Sign in to follow this  

Anxiety about off road riding

Just tell your boss about your plans.....house, family, etc....and you were wondering if they ofer short term or long term disability. Very simple.....not an uncommon thing and no reason to tell him you are worried about getting hurt riding dirt bikes.....you just want to make sure you and your family are protected in the event of you getting hurt and being unable to work.....you could get hurt in a car accident, you could fall down a flight of stairs, etc....there are a million things that could make you miss work.

Also, if they dont offer disablity thern check into AFLAC....around $250-$300 per year and if you get hurt they actually pay you cash depending on your injury....it is a form of disability for individuals. It is worth the $$$ for peace of mind.....you cant live your life not doing what you enjoy......

Good luck....

Mike

I have asked my boss. our company does not provide any disability insurance. We do pay CA State disability insurance. - i am covered there, but still, she is having our broker contact me to find out whats the best option for me.

Thanks!

california state disability insurance that you have to pay into only pays something like 1200 dollars a month when maxed out. It would be a good idea to find something to suplement that income with. The company I am using is Colonial. Do a search on them...They are offered through my work but I am sure you can call them and find out something on your own.

Ride within your limits, & you will minimize your chances of crashing.

I quit riding for 10 years because of those fears, I am now 35 and started back. Man i can not tell you how hard it is for me to get back in the groove, but I feel so alive when I'm out there trying. Sometimes you just have to take the risk for something you love, because anything can happen at anytime!I say enjoy life now, I worried about that stuff while I was in Iraq everyday! I will always live for today and worry about tomorrow Later!

I would go with some one like, Aflac or Combined, for accident insurance. I have been dealing with national union fire insurance co. of pitts. for 7 months.I have had some friends tell me Aflac dosen't mess around with getting your money to you..

my buddy collected with aflac but it took 6 months or so to get it...No haggle that is just the way it worked...His was not a motorcycle injury..His appendix burst and was out of work for 3 weeks...He barrowed the money to get by and when aflac paid out he repaid his debts...Talking to others that is kinda normal in the disability insurance field.

Accident insurance,and accidental health insurance is a little diffrent.We have Aflac and Combined show up at the prison,about once a quater.Me ,being a State Employee,I don't pay SDI. I only qualify for NDI.It sucks,but it's better than nothing.

my buddy collected with aflac but it took 6 months or so to get it...No haggle that is just the way it worked...His was not a motorcycle injury..His appendix burst and was out of work for 3 weeks...He barrowed the money to get by and when aflac paid out he repaid his debts...Talking to others that is kinda normal in the disability insurance field.

i have anxiety about braking my bike. like if it were to tumble down a hill on a fail hill climb and twist the subframe. or if the motor were to suck in water in a deep water crossing. those are my anxieties mainly. they usually come before im worried about hurting myself.

I don't worry about getting hurt. I think worying about it will make me make the wrong decisions. Unless you're riding over your ability, just STOP riding when you're tired. That's when the mistakes and injuries happen.

If you ride in fear or ride scared thinking too much, you will, without a doubt, get injured. If you can't overcome this fear, imo you should hang it up before you get really hurt.

You can ride at your pace and still have fun. I usally tell my riding buddy's to ride as hard as they want to that the old man will be there in a little while. I find that a friend of mine hit the nail on the head. No matter how fast you are someone will always be faster. So have fun be safe for your family and enjoy riding.

I dont think he is afraid of getting hurt...I think he is afraid of not being able to pay his bills... a legitimate concern

Very real issue,not paying your bills.I put a house in esgrow the day before i had my spill. We ended up using all of our down payment money,It goes quick.My wife had to pull our toy hauler up to Palm Springs and space rent by the day & week.Plus eating out hauling kids back and forth up down all around. Take the time and get your self and your family set up just incase.Don't make the mistake i did. Let the wife have all the info.I was the one and only one that paid the bills.She was overwhelmed.

well if you keep thinking the way that you are pretty soon you won't want to get out of bed. life is a risk you could fall in the shower and be out of work. I'm not saying that you should go out and start doing back flips on your bike but just ride within your capabilities and you will minimize the possibility of getting hurt. Another question is why did you start riding in the first place? If you play it safe in life you will wish that you took more risks when you were younger. :excuseme:

well if you keep thinking the way that you are pretty soon you won't want to get out of bed. life is a risk you could fall in the shower and be out of work. I'm not saying that you should go out and start doing back flips on your bike but just ride within your capabilities and you will minimize the possibility of getting hurt. Another question is why did you start riding in the first place? If you play it safe in life you will wish that you took more risks when you were younger. :excuseme:

Dirtbikes are a dangerous sport. If you dont believe that you are fooling yourself. We do what we can to minimize the risk but alas sometimes @#$% happens. If you have a house and a family then you are risking everying everytime you throw your leg over that bike...It is only common sense to make arrangements for when you crash and when you get hurt...IT WILL HAPPEN. I dont think about it when I ride but it is a reality. I have accepted the fact that bones break and bones heal...I just dont want to loose my house and not be able to feed my family when that happens. That is why it is a smart idea to get disablity insurance of some kind.

It is not about staying in bed not wanting to take risks...It is about not risking the family. If I was single with no bills I probably would not even worry about the insurance.

Don't take any unnessasary chances. Make sure your bike is preped and ready. Concentrate 100% when you're riding and stay within your control limit. There are no guarntees in life so why not do what you love? :excuseme:

hey thanks again everyone,

i spoke with my employeer about disability insurance, and described how buying a house without this additional insurance was kind of nerve racking.

my boss had me contact my insurance broker, and the employeer agreed to pay for the insurance.

i will get a breakdown of the various insurances and let you guys know how it goes.

Also thanks for the posts of advice. i really do appreciate the help

Thanks,

Ryan

i do agree taking it easy will minimize my risks, and thanks for the post.

i started riding when i was like 8 and its been close to 13 years of riding.

i only recently noticed this anxiety i think because of being married, and now having my own responsibility. i bought my new bike before i thought about getting married, and now its not ever gonna sell for how much i want it for.