Sign in to follow this  

Need Advice-08 RMZ450- jumping out of gear

I need some advice for my 4 hour old 08 RMZ450 with 09 motor. I was at the track today and started off with 3.0 hours on my motor (I had changed the oil and filter at 2.3 hrs). I rode several times and then at about 4 hrs the bike began to hit false neutrals. I almost bit it a coupla times. It is definitly NOT shifting as it should and did for the first 4 hours I have ridden it.

I bought the bike from a guy that bought it new. He had just had the 09 motor placed in the bike. There was not a scratch on the cases and the kickstarter part of the case had the reinforcing rib. He signed over the original title and everything seemed cool.

My question is what should I do? Will Suzuki help me out or what? What could be suddenly causing this shifting problem? Has anybody else had the problem?

Are you sure its not you? I had problems shifting too when I first got my 08. I moved the shifter lever up and it has been prety good since. I found it hard to shift with the stock lever in the stock position. Just a thought.

Thanks for the thought but it is more than a misplaced shifter. It will not shift or stay in 4th gear. For the first 4 hours it was perfect and then without warning it deteriorated completely. It seems obvious to me that something changed in the gearbox. I just don't know what it is or what help Suzuki will do for me if anything. I cant ride it this way.

I had the same problem and it related to the position of the shifter. My shifter was positioned too far up, thus I wasn't getting enough lift from my foot to put it into the next gear.

This may be a little off but on my 06 I would be wide open and it would go into neutral, let off the gas and it would go right back into gear. I damn near killed myself over a big double so needless to say I sold the bike and never went back to Suzuki since. This was my 06.

108_0874.jpg

I've had that happen a few times on my 05 and on my 06. Hit a false neutral between 3rd and 4th, usually when trying to upshift on extremely rough ground and not getting the most solid shift. Moved my shift levers up one or two notches and rarely have the problem since (I think because it's easier to get a more solid shift, plus I always make sure to do an extra-solid upshift if I'm near a jump face). I heard that you can get Yoshimura to coat the transmission gears and that solves/helps the problem.

it could be the shift detent spring(i think thats what its called) my 07 rmz250 does the same thing. replace it with a 08 or 09 shift detent spring and that should solve it

I'm running Valvoline Motorcycle 4 stroke oil with all the appropriate oil ratings at 10-40 wt.

But its a new engine and should have the 09 shift detent spring. In addition, it ran and shifted fine for the first 4 hours.

Probably broke down the oil after 4 hours.

Try a change and a reposition,

-Steve

But its a new engine and should have the 09 shift detent spring. In addition, it ran and shifted fine for the first 4 hours.

The 09 doesnt have another shift detent spring. You should change the oil and i dont know much about the Valvoline oil but make sure its a oil that is recommended for combined engine/transmission becuase a lot of people use oil that arent recomended for combined engine/transmission in bikes with combined oil/transimission..

We have the same thing happen to our 08. It was the dogs on the gears were rounded. We were running 10/40 but are switch to 20/50.

Did you have to split the cases and replace the worn dogs? Also, you changed to 20-50 wt. Did suzuki help you out or were you on your own?

It's a Suzuki thing. I had a Rm 250 04 & 05 model & rmz 450 06 & 07 model, every now & then they jumped out of gear for no reason. My rm 250 05 model, put me in a bad situtation going up the face of a jump & jumped out of gear.

We had to split the cases and replace the gears. And yes we where on our own!! I hope the 20/50 oil helps with some of the wear.

Suzuki449,

How many hours did you have on the bike when the gears went south? Its hard to believe that a bike's gearbox will wear significantly enough to begin popping out of gear after just 4 hrs. If this is the case, then why arent more suzuki rmz450 owners reporting gear shifting problems?

Ours went at about 20 hrs. Call Jeff from PR2 he can tell you all about the shifting problems. He did alot of R&D with Darren Durham last year.

Suzuki449,

How many hours did you have on the bike when the gears went south? Its hard to believe that a bike's gearbox will wear significantly enough to begin popping out of gear after just 4 hrs. If this is the case, then why arent more suzuki rmz450 owners reporting gear shifting problems?

I would suggest a oil change before you start thinking about weared gearbox.