Who should be champion?

I have to agree with those that like the current point system. I think it is a good representation of the races that make up the championship. Think about it, in a race you can lead every lap up to the last one (19 out of 20, be the fastest along the way) but you won't get the win unless you cross the line first on the very last lap. The championship is much the same, you can when 15 of the 17 races and still not be the champion. Or maybe you crash in the first turn, digging yourself a huge hole, you remount starting dead last yet turn the fastest lap times for the remainder of the race, what happens then is you slowly crawl out of that hole and back up through the pack but you don't instantly propel yourself to the front. Again the championship is much the same, DNF the first race of the seaon and you've dug yourself the same deep hole, win several of the next races and you begin to work your way back to the top. Luck, mistakes, misfortunes, mechanical problems, and whatever else you want to throw in, is all part of racing, and should be part of the championship. I see no reason to try and eliminate any of it, no need for more points for wins or throwaways. It seems there's more to winning races than speed and there should be more to winning championships than race wins.

Yeah...what he said!!

About the only person that would be hurt this year would be Reed, he has not finished off top 3 this year, but that is really a fluke, he's usually not so consistent. He would have loved to have this system last year, I'm sure.

Not so consistent? He has something like 100 podium finishes out of 115 supercross races.

maybe instead of having a finish we can have judges around the track and we can score each rider like olympic ice skating and then we can throw out the low and hi scores to the German judge wont F things up

Yeah maybe.

Or ... maybe we can have 1 point separate 1st from 2nd and the riders can fall all over themselves seeing who can cruise the slowest for 2nd.

Or ... maybe we can just count podiums and award the series that way - oh wait, that's the current system.

Personally, I like seeing a race for the win. Not consistent 2nd.

Yeah maybe.

Or ... maybe we can have 1 point separate 1st from 2nd and the riders can fall all over themselves seeing who can cruise the slowest for 2nd.

Or ... maybe we can just count podiums and award the series that way - oh wait, that's the current system.

Personally, I like seeing a race for the win. Not consistent 2nd.

I keep waiting for someone to say Reed was riding to win in all those races he finished 2nd in.................?

We really don't know when he was pushing and when he wasn't. So best to leave it up in the air.

I know in his podium speech at Pheonix Reed said he still had more in the tank, but didn't feel he needed to push just then. I hope that comes back to haunt him. ?

We really don't know when he was pushing and when he wasn't. So best to leave it up in the air.

I am pretty sure you know where I am going with this. If someone says he was pushing it then it would indicate that he is not as good as Stewart. But we will never know and it is fun to speculate.?

I know in his podium speech at Pheonix Reed said he still had more in the tank, but didn't feel he needed to push just then. I hope that comes back to haunt him. ?

Reed fans should feel robbed if he wasn't giving it his all. ? Kind of funny he would say that since that was probably the closest he has come to beating him when he finished 2nd.

I see your point. If he was pushing it, he's not up to Stewart's level and if he wasn't pushing it, what the heck was he thinking! All I have to go on is what was said by somebody on RacerX (Matthes maybe). He saw Reed throw down a hot lap at his private track and his body english completely changed which he has not seen from Reed at a race yet.

I see your point. If he was pushing it, he's not up to Stewart's level and if he wasn't pushing it, what the heck was he thinking! All I have to go on is what was said by somebody on RacerX (Matthes maybe). He saw Reed throw down a hot lap at his private track and his body english completely changed which he has not seen from Reed at a race yet.

Well Reed needs to bring out that body english because if Stewie takes two more races then Stewie will be in the lead.

Someone is always going to have to race for wins. If we change the system Stewart would be on cruise control right now. Do we really want a that?

but you really don't know it would be that way right now.... reed said he had more right? i know what he says and what he has are 2 diff things but if they championship had a diff point system last week lets just say reed is down points due to JS getting 5 extra points per win instead of 3... reed may have pushed it more and may have taken the win...

and further more... have you ever seen JS on cruise control? that is his problem most of the time... he may have it on cruise control but his foot is still on the pedal.

• Like 1

but you really don't know it would be that way right now.... reed said he had more right? i know what he says and what he has are 2 diff things but if they championship had a diff point system last week lets just say reed is down points due to JS getting 5 extra points per win instead of 3... reed may have pushed it more and may have taken the win...

and further more... have you ever seen JS on cruise control? that is his problem most of the time... he may have it on cruise control but his foot is still on the pedal.

My point is either way if its a person benefiting from a points system that rewards wins or one that rewards consicesnty there will always be a second place guy pushing it to make up the extra points. Now I ask you with Stewart in the mix do you want the championship and the racing decided on wins which he has the monopoly on or on consistency which gives the rest of the field a shot?

How many wins did he have in the 2007 outdoor championship? I bet he could have rode around in 10th place with a bum knee and still won the championship with the proposed points change.

when did bikes start using pedals to faster? lol.

Im pretty sure if Reed had anything left he would have used it by now....all he needs is one more win and then he can take 2nd place the rest of the races and he will still win the championship. It just seems logical to me that since he obviously knows this, he would have already done all he could to get one more 1st place

Im pretty sure if Reed had anything left he would have used it by now....all he needs is one more win and then he can take 2nd place the rest of the races and he will still win the championship. It just seems logical to me that since he obviously knows this, he would have already done all he could to get one more 1st place

i agree that reed doesn't have anything else.. i was only saying that because of what was just said about him having more in his tank! i believe this is what fuels the actions he is doing with the neck grab.. practice cut offs... (if they or if they didn't happen! and whoever is to blame)

when did bikes start using pedals to faster? lol.

come on its a figure of speech!! do i really need to explain this? ??

i don't think the championship should ever be a whoever has the most wins takes it.. i do however think they should have more diff from 1st to 2nd... i think the CHAMPIONSHIP is who does the best on their bad nights as well as going for the win on the just ok nights.. thats why i think they should give more points to encourage the 2nd place guy on ANY night to go for the win!

even if they do a 25...20..18..16..14...and on and on... if you outside of the top 10.. you get just one point.. or something like that..

i have also been thinking about the "golf scoring" reverse it... it works for the outdoors overall ranking!!! lets attach points to this system to equal it... or even one step more... do the same race format... 2 heat races for points.. we would see more racing... and a bad start could be saved on the second race!! just an idea!

I'd say the best method would be to take a committee of really smart internet know-it-alls from TT, and have them come up with a point system, and then after every 2 races, get together and change it as necessary so as to keep the championship close and exciting. Might have to 25-20-45-16-13 for a race or two to let alessi or villapoto get back in the hunt.?

?