Sign in to follow this  

09 breather tube + oil

Anyone have the fix to stop the 09 dumping oil out the breather tube everytime you drop it?? Thinking there must be a way to re route the tubes or somthing? Not a biggy it's just annoying. Love the bike otherwise!!

Thanks, I do that, it's the breather into the airbox thats making a mess, seems to pump oil out of there when the bikes on it's side.

I always buy the Engine Vent Kit from Tokyomods for all of my Hondas. It comes with a billet air boot plug and then a piece of yellow or black hose (your choice) for $24.95. This way I never have to drain that tube because you just direct it down by the shock and it drains itself.

I always buy the Engine Vent Kit from Tokyomods for all of my Hondas. It comes with a billet air boot plug and then a piece of yellow or black hose (your choice) for $24.95. This way I never have to drain that tube because you just direct it down by the shock and it drains itself.

Is there a risk of getting dust up the hose and in to the engine with that kit?:thumbsup:

Is there a risk of getting dust up the hose and in to the engine with that kit?:thumbsup:

That will be the least of your problems if your engine starts turning into a vacuum.

YZs have the same setup since 98.

I was worried about the same thing when I first bought the kit, but the guys at Tokyomods assured me that dirt or dust would not get sucked up into the motor. I am not a motor guru by any means, but I don't believe there is a "vacuum effect" created from the motor in which to suck-up dirt or dust.

it shoud not do that unless the oil is way over full or the drian tube is full.

I alway have the oil at the correct level, I check it every ride as there is not much in there!! I clean out the tube at the same time, it has never had more than an inch and a half of oil in the end of it after a ride. Just went and looked at it now after riding on sunday, there is an inch of oil in the bottom of the drain tube and oil has come through the other end of the tube where it tee's off into the airbox, through the filter and out the bottom of the airbox. I crashed a few times and the bike layed on its side and it ran for maybe 20 seconds before I got to it. my old CRF would usually stall if this happened, the fi just keeps it running, think this has somthing to do with it? I was thinking there maybe somthing I could do with the piping to get the oil to run back in once the bike is upright?? I know of 2 other 09's which do this as well.

Something is not right if it is flowing that much oil into the vent system. I have had several CRF's and never have had a problem with oil getting into the airbox. So far on my 09 I have over 90 hours and think I have drained the tube maybe 2 times. Before you go looking into a re-route kit I would try and fix the source of the problem... ie oil overfill, bad rings, poor valve seal, ect. Re-route is not going to fix the problem.

Something is not right if it is flowing that much oil into the vent system. I have had several CRF's and never have had a problem with oil getting into the airbox. So far on my 09 I have over 90 hours and think I have drained the tube maybe 2 times. Before you go looking into a re-route kit I would try and fix the source of the problem... ie oil overfill, bad rings, poor valve seal, ect. Re-route is not going to fix the problem.

So what do you think is most likley? The oil is definitley at the required level on the dipstick. I wouldn't have thought that rings or valves would have anything to do with it?? I have 2 friends who's 09's also do this. It happens when the bike is lying on the ground and running, somtimes it is past horizontal, i.e slightly upside down, the oil must take the first exit into the airbox and not run down into the bottom of the tube.. I also never had any problems with my previous CRF's, Myself and my friends have about 35 hours on our 09's and we are all are having this problem.

you need to drian that tube after every ride.

Yep, I also drain mine after every ride. There's always something in there.

you want to avoid letting the bike running on its side like that.

Haha most of the time I have no choice!! It mostly happens out in the trails when I am ejected from the machine, guess I will have to slow down and stop falling off...haha..

The old carby'd 07 would just stall in the same situation, But I like the 09 alot better.

Might look into the tokyo mods option.. Thanks anyway.

It happens when the bike is lying on the ground and running, somtimes it is past horizontal, i.e slightly upside down, the oil must take the first exit into the airbox and not run down into the bottom of the tube..

O I see... I was thinking it was doing it just with normal riding. Well not sure what to tell you other than to keep it two wheels :thumbsup:. But we all know that is easier said than done :confused:

Guys, just fill the factory bung to the air box with 5 min epoxy. Get a piece of clear hose from the hardware store, route it from the valve cover bung to just above the chain. 5 bucks max, done.:thumbsup:

I use the hose thats there, cut down the t connector so its a straight connector and slide the hose up past the hole, block up the air box and remove the plug of the bottom.

I am gonna reroute the hose as well. I hate the oil into the air box cuz it makes a mess out the bottom edge of my air filter. I mean what is the point of using no-toil Honda filter products if you then have to clean it with solvent to get the engine oil out anyway.:confused: I get oil in my airbox just from riding at higher rpm's and not even crashing. My 07 kx had it's vent down on the frame in front of the shift lever and when you did rides/races where you were in the upper rpm's alot the frame always had oil on it and it didn't suck dirt in. just kind of a stupid design by Honda I think.:thumbsup: