heavy. This still strikes me as odd, since I was instantly comfortable on my 125, which shares similar geometry and is even somewhat similar in weight to the 300.

JayC

See, I knew this would happen. As soon as somebody says anything bad about GasGas, a bunch of GasGas owners chime in about how the bikes are the best thing on the planet and how the person putting them down obviously has something wrong with them no one should listen to 'the crazy guy' (right out of chapter 1 in the Democrat debate handbook ? ).

JFTR, and in all honesty, I'm not "bashing" GasGas at all, I'm just giving my opinion, and my opinion regarding reliability has nothing to do with my personal bike, it's based on observations of others (I know a lot of people around the country that ride them). The "unusual understanding of the inside of their engines" line isn't mine - coined by a gasser rider, actually. I'm not saying that they are complete POSes, but no, you're not going to get jap-bike quality and reliability. Sorry. Are they as good or better than the other euro-bike brands? Probably. Are the parts available? Usually. Are parts expensive? Horribly. Just giving honest answers, that's all.

My GasGas was my first non-jap bike - and I can say that I've never had to dig smashed up gears out of a motor before, but I wouldn't form an opinion based on a single occurance. I bought my GG125 AFTER I formed my opinions regarding reliability. However, all of my friends that rode the things were consistantly rabid about how great the bikes rode and turned (you know how GasGas riders are), and my curiosity got the best of me - I just wanted to see what the hubbub was about. I wanted to try out a 125, so I got a GasGas. I can say that I enjoy riding the bike. I don't know if it is as spectacular a turner as everyone says, OTOH, my comparison is a late-model CR125, which probably isn't fair. I can throw it around like a piece of tissue-paper, so I'm not complaining. The hydraulic clutch really IS the best thing on the planet though. It is a nice woods bike, and I really do like riding it.

As far as the bigger bikes go, I've spent a few days on a couple of 300s out west, and I could never get comfortable on them for some reason, even after a whole day - they felt big and top heavy (similar to my old XR400), and felt like they resisted my inputs. I rode both an '02 and an '05, and had the same impression - they just felt really heavy. This still strikes me as odd, since I was instantly comfortable on my 125, which shares similar geometry and is even somewhat similar in weight to the 300.

JayC

I can totaly appreciate a honest oppinion, so rant away.

I still have my 03 CR 250 set up for woods (love this bike) and I plan to keep it!

I didn't expect all warm fuzzys about the GG and that's ok, I lived 90% of my life on Hondas I want to try something different, I'm getting a killer deal on a new 08 GG so I couldn't pass it up.

I plan to strip it down right out of the crate, grease everything including the spoke nipples , shim the motor if needed and locktite and safety wire things that might need it.

So, I will go thru everything and slowly get it as bullet proof as possible...I am a fairly qualified mechanic, so I'm not scared.

I can totaly appreciate a honest oppinion, so rant away.

I still have my 03 CR 250 set up for woods (love this bike) and I plan to keep it!

I didn't expect all warm fuzzys about the GG and that's ok, I lived 90% of my life on Hondas I want to try something different, I'm getting a killer deal on a new 08 GG so I couldn't pass it up.

I plan to strip it down right out of the crate, grease everything including the spoke nipples , shim the motor if needed and locktite and safety wire things that might need it.

So, I will go thru everything and slowly get it as bullet proof as possible...I am a fairly qualified mechanic, so I'm not scared.

It'll probably be fine, and it is always fun when your friends say, "what the hell is that?". I always tear down everything and treat all fasteners/bearings/etc on all of my bikes - and did it before riding my 125 too. What does "shim the motor" mean?

As bad as I may sound, I'd still consider buying another one, if I was ever inclined to get another european bike. I'd get a GasGas before I'd get a KTM, I'll tell you that.

Don't forget to anti-seize your triple clamp bolts - they always lock up.

JayC

Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering picking up a left over 08 EC 300.

I am also looking at a left over 08 EC300 that my dealer just got. He is asking $6200 OTD.

I was curious what deal you were finding, as I am debating on this new bike or a used bike for $4800 with low hours and some mods.

See, I knew this would happen. As soon as somebody says anything bad about GasGas, a bunch of GasGas owners chime in about how the bikes are the best thing on the planet and how the person putting them down obviously has something wrong with them no one should listen to 'the crazy guy' (right out of chapter 1 in the Democrat debate handbook ? ).

This is what I'm talking about with your credibility. Was there really a bunch of GasGas riders chiming in about how the bikes are the best thing on the planet? No, it's just me, do you see anyone else that I don't? The actual proof is in the previous posts, if you notice, I don't have to exagerate or lie to get my point across. I remember your other posts reguarding your engine problems and like this one, you come off as disgruntled about your issue and then try to get some jabs in about GasGas on top of it. After this, maybe we should check into this "crazy guy" thing you speak of.

JayC

Save this trash for Town Square. It's not welcome in this forum.

Thank You.

What I read so far in responses just confirmed what I already thought I knew.

I welcome the challange of any imperfections or short commings the GG may have.

I like bikes with personality and I think that's what makes the GG different and this purchase I want something different.

Like I said, I know Hondas all too well (love em!!!) but I'm due for a change,

I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't getting into a total nightmare bike.

Shimming the motor is loosining all the motor mount bolts and shimming the gaps between the motor and the frame mounts...I would suspect the GG could use it, well most bike do.

There a several benefits but the big thing I noticed is it cuts down on vibration.

I welcome the challange of any imperfections or short commings the GG may have.

I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't getting into a total nightmare bike.

There definitely not nightmare bikes, so you don't have to worry about that anymore. Lately I've been thinking of selling the CR 500 and picking up an '05 or newer EC 300.

I just got my new EC 300 08 home from the dealer!

Researching different enduro bikes, it struck me how little trouble

there is reported on the Gasgas two strokes.

The nature of the www. beast, is that all problems affecting any consumer product are usually vell vented.

But still very few problems mentioned on the gassers two strokes.

(carb jetting is not a problem, that`s normal adjustments)

//

(carb jetting is not a problem, that`s normal adjustments)

Depending on your elevation...good luck. Now that you have bought that new bike dont get too excited to ride it because I would pull the carb and check the float, it's most likely horribly off. Then take off them shiney new wheels and put in new rim locks.Wheee!?

• 10 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2009 at 3:24 PM, kevincg said:

I am also looking at a left over 08 EC300 that my dealer just got. He is asking $6200 OTD.

I was curious what deal you were finding, as I am debating on this new bike or a used bike for $4800 with low hours and some mods.

I really hope that 08 is a typo and you intended to type 18 EC300 for $6200.  

Occasionally all mfrs have lemons.  As we know there were a few GG lemons too. 

In our riding group we have nine older GG bikes that have been very reliable and inexpensive to own over time.  Most consumable parts are available cheap because the are the same parts as / crossover to multiple other bikes from Japan with a few Husqvanra and KTM crossover parts for extra flavor.   GasGas did a nice job with making parts backward compatible for many of the older bikes.  The used GG bikes do not retain their value so you can buy them inexpensively and  often get many good used parts on Ebay.

Ride it and see if you like it.

48 minutes ago, shredmasterz said:

I really hope that 08 is a typo and you intended to type 18 EC300 for $6200.  

Occasionally all mfrs have lemons.  As we know there were a few GG lemons too. 

In our riding group we have nine older GG bikes that have been very reliable and inexpensive to own over time.  Most consumable parts are available cheap because the are the same parts as / crossover to multiple other bikes from Japan with a few Husqvanra and KTM crossover parts for extra flavor.   GasGas did a nice job with making parts backward compatible for many of the older bikes.  The used GG bikes do not retain their value so you can buy them inexpensively and  often get many good used parts on Ebay.

Ride it and see if you like it.

You quoted a ten year old post. He did in fact mean a 2008 model back then. 

• Like 1