Sign in to follow this  

Looking to buy a kx250f, cant decided between 04/5 model or 06

I am in Australia, i have a tight budget and have found a few Kx250f's in the 2004 model and 05, but also found a stock 06 model for aruond the same price .. now, the travelling distances between each one is a fair bit! we have big states in OZ! , so just wanting to know, are there much differences between the 3 models.. 2004, 2005, 2006, these 3 models are all that fall into my budget!

any help would be greatly appreciated and also anything to be wary of when looking at them, i am a motocross Noob :thumbsup:

cheers guys

If you are a newbie and on a budget, I would suggest to get a 2-stroke 125 instead.

They are cheaper to buy, cheaper to repair and have lighter weight.

You could easily get an -07 125 for the price of an -06 KXF.

That said, if you really want a 4-stroke, get as new a year as possible.

The -06 KXF is completely updated and alot better than the two older models.

Bring a friend (that rides) to look at a used bike, he can help you with what to look for.

From everything i have heard, the 04/05 model is not the kind of bike you would want to buy used, it had a lot of issues since it was an all new bike that year, kawi then rebuilt it again from the ground up in 06 and made a much better and more reliable bike then, i would say your only choice is the 06, or like said above, look for a nice 125.

well im not a total noob to bikes! i just dont know much about their inner workings! and how to fix them!! i have money to maintain and stuff, its just the initial outlay ... i dont want a 2stroke, and im thinking a 125 may be abit underpowered, all my mates have 250's, and im more into the trail rides..rather than motorcross riding... ive actually had a 2008 klx250s , and took it out riding in the dirt and hated it to bits, heavy and crap handling ... so i just want a dedicated dirt bike now!

the 06 is totally stock, the 05's have exhausts, bars and that kinda stuff...

the 05 wasn't a very good bike and the 04 was worse. doesn't matter if they have exhaust, and bars are cheap and chances are something you'll probably want to change em anyways. go with the 06, save up some more money and put some different radiators on it if you're trail riding it. a lot of the guys around here had trouble with them over heating in the woods. good luck dude

if this is your first bike i would highly recommend a 125, great starter bike. I started last year and am glad to ride a 125 for a year, taught me a lot with clutch work and handling.. just picked up a 06 kx250f for this year. If you do decide to go ride to the 4t's get a 06 or newer, read up on the differences between the years, but there were drastic changes going to the 06 model.

Go with the 06KXF250.The 06 is superior to the 04/05 in every aspect. It handles better and most importantly, is much more reliable as compared to the 04/05 Kawasuzuki. To me, having the after market parts doesn't mean anything at all. I think it's just for bling, besides, it'll be much more fun when you slowly bling up your 06. Just for comparison, i bought a brand new 09kxf250 stock and love riding it so much then my other 07 ex-AMA kxf250F is collecting dust at all.

I don't know what you guys are talking about with the MY05 KX250F. No problemos for me! Having said that, parts and graffix are getting harder to find though...

go for the 06 for sure. the aluminum frame alone makes it worth the extra bucks. if you look around for a deal, I have seen 06's go for less than 04/05 bikes

go for the 06 for sure. the aluminum frame alone makes it worth the extra bucks. if you look around for a deal, I have seen 06's go for less than 04/05 bikes

picked my 06 up for 2300 with a few goodies and fresh rebuild... by no means the most pristine bike (some scratches on plastics) but mechanically sound! :thumbsup:

06 is such a better bike then the 04/05's. still riding my 06 hard with no major problems. maintenance is key* to 4-strokes.

06 for sure! I'm constantly shimming the valves on my 04. The 06 is a waaay more reliable bike IMO....

dont know much about the 04s, but from everything I have herd, if you are constantly shimming the valves, sounds like they are in need of replacing. and for sure go with the 06

i went for the 06! i almost bought a crf250r 06 model, but was told they have valve problems commonly..

i got a real bargain, got it for $3200AUD, and ive dropped it off at the workshop to get a service, brakes,fork seals,new o-ring chain and sprockets plus tuning! cant wait to get it back and go for a ride!

i went for the 06! i almost bought a crf250r 06 model, but was told they have valve problems commonly..

i got a real bargain, got it for $3200AUD, and ive dropped it off at the workshop to get a service, brakes,fork seals,new o-ring chain and sprockets plus tuning! cant wait to get it back and go for a ride!

You should have done that all yourself. Its easier than you think.

Im sure it is to those who have been around motorbikes for a few years, but this is my first real motocross bike.. so for its first service, im happy to pay to have it done right.. however, i do plan on learning how to do all this stuff myself, i can do pretty much anything to my car .. so im sure ill pick up bikes fairly quickly..

any good sites or tutorials you can recommend for me to start reading up on!

cheers guys..

get a manual and read it front to back (im guilty of not doing this myself yet....) it will cover anything you need to do. learn to do everything yourself, you will save yourself thousands of dollars a year, its really a lot easier than you think, and thats half the fun of riding, wrenching on the bike on a rainy day. the only way to learn is to do it, kind of like riding.... the way I thought of it to, is that there is nothing that you can really mess up that cant be fixed. common sense and a manual will get you a long way, and with experience working on cars, it should come pretty natural. I have a pdf manual I can send you if you give me your email, got it from another nice member on here

Aussie guy, pls go for the 2006 (at least):thumbsup:

We have a similar problem in Brazil, prices are quite high here

A brand new 2009 KX250F is almost US$15,000 here

yes, that is correct = fifteen grand for a new 250F

hey guys, i did get the 2006 model, after reading all the reviews of it there was no way i could get an 04, i actually bought a yz250f 2004 model and it was just trouble constantly, so i rang the dude i bought it from and he agreed to give me back my money... so glad i got rid of that bike and got myself this KX, something about the kawasaki's that i like over the other bikes.. everyone seems to have a cr or a yz!...

to the guy with the PDF manual, that would be awesome if you could email it to me!!

jasonkendrick@bigpond.com