Sign in to follow this  

Quick Question about Shell Rotella

I see all the threads about people running it. Ive always ran amsoil in my bikes but I cant afford 10$ a quart with how much I ride. I figure ill give it a try but I can't seem to find where to buy it. Is there somewhere online? Also you guys running 10w 40 who use it?

Thanks.

I see all the threads about people running it. Ive always ran amsoil in my bikes but I cant afford 10$ a quart with how much I ride. I figure ill give it a try but I can't seem to find where to buy it. Is there somewhere online? Also you guys running 10w 40 who use it?

Thanks.

Any truck stop or Walmart. I made the same change and it's been great.

Walmart 15W-40

Been using it for a yr and has been flawless. Clutch plates lasted a yr before I had to change them

Just an FYI. Rotella has recently been reformulated for better compatibility with catalytic converters. It now contains less ZDDP (zinc). This is not a good thing for our application. I no longer use it for this reason.

Just an FYI. Rotella has recently been reformulated for better compatibility with catalytic converters. It now contains less ZDDP (zinc). This is not a good thing for our application. I no longer use it for this reason.

when did that happen. Also how do you know which is the old vs new.

I heard about this aswell and I am trying to find a good oil to switch to. What are you changing to?

I recently switched from Rotella to Valvoline premium. I was told by a reliable source it is the exact oil as the Hinson Clutch saver oil. so far so good! i burnt up two clutches in two weekends and many people told me part of it was because the Rotella has anti friction additives in it. good for the gears not the clutches. So I switched to the Valvoline and have been more than happy with it

I "used" to use Rotella. I mean I did until reading this. I just did some investigation, and the Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil meets the "Castrol “R4 Superbike” 5W-40 API SH or SJ with JASO MA" Spec as outlined in the factory service manual. $3.99/ qt. at Autozone. :thumbsup: You want to make sure what you're using has the "JASO MA" spec. All quality motorcycle specific oils should carry the JASO Motorcycle Specification. They are either the JASO MA specification (no friction modifiers) or the JASO MB specification (with friction modifiers). Make sure you get the "MA". :usa: A link to the MSDS: http://msds.ashland.com/msds-ext/msdsDownload.do?method=getMsdsDocKeys&hc=materialSearchHC&id=2

Now to play devil's advocate, here is from Shell.com under RotellaT FAQ's:

Do you recommend using ROTELLA in wet clutch applications?

ROTELLA T does not contain friction modifiers that are added to many passenger-car-only-oils, and it does not comply with all requirements of ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3 and GF-4 (the ILSAC oil specifications are often recommended by many gasoline passenger car engine manufacturers). That can be good for motorcycle/ATV use. Friction modifiers can upset wet clutch operation. And the ILSAC requirements limit phosphorus content.

Diesel engines and other engines with highly loaded valve trains, as well as transmissions, need extra (compared to passenger car engines) extreme pressure wear protection, which is provided by an additive that contains phosphorus.

One negative might be where the engine manufacturer recommends oil meeting JASO requirements. Part of the JASO requirement limits ash content to 1.2%.

Oil ash contributes to combustion chamber and spark plug deposits.

The ash content of CI-4 PLUS spec-ed ROTELLA T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is 1.47%. However, the CJ-4 spec-ed Shell ROTELLA T with Triple Protection is now at 1.0% ash.

FWIW, there is some good info over at bobistheoilguy forum. There's a forum that is specific to motorcycle UOA's.

I recently switched from Rotella to Valvoline premium. I was told by a reliable source it is the exact oil as the Hinson Clutch saver oil. so far so good! i burnt up two clutches in two weekends and many people told me part of it was because the Rotella has anti friction additives in it. good for the gears not the clutches. So I switched to the Valvoline and have been more than happy with it

can you post a link to an image of the exact oil you use. I want to see the bottle so if I decide to get it I get the right one :thumbsup:

I don't think I would get all paranoid over this.The Rotella you guy's are using has been the same for quite sometime and it changed when they went to the tripple protection lable.No ill effects here.

I heard about this aswell and I am trying to find a good oil to switch to. What are you changing to?

I have been running Maxima syn blend since last May.

I don't think I would get all paranoid over this.The Rotella you guy's are using has been the same for quite sometime and it changed when they went to the tripple protection lable.No ill effects here.

Those are the only rotella bottles I've seen recently, so maybe all this hubbub is for nothing.

Either way rotella t is a couple dollars cheaper per gallon at tractor supply co here than at walmart.

I used Rottella since day 1 in my 07' and i am still on the stock clutch with 60hrs on the hour meter.....

hi everyone new to this forum. i run the mobile one in my sons 09 kawi 250f. so far valves are still in check and the transmission shifts fine. the bike has about 30 hours on it and my son is a experienced B level rider soon to turn A.

hi everyone new to this forum. i run the mobile one in my sons 09 kawi 250f. so far valves are still in check and the transmission shifts fine. the bike has about 30 hours on it and my son is a experienced B level rider soon to turn A.

Mobile 1 what? 10-40? details plz :thumbsup: