Sign in to follow this  

I need help with my brakes...please!

Ok, here are a few steps to help you out. If you do not have a power bleeder.

1) Be sure resivour master is full W/ cap on.

2) pump the brake lever a couple time hold it down.

3) Than open the bleeder on the caliper till fluid comes out you should see air bubbles coming out as well.

4) Close bleeder before releasing brake lever.

5) repeat steps till all air is out of lines and resivour.

6) Be sure to recheck resivour after a few bleeds to make sure you don't suck more air into line.

1) Be sure resivour master is full W/ cap on.

Why w/ the cap on??? I've never had a problem (w/ or w/o a bleeding tool) w/ the cap off. :p

im having a hard time with the bleeder screw..when the lever is down to the bars and i loosen the bleeder screw...a little to no fluid comes out and then nothing. Should the fluid just constantly pour out?

Thanks to everyone for helpin me.

Fluid will come out sooner or later. Keep working @ it. You want the system FULL of fluid and it can take some time.

do i take the bleeder screw all the way out each time...or just about 1 turn out?

Just loosen it enough to release pressure. You'll feel the lever move when you open the bleeder. Don't let up on the lever until you've closed the bleeder. Once the bleeder nut is closed, pump the lever again... and so on...

heres another suggestion. fill the brake reservoir up with brake fluid to the top with reservoir cap off of course. crack open the bleeder screw and let the fluid drain out while watching the resevior. Have can of brake fluid in hand and ready to pour into the reservoir. As the fluid leaks out of the now open bleeder screw just keep topping of the reservoir for a bit and then tighten down the bleeder screw. Dont let the reservoir get empty. It wont drain out too fast either so dont worry about that. Then bleed the brakes as you have been. If that doesnt work you may have some other issues going on in the caliper or master cylinder. Good luck. Just be patient I know it can get frusterating. :p

the lever right now as absoutly no feel to it...it goes straight to the bars

It will until you have fluid and not air in the system.

heres another suggestion. fill the brake reservoir up with brake fluid to the top with reservoir cap off of course. crack open the bleeder screw and let the fluid drain out while watching the resevior. Have can of brake fluid in hand and ready to pour into the reservoir. As the fluid leaks out of the now open bleeder screw just keep topping of the reservoir for a bit and then tighten down the bleeder screw. Dont let the reservoir get empty. It wont drain out too fast either so dont worry about that. Then bleed the brakes as you have been. If that doesnt work you may have some other issues going on in the caliper or master cylinder. Good luck. Just be patient I know it can get frusterating. :p

Ditto to suggestion.

Another suggestion is to take a log piece of new clear fuel line that is tight enough to go around the bleeder screw. fill a small jar or glass with brake fluid. put hose to bottom of filled jar, open bleeder and pump the hell out of the brakes ( be sure line stays in jar) like power bleeding them. This should help with getting most of the air out. Than do a final bleeding with prior suggestions till lever is stiff.

You have to take in account that these brakes do not have a power booster like a car, and if you had been pumping the brake lever with out any fluid in the resivour, you have filled the brake line with mostly air, so it may take awhile to get the air all out.

ok well i fixed it...heres what i did...i took the hose off where it connects to the caliper and kept pumping the lever.after about 30 pumps, i tightened the bolt back up and i filled the resi with fluid and startd pumping away...after about 30 more pumps i started to feel sumthin in the lever.

Lever was still soft so i went through with bleeding the brakes like you guys said and now the lever is perfect feeling.

Thanks guys.