Golden Spike HS Coming Soon

Thanks a ton to the group that put this event together.

I had a complete blast in the supermoto race. I can't thank you enough for swapping the first race so that I could make it there in time. Giving us that sighting lap helped a ton too. This event is on my list of things I need to do again!

Next time I'll 2x check the google maps route: I got to see all side of mt rainier since the pass is still closed on 410... DOH!

After an hour of solid track time, I still can't remember the corners. And when I put the vid together now I know why: ~42 turns a lap!!!

So, here is my helmet cam footage of the start of our first heat and the first lap.

Also who knows the guys name that rode like 9 laps with a flat to finish in the top 10? #816 on a Yamaha yz450 I believe.

The guy who rode most of the long course with a flat rear was Anthonee Gibbs. Unbelievable he finished!

Anyone have have any comments about club members pre riding/practicing

the course and then racing?????

...Anyone have have any comments about club members pre riding/practicing

Not much can be done about this. Been this way forever. There's no real prize money, and the sponsoring clubs put in incredible amounts of time, money and effort putting together these events. It's just not reasonable to believe that so many people could be onsite setting up the course, and not practice run it. All I can suggest is to join a club, and you'll have a slight advantage over some of the intermediate riders. The top dogs are top dogs no matter when they first see the course. Just my experience on the third rock.

:excuseme:

No, but I did see a lot of cheater lines out there that cut about 3 different corners in the sandy section. I had also heard of a few guys cutting sections off in the heavy bouldered area where the two corners came close in the scotch broom before you headed to the tree duck-unders. That being said, I never saw anyone actually do it.:excuseme:

Anyone have have any comments about club members pre riding/practicing

Yeah, as the 2009 SJMC President I do.

Long before anybody else shows up for the race the club members put in hours and hours of their personal time setting up the course. You don't suppose all those tripods and ribbon set themselves up do you? How else are they supposed to mark the course without riding it?

We could always use volunteers...come on out to the next one and give us a hand.

And as a sweeper, we constantly look for the "cheater" lines that develop (and they do) and ribbon them off. For example, near the end of the woods section after the puddle there was a cheater line that by-passed the twisty roots and sharp right uphill before the 1st check. Blocked that off....

Yeah, as the 2009 SJMC President I do.

Long before anybody else shows up for the race the club members put in hours and hours of their personal time setting up the course. You don't suppose all those tripods and ribbon set themselves up do you? How else are they supposed to mark the course without riding it?

We could always use volunteers...come on out to the next one and give us a hand.

I completly understand and agree. But doing an hours worth of evening practice on the pavement (which is quite confusing till you ride a few laps)and then winning your class, to some, might be concidered an "unfair" advantage?

I raced a high desert race out of Bend OR in like 88 or 89. Almost with out exception every racer was lost multiple times and the overall whent to the course (non)marker. :excuseme:

It was marked so poorly that the sweep riders of the club couldn't follow it...they were lost with us. I packed 3 quarts of premix before I went out for my 50 or so mile lap..and came in on fumes. No joke.

The GS course was marked well, and I had the street course tagged after two laps...with the exception of one corner I just could not figure out. lol Everything else is up to you.

Was GS a NMA points race? Or was it a "just for fun" race?

If it's just for fun, then I have no problem with club members helping to set up and then racing on it. They're not getting any prize money or points for an end of season series competition, then they can do whatever they want. In races such as these, the sponsoring club may want to considering allowing a 1 lap practice open to all, for a small $5 fee. Might help the monetary aspect as well, and you could run it early in the morning so as not to interfere with the schedule.

If this was an NMA points race and then club members setup up the course and raced it then that does seem unfair. NMA should offer work points to club members who work a race that is a points event so they don't lose out on the season points race by working the race.

My 2 cents. :excuseme:

If this was an NMA points race and then club members setup up the course and raced it then that does seem unfair. NMA should offer work points to club members who work a race that is a points event so they don't lose out on the season points race by working the race.

My 2 cents. :excuseme:

Yes, the GS was an NMA points race, and yes, the NMA offers worker points for working a race. But the SJMC puts on three points races per year and we are only allowed worker points once per season so as you can see the math doesn't work out.

This year I was unable to help with course set up so when the race started I was in the same boat as everybody else. Misread one turn on the first lap but after that it was no problem. It cost me one position which I got back half a lap later.

Yes, the GS was an NMA points race, and yes, the NMA offers worker points for working a race. But the SJMC puts on three points races per year and we are only allowed worker points once per season so as you can see the math doesn't work out.

This year I was unable to help with course set up so when the race started I was in the same boat as everybody else. Misread one turn on the first lap but after that it was no problem. It cost me one position which I got back half a lap later.

How many points races are there in the typical NMA season? Work points once per season might be able to be extended to twice if there's at least 8 or 9 races (ideally 10) per season. Putting on 3 races yourselves is a lot of responsibility too - good on ya! How big is the club? Is it big enough that some members might race some races and others work them - to the point where everyone works and gets credit for working but can also race without having to help with that particular race? This would obviously work better if the NMA considered allowing two races per season be eligible for work points.

I had another question for you - is the way the numbers were done pretty standard for other NMA races? You sign up for a class, get a pie plate number?

How many points races are there in the typical NMA season? Work points once per season might be able to be extended to twice if there's at least 8 or 9 races (ideally 10) per season. Putting on 3 races yourselves is a lot of responsibility too - good on ya! How big is the club? Is it big enough that some members might race some races and others work them - to the point where everyone works and gets credit for working but can also race without having to help with that particular race? This would obviously work better if the NMA considered allowing two races per season be eligible for work points.

I had another question for you - is the way the numbers were done pretty standard for other NMA races? You sign up for a class, get a pie plate number?

How can this be so complicated? The NMA worker points system has worked well for many years.

In reality, getting club members(harescramble, enduro, trials) to actually donate their time and effort to set up and work a race is harder than it appears. The few who put in the work, for the enjoyment of the racers, should be commended, not chastised.

As far as numbers? Yes, that is how it is done. This system is simple and has worked well for the under appreciated scorers for many years.

In reality, getting club members(harescramble, enduro, trials) to actually donate their time and effort to set up and work a race is harder than it appears. The few who put in the work, for the enjoyment of the racers, should be commended, not chastised.

+1 :excuseme:

(Prior comment made)

"Anyone have have any comments about club members pre riding/practicing

the course and then racing?????"

I was at 5/02 2009 weekend work party for this race. There were NO bikes.

I showed up on friday morning 5/08 to help set up the course. ALL course markers were done on FOOT. We worked on the course all day. I was the only bike out on the whole course Friday afternoon late and Saturday mornings pre ride. Our Race Chairman's was suposed to preride but I don't know they ever did. When MX 813 & I went out on our presweep ride Saturday morning there were only what I could see were my own lines. Both MX 813 & I did not race.

I did however have an advantage on all you while I swept Rode all weekend.

Go Figure

Ditto what Wiz & MX said. Maybe before people complain THEY should put some work in first.

(Prior comment made)

"Anyone have have any comments about club members pre riding/practicing

the course and then racing?????"

I was at 5/02 2009 weekend work party for this race. There were NO bikes.

I showed up on friday morning 5/08 to help set up the course. ALL course markers were done on FOOT. We worked on the course all day. I was the only bike out on the whole course Friday afternoon late and Saturday mornings pre ride. Our Race Chairman's was suposed to preride but I don't know they ever did. When MX 813 & I went out on our presweep ride Saturday morning there were only what I could see were my own lines. Both MX 813 & I did not race.

I did however have an advantage on all you while I swept Rode all weekend.

Go Figure

Ditto what Wiz & MX said. Maybe before people complain THEY should put some work in first.

Doesn't really look like a complaint to me...just asking people's thoughts. A warm up lap is a great idea though...just takes more time. For me personally, I could (and did) ride 10 laps and on lap 10 every corner was a surprise again :excuseme: