08 505sx vs 09 450sx

I was thinking with pump gas being as crappy as it is 12.5 would be the only choice before going to at least a 50/50 mix of race fuel. Thanks for the link!

FWIW, at 12.5 to 1 (stock) my 505 was very unhappy when I dumped in the race fuel I run in my Honda (113 blended 50/50 with pump premium). The 505 runs way better on straight pump fuel than race fuel IMO (the total opposite of my XR650R). I am pretty sure it would have more power with a highly oxygenated lower octane race fuel compared to what I run. However, I won't spend that much money for race gas.

hey guys, like many, ktm's are foreign to me and i have started researching them because this weekend i rode a buddys 09 450sxf and it felt a lot different than the crf and the yzf. it could have alot to do with the stearing stabalizer he had on it because it felt very rigid, if that makes sense. but i can easily adapt to stuff like that. what really caught my attention was the power delivery! everything that i have read so far is true about the power and the gearing. i also love the way they look, along with the little things like how easy it is to pop the air filter out. it also seems like ktm cuts out alot of clutter on their bikes. anyways, i would like to buy a new bike. i was all about the 09kx450, which would still be an option, but now i really like the ktms. the only riding i do is the track and about 3 glamis trips. so my main question after researching these ktms is what is better for my riding? the 08 505sx or the 09 450sx? id love to have that much more power than my buddies with the 505 but dont want it to feel way heavier either. they have 07 crfs and yzfs. input would really be appreciated. thanx

hey there, i bought an 09 450 sxf 2 months ago and also ride track and go to glamis, i acually just got back from glamis and this is the best bike i have ever owned!!and that's coming off 09 crf 450,06 yzf 450,and 97 cr 500r.

i was in your delema a little while ago, but i always wanted to try the 505 and always got talked out of it by friends. well i didn't listen to anyone this time and did what i wanted to do

i was also worried about the 4 speed tranny and thinking i needed to get the xc and then convert it to a mx bike. well i am glad i came on here bc the fellow members let me know there is nothing wrong with the 4 speed tranny

so that leads me to now. i got an 08 505sx from ktm's demo program and it qualified for the parts package that ktm is giving for any 08 and 09 bike when you buy it. it is about $1,500 worth of goodies for the bike. the most major change btw 08 and 09 on the 450/505 was susp work but i knew i was gonna get it revalved anyway so i figured save some money and get the 08 and put the extra i saved towards my revalve and parts etc. so i got a smokin deal on a pratically new 08 and got a $1,500 dollar parts package to go with it

i am either gonna have MX-Tech do the susp or get the ohlins ttx stuff like i have on my 09 Honda 450, hard call bc the ohlins stuff is amazing but i hear mx tech does amazing things for a ktm also. then i will just get a jd jet kit and a R&D float bowl to fix the jetting problems and thats it i will leave the bike stock for everything else. i can't wait to get it and ride it!!

The jetting on pretty much any bike will take some adjustment. Some people haven't needed to put the Adj Leak Jet on or a JD kit, while others swear by it. I don't have the JD kit but I do use an Adj Leak Jet.

On my XCF, I ran a 45 pilot but otherwise stock jetting. It worked great until after about two months when I started getting the off-idle bog, I added the Adj Leak Jet and the problem went away.

On my SXF, the bike came with completely stock jetting and a powernow on the airbox side, and it worked really good except for a very slight bog off idle. It didn't stall nearly as much as my XCF and started easier too.

I then took my XCF carb w/ the Adj Leak Jet, sent it to ZipTy for their $100 mod, and put it on the SXF w/ the powernow. It is perfect now, starts easy and starts in gear, excellent throttle response, hardly ever stalls, and as a bonus I get about 20% better gas mileage too. I don't understand why or how but I'm quite happy with it.

The jetting on pretty much any bike will take some adjustment. Some people haven't needed to put the Adj Leak Jet on or a JD kit, while others swear by it. I don't have the JD kit but I do use an Adj Leak Jet.

On my XCF, I ran a 45 pilot but otherwise stock jetting. It worked great until after about two months when I started getting the off-idle bog, I added the Adj Leak Jet and the problem went away.

On my SXF, the bike came with completely stock jetting and a powernow on the airbox side, and it worked really good except for a very slight bog off idle. It didn't stall nearly as much as my XCF and started easier too.

I then took my XCF carb w/ the Adj Leak Jet, sent it to ZipTy for their $100 mod, and put it on the SXF w/ the powernow. It is perfect now, starts easy and starts in gear, excellent throttle response, hardly ever stalls, and as a bonus I get about 20% better gas mileage too. I don't understand why or how but I'm quite happy with it.

wow, thats awesome. ya i know all about having to tweak the jetting on these bikes. well i shouldnt say i know because it seems like i can never get it right, but i do know what you mean. hey, have you heard about the tokyo mod? two of my uncles got it done. i thought it was like the zipty but its 300 bucks and i believe they do alot more work in there. like drilling stuff out bigger and adding things. i dont know exactly what but WOW is the power increase significant! i never thought a 450 would snap from dead idle like a 250 2-stroke or better. the response it uncomperable to anything. supposedly a 3-5 hp gain.

well i have read that more than most have to mess with the jetting on this bike and after that it is a dream. so i figured why not do it from the start instead of messing with it later on down the road

when you say "to fix the jetting problem", is there really a problem with the jetting on this bike? or are you just saying for a carburated bike in general thats what you would do?

hey guys, i have another concern and question. i have not searched for this topic but i figure i can just keep this thread open. i was talking with my buddies about how the sxf's only have an e-start and no back up kicker. has anyone had a problem with that where they got stuck bc of that? just a little concern because i do ride glamis and would hate to have a prob with the e-start in the middle of the dunes.

hey guys, i have another concern and question. i have not searched for this topic but i figure i can just keep this thread open. i was talking with my buddies about how the sxf's only have an e-start and no back up kicker. has anyone had a problem with that where they got stuck bc of that? just a little concern because i do ride glamis and would hate to have a prob with the e-start in the middle of the dunes.

Does your truck have a backup crank on the front like an old Model T?

Didn't think so.

Might as well get used to the idea of not having a kickstarter. It will be that way with more and more bikes as time progressess forward.

If you don't take care of the battery properly, you will have a problem. If you properly maintain the electrical system then there are no worries.

what kind of things do you need to do with the battery to keep it maintained? iv never had to with any other bike.

I keep a battery tender hooked up to mine, especially if I know I won't be on the bike for awhile. I've replaced my battery once in 2 1/2 years.

what kind of things do you need to do with the battery to keep it maintained? iv never had to with any other bike.

Probably not an issue for you, but you don't want to let them freeze. A battery tender of some kind is a must. Any other bike you have had will have come with a much larger battery. KTM only put the bare minimum in there as more CCA is more weight. The battery in a 450X, WR, etc... has almost twice the power and weight of the stock SXF battery.

The other main reason to keep the battery at full charge when not riding a 450/505 SXF/XCF is that the ignition is powered by the battery, not the stator. So if the battery gets weak, not only will the motor have a more difficult time turning over, you have a weaker spark. I'd like to think of this as a double jeopardy situation.