Any luck with Speedo conversion???

I was wondering if anyone has found a solution or had any luck with converting the STOCK speedo drive to read correctly when running SM wheels on an XR L. I want to SM my L and I WANT to keep the stock gauge cluster! I DON'T want to switch over to a digital computer speedo. Bottom line is I would like to find an adapter that can be easily removed, for switching between dirt and SM wheels. Am I asking too much??? I have seen some auto adapters on flea bay, but they have a 7/8in. thread on them... and I doubt that an XR cable is that big! So anybody got a great hidden secret out there???

Any and all input appreciated! Thanks ?

We have been thru this before, to no avail, I've been looking to accomplish the same. Closest we came last time I checked was swapping an entire unit from the crf230sm or equivalent from OZ. It wouldn't be that hard to adjust the mileage also, so long as you have a drill and you're adding...

Pretty much all mechanical speedos are geared the same. At 2240 RPM on the cable the speedo reads 60mph. If you can adapt the speedo drive along with the wheel you all you have to figure out is how to attach the speedo cable to the drive. It will then be geared correctly.

The question is do any of the donor wheels use mechanical speedo drives anymore?

Ya I came across that item too! However it converts kph to mph... however if we could get one of you genius engineers types on here to fab something similar that would correct the difference in wheel diameter, that would be perfect!!! And very easily removable if you wanted to swap out ur moto wheels for a day in the dirt! I like the little gadget, but its not EXACTLY what we need to solve the problem... Suggestions anyone? anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller???

I hope this is relevant enough, but aren't these mechanical speedo's fairly prone to failure? I have never had one that worked...

I had a 93 XR250 purchased new. I put 10,500 mi. on the bike, and it still worked when I got rid of it! Haven't had any issues with the new bike either.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? how about an online parts source for the elusive Honda FMX650... sold only in Europe, or Australia??? Anyone know of a foreign outfit like Babbitts or Service Honda, where I can buy parts online???

Service Honda can't get parts for bikes sold over seas, I asked AJ if he could get me spokes for the XR400R SM and was shot down.

No real help as I go o/t

But, I'm assuming that you've seen the FMX650 commercial on youtube...

Honda sucks for not bringing that bike here

I'd never seen that.Honda DOES suck for not bringing that here.All we get is the CRF230M.:excuseme:

service honda shows the same p/n on the speedometer for the crf230l (21" wheel) and the crf230m (17" wheel), so that leads me to think the gears in the drive assembly or the whole drive unit is whats needed. they dont show a p/n for the 230m yet. other things to check are axle size and dimensions of the unit(width).

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? how about an online parts source for the elusive Honda FMX650... sold only in Europe, or Australia??? Anyone know of a foreign outfit like Babbitts or Service Honda, where I can buy parts online???
Service Honda can't get parts for bikes sold over seas, I asked AJ if he could get me spokes for the XR400R SM and was shot down.

a while back sumome suggested this source for non-US parts...i never checked into it...

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/

:excuseme:

P.S. wut about just making an overlay for the gauge?